Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

5450 dead!

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
April 29, 2004 3:39:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi all,

Didnt cradle my 5450 last night. Came to it this morning and its totally
unresponsive. Cannot turn it on, cannot soft reset. Its dead. I have now
pluuged it into the cradle and there is no flashing orange charging light
and it still wont respond. Any ideas? This thing is one year old exactly.

Many thanks, Shaun.

More about : 5450 dead

April 29, 2004 3:39:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:39:31 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Didnt cradle my 5450 last night. Came to it this morning and its totally
>unresponsive. Cannot turn it on, cannot soft reset. Its dead. I have now
>pluuged it into the cradle and there is no flashing orange charging light
>and it still wont respond. Any ideas? This thing is one year old exactly.
>
>Many thanks, Shaun.
>
April 29, 2004 3:39:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:39:31 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>Any ideas?

1) Remove the battery

2) Pretend to do a soft reset while the battery is off

3) Replace the battery.

You may, in actuality, be doing a hard reset and have to re-install
everything. This unit is prone to this; it's known as spontaneous hard
reset.

A_C
Related resources
April 29, 2004 4:11:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:s0n190t8nujdl0dfgkf51gmupbv3mqm3hb@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:39:31 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>
> >Any ideas?
>
> 1) Remove the battery
>
> 2) Pretend to do a soft reset while the battery is off
>
> 3) Replace the battery.
>
> You may, in actuality, be doing a hard reset and have to re-install
> everything. This unit is prone to this; it's known as spontaneous hard
> reset.
>
> A_C

Thanks A_C but it didnt work - dead as a dodo. Shaun
April 29, 2004 4:11:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:11:08 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>
>Thanks A_C but it didnt work - dead as a dodo. Shaun

How long did you leave the battery off for?

After doing this, did the charging light come on?

If not, yes indeed, it seems you may have a dead unit. Don't be afraid
to insist on an 555x as a replacement. It worked for me, but I had to
be _very_ insistent to the clerk at the Indian call center in order to
elevate my issue Stateside.

A_C
April 29, 2004 4:24:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:imo190tka9pfopc7j3so4b7ti9fh157e0r@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:11:08 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>
> >
> >Thanks A_C but it didnt work - dead as a dodo. Shaun
>
> How long did you leave the battery off for?
>
> After doing this, did the charging light come on?
>
> If not, yes indeed, it seems you may have a dead unit. Don't be afraid
> to insist on an 555x as a replacement. It worked for me, but I had to
> be _very_ insistent to the clerk at the Indian call center in order to
> elevate my issue Stateside.
>
> A_C
>
>

Thanks for replying A_C. How long 'should' I leave the battery off for?
Only left it about 10mins last time. Cheers Shaun
April 29, 2004 4:24:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:24:50 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>Thanks for replying A_C. How long 'should' I leave the battery off for?
>Only left it about 10mins last time. Cheers Shaun

That should be more than enough. This thread may be of interest to
you:

http://tinyurl.com/ytngx

Good luck,

A_C
April 29, 2004 4:48:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:c7p190lrcph6ra88l3hp4u4chelb2r601a@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:24:50 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for replying A_C. How long 'should' I leave the battery off for?
> >Only left it about 10mins last time. Cheers Shaun
>
> That should be more than enough. This thread may be of interest to
> you:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ytngx
>
> Good luck,
>
> A_C
>
>

Thanks A_C. Thread had me ROFL. Entertaining but they didnt go out of
their way to help you too much did they? Thanks for trying to help. Looks
like I need to Google some more. Shaun.
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 4:48:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:48:08 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>
>"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>news:c7p190lrcph6ra88l3hp4u4chelb2r601a@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:24:50 +0100, "Shawk"
>> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks for replying A_C. How long 'should' I leave the battery off for?
>> >Only left it about 10mins last time. Cheers Shaun
>>
>> That should be more than enough. This thread may be of interest to
>> you:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/ytngx
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> A_C
>>
>>
>
>Thanks A_C. Thread had me ROFL. Entertaining but they didnt go out of
>their way to help you too much did they? Thanks for trying to help. Looks
>like I need to Google some more. Shaun.

