X800 no power cable connected error Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2005 12:12:23 AM

I bought this card a few weeks ago and had an initial "no power cable
connected" message on booting. This was cure by a gentle jiggle of the
power lead or making sure the card was seated properly in the slot.

The message occured about half a dozen or so times now I can't get the
machine to boot with the card in at all.

I have a 350W supply but only 1 HDD and CD-ROM. I tried a friends 450W
supply with no difference.

I replaced the cable that supplies the card and HDD as I though that may be
worn, but no success.

It's a second hand card so I can't send it back to anyone.... 8(

Any suggestions on what else I can try?? Anything? Voodoo?

I'd hate to have to shell out again for another, at least not till I get a
pay rise in April !!

TIA
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:31:59 AM

In article <sJ6dnWTIQZaTbYHfRVn-vQ@pipex.net>, Nick Dalton says...
> I bought this card a few weeks ago and had an initial "no power cable
> connected" message on booting. This was cure by a gentle jiggle of the
> power lead or making sure the card was seated properly in the slot.
>
> The message occured about half a dozen or so times now I can't get the
> machine to boot with the card in at all.
>
> I have a 350W supply but only 1 HDD and CD-ROM. I tried a friends 450W
> supply with no difference.
>
> I replaced the cable that supplies the card and HDD as I though that may be
> worn, but no success.
>
> It's a second hand card so I can't send it back to anyone.... 8(
>
> Any suggestions on what else I can try?? Anything? Voodoo?

Take it to an electronics repair shop and ask them to resolder the
joints on the power connector.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 12:28:54 AM

"Conor" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
> In article <sJ6dnWTIQZaTbYHfRVn-vQ@pipex.net>, Nick Dalton says...
>> I bought this card a few weeks ago and had an initial "no power cable
>> connected" message on booting. This was cure by a gentle jiggle of the
>> power lead or making sure the card was seated properly in the slot.
>>
>> The message occured about half a dozen or so times now I can't get the
>> machine to boot with the card in at all.
>>
>> I have a 350W supply but only 1 HDD and CD-ROM. I tried a friends 450W
>> supply with no difference.
>>
>> I replaced the cable that supplies the card and HDD as I though that may
>> be
>> worn, but no success.
>>
>> It's a second hand card so I can't send it back to anyone.... 8(
>>
>> Any suggestions on what else I can try?? Anything? Voodoo?
>>
> Take it to an electronics repair shop and ask them to resolder the
> joints on the power connector.
>

> --
> Conor
>
> An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
> -- George Patton

Will try that !! Cheers 8))
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:53:48 PM

"Nick Dalton" <ndalton@PANTSnildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Conor" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
>> In article <sJ6dnWTIQZaTbYHfRVn-vQ@pipex.net>, Nick Dalton says...
>>> I bought this card a few weeks ago and had an initial "no power cable
>>> connected" message on booting. This was cure by a gentle jiggle of the
>>> power lead or making sure the card was seated properly in the slot.
>>>
>>> The message occured about half a dozen or so times now I can't get the
>>> machine to boot with the card in at all.
>>>
>>> I have a 350W supply but only 1 HDD and CD-ROM. I tried a friends 450W
>>> supply with no difference.
>>>
>>> I replaced the cable that supplies the card and HDD as I though that may
>>> be
>>> worn, but no success.
>>>
>>> It's a second hand card so I can't send it back to anyone.... 8(
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on what else I can try?? Anything? Voodoo?
>>>
>> Take it to an electronics repair shop and ask them to resolder the
>> joints on the power connector.
>>

>> --
>> Conor
>>
>> An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
>> -- George Patton
>
> Will try that !! Cheers 8))

Tried it, no joy! Left with a £200+ paperweight !!!

Unless anyone has anymore ideas.........
!