Administrator cannot access other other users My Documents

On a XP PRO sp2 computer I have created a user 'allan' who is in the
administrator's group.
When I login as administrator and use Explore to access the 'my documents'
of user 'allan' a message pops up 'Is not accessible. Access is denied'.
Shouldn't the administrator be able to access * every * users 'my
documents'.

--

Regards,

Allan C
6 answers Last reply
More about administrator access other users documents

    Logon with the user account and go to 'allan's profile folder in
    C:\Documents and Settings\allan\properties\Sharing... and remove the check
    mark from 'Make this folder private'.

    ---------------------------
    "Allan C" <proven_solutions@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > On a XP PRO sp2 computer I have created a user 'allan' who is in the
    > administrator's group.
    > When I login as administrator and use Explore to access the 'my documents'
    > of user 'allan' a message pops up 'Is not accessible. Access is denied'.
    > Shouldn't the administrator be able to access * every * users 'my
    > documents'.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Allan C

    Yes, I realize that 'allan' can do that if he so chooses.
    However, isn't user 'administrator' supposed to have * total * access to
    * everything * without 'allan' having to allow it?
    Otherwise, it seems to partially defeat the purpose of the user
    'administrator' as files can be hidden from him.

    Am I missing a basic concept somewhere?

    --

    Regards,

    Allan C
    "Juan" <soyquiensoy@terra.com> wrote in message

    > Logon with the user account and go to 'allan's profile folder in
    > C:\Documents and Settings\allan\properties\Sharing... and remove the check
    > mark from 'Make this folder private'.
    >

    > ---------------------------
    > "Allan C" <proven_solutions@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > > On a XP PRO sp2 computer I have created a user 'allan' who is in the
    > > administrator's group.
    > > When I login as administrator and use Explore to access the 'my
    documents'
    > > of user 'allan' a message pops up 'Is not accessible. Access is denied'.
    > > Shouldn't the administrator be able to access * every * users 'my
    > > documents'.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Allan C

    That's a feature of the NTFS file system a user can make his profile folder
    private and the administrator will not be able to access his files. To
    achieve your purpose, you'd have to use the FAT32 file system but that would
    require a reinstallation. You can convert the file system from FAT32 to
    NTFS but not viceversa.

    "Allan C" <proven_solutions@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, I realize that 'allan' can do that if he so chooses.
    > However, isn't user 'administrator' supposed to have * total * access to
    > * everything * without 'allan' having to allow it?
    > Otherwise, it seems to partially defeat the purpose of the user
    > 'administrator' as files can be hidden from him.
    >
    > Am I missing a basic concept somewhere?

    As an administrator, yes you can override permissions on any folder. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech But
    until you do so, you are limited to what permissions are assigned.

    The "make my folder private" thing is intended mainly for home use where
    most users are probably administrators anyway (unfortunately, a lot of apps
    and games require this), and just want to casually keep other people out of
    their docs.

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

    Yes, it would make sense to me that the * user administrator * would have
    capabilities over and above those users in the
    * administrators group *.

    --

    Regards,

    Allan C

    > Yes, it would make sense to me that the * user administrator * would
    > have
    > capabilities over and above those users in the
    > * administrators group *.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Allan C

    Actually in this case, it doesn't matter. Any member of the administrators
    group can take ownership+reset permissions.

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

My Documents Windows XP