Hi,

Strange enough what you experienced has happened to me several times.

On the left side of my iPaq 5455 next to the wireless connections sits
a push knob with a plus and a minus sign.

When my unit was dead and I mean dead the unit would boot but the blue
banner saying "My info" would never come on thus keeping me hanging, A
soft reset wouldn't help me since I came back to the same screen ..
:-)

By accident I touched the + sign as earlier explained and suddenly the
banner appeared and I was on my way. Could this be the solution to you
as well?

Best regards (gps_user@hotmail.com)
51°02'09.72" N 3°44'26.04" (WGS 84)
iPaq 5455 owner and User
Compaq PCMCIA Double Expansion Sleeve
Resco File explorer
Tom Tom Europe & GPSAssist
... and lots more
April 29, 2004 5:06:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
news:1083238918.31999.0@echo.uk.clara.net...
>
> "Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:c7p190lrcph6ra88l3hp4u4chelb2r601a@4ax.com...
> > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:24:50 +0100, "Shawk"
> > <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
> >
> > >Thanks for replying A_C. How long 'should' I leave the battery off
for?
> > >Only left it about 10mins last time. Cheers Shaun
> >
> > That should be more than enough. This thread may be of interest to
> > you:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/ytngx
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > A_C
> >
> >
>
> Thanks A_C. Thread had me ROFL. Entertaining but they didnt go out of
> their way to help you too much did they? Thanks for trying to help.
Looks
> like I need to Google some more. Shaun.
>
>

Ok - left the battery out for 1/2hr and it worked. As you said it did do a
hard reset though. Thanks again - appreciate it. Shaun.
April 29, 2004 5:20:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Fanatic GPS User" <gps_user@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:vgr190tovqmpgb67ggfa98icbed4t7vigi@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:48:08 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>
> >
> >"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> >news:c7p190lrcph6ra88l3hp4u4chelb2r601a@4ax.com...
> >> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:24:50 +0100, "Shawk"
> >> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Thanks for replying A_C. How long 'should' I leave the battery off
for?
> >> >Only left it about 10mins last time. Cheers Shaun
> >>
> >> That should be more than enough. This thread may be of interest to
> >> you:
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/ytngx
> >>
> >> Good luck,
> >>
> >> A_C
> >>
> >>
> >
> >Thanks A_C. Thread had me ROFL. Entertaining but they didnt go out of
> >their way to help you too much did they? Thanks for trying to help.
Looks
> >like I need to Google some more. Shaun.
>
> Hi,
>
> Strange enough what you experienced has happened to me several times.
>
> On the left side of my iPaq 5455 next to the wireless connections sits
> a push knob with a plus and a minus sign.
>
> When my unit was dead and I mean dead the unit would boot but the blue
> banner saying "My info" would never come on thus keeping me hanging, A
> soft reset wouldn't help me since I came back to the same screen ..
> :-)
>
> By accident I touched the + sign as earlier explained and suddenly the
> banner appeared and I was on my way. Could this be the solution to you
> as well?
>
> Best regards (gps_user@hotmail.com)
> 51°02'09.72" N 3°44'26.04" (WGS 84)
> iPaq 5455 owner and User
> Compaq PCMCIA Double Expansion Sleeve
> Resco File explorer
> Tom Tom Europe & GPSAssist
> .. and lots more
>

Got the thing going again now so cant try it but will definitely remember
this in case it happens again (taking note of your line 'happened to me
several times'). Many thanks. Shaun
April 29, 2004 11:39:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>Got the thing going again [...]

What did the trick?

CK

Posted via www.My-Newsgroups.com - web to news gateway for usenet access!
!