3 laptops at home wireless help !!

Hi,

I have 3 laptops at home and I want to connect them wirelessly..
what should I do?
will it be 100% wireless or 1 laptop SHOULD be connected to an AP?
thanks !!
6 answers Last reply
More about laptops home wireless

    Walid, if your question is do you need to have one of the laptops hooked to
    the AP by cable, the answer is no, except for the inital set up then you
    likely will. Once you get it set up you can have all three hook up
    wirelessly.

    Hope that helps.

    ---
    John A. Wolf
    jawlaw@hotmail.com

    "Walid" <walid97@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have 3 laptops at home and I want to connect them wirelessly..
    > what should I do?
    > will it be 100% wireless or 1 laptop SHOULD be connected to an AP?
    > thanks !!

    A wireless router (which would be the AP) and a wireless card in each laptop
    is basically all you need. Of course you will need to get to the outside
    world from your router, usually via a cable or DSL modem. Also, if you don't
    have a wireless router yet, get one that has ports for 4 wired computers and
    also that includes a print server. Then you can use your wired ports as a
    way of getting to the internet if something is wrong with your wireless
    cards, or you could add a desktop to the mix. And with a print server, all
    of your laptops would have independent access to your printer.

    "Walid" <walid97@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have 3 laptops at home and I want to connect them wirelessly..
    > what should I do?
    > will it be 100% wireless or 1 laptop SHOULD be connected to an AP?
    > thanks !!

    Oh..Ok.. so the AP will be hooked to the power supply only..like a regular
    switch..

    About the configuration, is it like a regular LAN ? give IPs and
    SubnetMask?? anything unusual in wireless ?

    what is a good, not expensive AP?

    Hi.

    May be this too can Help: http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122
    Ignore the prices in the link above. The same or similar hardware can be
    found for 60%-90% less.

    Wireless What Should I Get?: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    Jack (MVP-networking).

    "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > A wireless router (which would be the AP) and a wireless card in each
    laptop
    > is basically all you need. Of course you will need to get to the outside
    > world from your router, usually via a cable or DSL modem. Also, if you
    don't
    > have a wireless router yet, get one that has ports for 4 wired computers
    and
    > also that includes a print server. Then you can use your wired ports as a
    > way of getting to the internet if something is wrong with your wireless
    > cards, or you could add a desktop to the mix. And with a print server, all
    > of your laptops would have independent access to your printer.
    >
    > "Walid" <walid97@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have 3 laptops at home and I want to connect them wirelessly..
    > > what should I do?
    > > will it be 100% wireless or 1 laptop SHOULD be connected to an AP?
    > > thanks !!

    Well, yes this was my point.. do I need to "get to the outside orld from the
    router, usually via a cable or DSL modem".. say I dont want that, no
    internet, just 3 laptops..do I need to connect the router/AP to any cable
    but the power supply??

    John Wolf said that I dont need to, but other ppl are telling me that I HAVE
    to connect the router/AP...
    feeling lost here !!

    "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > A wireless router (which would be the AP) and a wireless card in each
    laptop
    > is basically all you need. Of course you will need to get to the outside
    > world from your router, usually via a cable or DSL modem. Also, if you
    don't
    > have a wireless router yet, get one that has ports for 4 wired computers
    and
    > also that includes a print server. Then you can use your wired ports as a
    > way of getting to the internet if something is wrong with your wireless
    > cards, or you could add a desktop to the mix. And with a print server, all
    > of your laptops would have independent access to your printer.
    >
    > "Walid" <walid97@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have 3 laptops at home and I want to connect them wirelessly..
    > > what should I do?
    > > will it be 100% wireless or 1 laptop SHOULD be connected to an AP?
    > > thanks !!

    No. If all you want is a LAN, you don't need to connect your router to a
    modem.

    > Well, yes this was my point.. do I need to "get to the outside orld from
    the
    > router, usually via a cable or DSL modem".. say I dont want that, no
    > internet, just 3 laptops..do I need to connect the router/AP to any cable
    > but the power supply??
    >
    > John Wolf said that I dont need to, but other ppl are telling me that I
    HAVE
    > to connect the router/AP...
    > feeling lost here !!
    >

    > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > A wireless router (which would be the AP) and a wireless card in each
    > laptop
    > > is basically all you need. Of course you will need to get to the outside
    > > world from your router, usually via a cable or DSL modem. Also, if you
    > don't
    > > have a wireless router yet, get one that has ports for 4 wired computers
    > and
    > > also that includes a print server. Then you can use your wired ports as
    > > way of getting to the internet if something is wrong with your wireless
    > > cards, or you could add a desktop to the mix. And with a print server,
    all
    > > of your laptops would have independent access to your printer.
    > >
    > > "Walid" <walid97@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I have 3 laptops at home and I want to connect them wirelessly..
    > > > what should I do?
    > > > will it be 100% wireless or 1 laptop SHOULD be connected to an AP?
    > > > thanks !!

Wireless Laptops Networking Microsoft Wireless Networking Product