X800 Pro vs. X800XL

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2005 1:20:56 AM

Is there any reason for someone to choose a X800Pro over a X800XL, assuming
they were both available at roughly the same price?

Thanks,
Groovy Guru

More about : x800 pro x800xl

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:20:57 AM

Pro is the faster of the two

--
ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
ATI RADEON X800XT PE

Not according to this review:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzAwLDE=

"Hawkeye" <Hawkeye__59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Pro is the faster of the two
>

> --
> ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
> ATI RADEON X800XT PE
> 1GB OCZ Gold Edition Rev3 DDR PC-3700
February 23, 2005 5:54:54 AM

"Radeon X800XL is PCI-Express The Radeon X800XL is positioned
comparatively to the X800Pro AGP with a small performance increase".

You either have an AGP or PCI-express board your looking to put it in.
your reference is comparing a PCI card to an AGP try comparing AGP
to AGP and PCI to PCI

--
ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
ATI RADEON X800XT PE
1GB OCZ Gold Edition Rev3 DDR PC-3700
February 23, 2005 5:56:36 AM

"Hawkeye" <Hawkeye__59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Pro is the faster of the two

X800XL has 400/500 clocking with 16 pipelines, bandwidth 32.0 Gb/sec. X800
Pro's 475/475 clocking, 12 pipelines and 30.4 Gb/sec bandwidth. From what I
can see the X800 Pro has more overclocking potential, but out of the box
it's not faster than the X800XL.
http://www.ocforums.com/archive/index.php/t-368061.html
February 26, 2005 4:06:10 PM

Potential newsgroup troll known as Hawkeye <Hawkeye__59@hotmail.com> typed:

> You either have an AGP or PCI-express board your looking to put it in.
> your reference is comparing a PCI card to an AGP try comparing AGP
> to AGP and PCI to PCI

You don't know you're writing about.

XL is 16 pipe card clocked at 400 MHz for the core
Pro is 12 pipe card clocked at 475 MHz....

Because there is no difference in performance between AGP or PCI-E cards so
I would buy XL...

--
[ My e-mail : maniac//at//tweak.pl ]
[ My hardware site : http://www.m4ni4c.tk/ ]

"Groovy Guru" <groovyguru@sbcglobal_remove_.net> wrote in message
> Is there any reason for someone to choose a X800Pro over a X800XL,
assuming
> they were both available at roughly the same price?

The first (Pro) is an AGP card, the latter a PCI-Express card. You are
ultimately tied to what your motherboard graphics slot is (AGP or PCI-E).

If you do go for the agp X800Pro, make sure you get the VIVO version, as i
did. This card has the same chips as its big brother and thus, doing a minor
soft mod will open up the remaining 4 pipelines and set the default clock
speeds to XT PE speeds. All it takes is a small amount of reading, 1 x
1.44mb floppy and a ton of balls (What balls ? you just paid £300 for a
graphics card, why mess with it ? - Them balls) Then hey presto, you now
have a X800XT PE, as i do :o )

G'luck.

Kirby

> Thanks,
> Groovy Guru

February 28, 2005 12:53:43 AM

Kirby wrote:
/cut/

Or he could just buy an AGP version of X800XL that's due out in March.

--

Glitches are BAD!!!
Beware...

ICQ:275699535
February 28, 2005 12:59:42 AM

"Glitch" <Glitch_120@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Kirby wrote:
> /cut/
>
> Or he could just buy an AGP version of X800XL that's due out in March.

There's always that :o )

Kirby

> --
>
> Glitches are BAD!!!
> Beware...
>
> ICQ:275699535
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:14:59 AM

this is probably going to be a really big bump, and for that i'm sorry,
but i just need to set things straight here. the one option that you
guys forgot was that he may just have a pci-e board. the fact that
there are x800pro's for pci-e seems to have slipped your minds.

if you don't believe me, well, then you need to check this link:
http://tinyurl.com/4zt4x and catch up on your research ;)

--
Son_of_Thunder
!