Trouble with screen resolution & colour

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I am having trouble with the screen resolution & colour quality settings on
an old Dell, PII with 128mb & running Win98SE. It has an ATI Rage Pro Turbo
AGP 2X display adapter and I can't get the screen resolution above 640 x 480
or the colour quality above 16 colours. When I change the settings and
restart the computer, it goes back to 640 x 480 and 16 colours.

I downloaded the newest Rage Pro Turbo driver from ATI's site, but when I
went to install it, it stops and says something about the driver not being
the right one for the card type.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble with the screen resolution & colour quality
>settings on an old Dell, PII with 128mb & running Win98SE. It has an
>ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2X display adapter and I can't get the screen
>resolution above 640 x 480 or the colour quality above 16 colours. When
>I change the settings and restart the computer, it goes back to 640 x
>480 and 16 colours.
>
> I downloaded the newest Rage Pro Turbo driver from ATI's site, but
> when I went to install it, it stops and says something about the
> driver not being the right one for the card type.

Did you download and install the Windows 98 version of the ATI driver?
Or perhaps did you download the Windows NT, 2000, or XP version of the
driver? Did you download the Rage 128 Pro driver, or the Rage Pro
driver?

The Product Details from Software Utilities on your ATI CD or the ATI
website
http://www.ati.com/support/identify/softutils.html

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Pretty sure I had the 98 drivers for the Rage Pro. Not as stupid as I
probably come off with this question, but not my computer (really outdated
system) and I just got done getting rid of 65 viruses for this person and
got their system stable for the first time in a long time (they also had
huge amounts of spyware and adware and their browser was hijacked to boot).

Had to fix their mouse while I was at it and the display problem was the
last thing I wanted to fix before giving it back to them in the morning. She
said the screen has been at this resolution for a while now, so I wasn't
sure if the viruses messed it up or their kids deleted something by accident
(she didn't give me much to go on, just dropped it in my lap and asked if I
could fix it).

Anyways, thanks again and will try the utility in the morning.
Mike

"Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> "Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am having trouble with the screen resolution & colour quality settings
>>on an old Dell, PII with 128mb & running Win98SE. It has an ATI Rage Pro
>>Turbo AGP 2X display adapter and I can't get the screen resolution above
>>640 x 480 or the colour quality above 16 colours. When I change the
>>settings and restart the computer, it goes back to 640 x 480 and 16
>>colours.
>>
>> I downloaded the newest Rage Pro Turbo driver from ATI's site, but when I
>> went to install it, it stops and says something about the driver not
>> being the right one for the card type.
>

> Did you download and install the Windows 98 version of the ATI driver? Or
> perhaps did you download the Windows NT, 2000, or XP version of the
> driver? Did you download the Rage 128 Pro driver, or the Rage Pro driver?
>
> The Product Details from Software Utilities on your ATI CD or the ATI
> website
> http://www.ati.com/support/identify/softutils.html

> Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
> E-mail reply: Remove "NIXTHIS" and add "#VS811" to Subject.

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.advocacy,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Well known Troll !

*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:- ¸ô¶ó -:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*

¸ô¶ó

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Pretty sure I had the 98 drivers for the Rage Pro. Not as stupid
> as I probably come off with this question, but not my computer
> (really outdated system) and I just got done getting rid of 65
> viruses for this person and got their system stable for the
> first time in a long time (they also had huge amounts of spyware
> and adware and their browser was hijacked to boot).
>
> Had to fix their mouse while I was at it and the display problem
> was the last thing I wanted to fix before giving it back to them
> in the morning. She said the screen has been at this resolution
> for a while now, so I wasn't sure if the viruses messed it up or
> their kids deleted something by accident (she didn't give me
> much to go on, just dropped it in my lap and asked if I could
> fix it).
>
> Anyways, thanks again and will try the utility in the morning.
> Mike

Try;
Start in safe mode and remove the device(s) from control panel.
Re-boot and install a standard vga driver.
Re-boot and install the ati drivers.
Re-boot and all should be fine.

--
Ian

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.advocacy,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Well known tosser.

--
Ann Robinson told me
"You /are/ the weakest beloved patriot"

"Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

> "Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Pretty sure I had the 98 drivers for the Rage Pro. Not as stupid as I
>> probably come off with this question, but not my computer (really
>> outdated system) and I just got done getting rid of 65 viruses for this
>> person and got their system stable for the first time in a long time
>> (they also had huge amounts of spyware and adware and their browser was
>> hijacked to boot).
>>
>> Had to fix their mouse while I was at it and the display problem was the
>> last thing I wanted to fix before giving it back to them in the morning.
>> She said the screen has been at this resolution for a while now, so I
>> wasn't sure if the viruses messed it up or their kids deleted something
>> by accident (she didn't give me much to go on, just dropped it in my lap
>> and asked if I could fix it).
>>
>> Anyways, thanks again and will try the utility in the morning.
>> Mike
>
> Try;
> Start in safe mode and remove the device(s) from control panel.
> Re-boot and install a standard vga driver.
> Re-boot and install the ati drivers.
> Re-boot and all should be fine.
>
> --
> Ian

Hi Mike, A lot of Dell machines use a modified ATI video card, And the ATI
drivers will not work, You need the Dell modified drivers for these units.
Try the Dell site and use the serial number from the machine to pinpoint
them. Or if you have the original Dell CDs that came with the machine the
drivers are on those disks also.
Let us know if you have any luck.

--
Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Thank you very much Rene! That did the trick downloading the Dell modified
drivers from their site. The ATI drivers kept screwing it up for me and she
didn't give me any disks to use.

Many thanks again and have a nice day,
Mike

"Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mike" <mikpower71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Pretty sure I had the 98 drivers for the Rage Pro. Not as stupid as I
>>> probably come off with this question, but not my computer (really
>>> outdated system) and I just got done getting rid of 65 viruses for this
>>> person and got their system stable for the first time in a long time
>>> (they also had huge amounts of spyware and adware and their browser was
>>> hijacked to boot).
>>>
>>> Had to fix their mouse while I was at it and the display problem was the
>>> last thing I wanted to fix before giving it back to them in the morning.
>>> She said the screen has been at this resolution for a while now, so I
>>> wasn't sure if the viruses messed it up or their kids deleted something
>>> by accident (she didn't give me much to go on, just dropped it in my lap
>>> and asked if I could fix it).
>>>
>>> Anyways, thanks again and will try the utility in the morning.
>>> Mike
>>
>> Try;
>> Start in safe mode and remove the device(s) from control panel.
>> Re-boot and install a standard vga driver.
>> Re-boot and install the ati drivers.
>> Re-boot and all should be fine.
>>
>> --
>> Ian
>>

> Hi Mike, A lot of Dell machines use a modified ATI video card, And the
> ATI drivers will not work, You need the Dell modified drivers for these
> units.
> Try the Dell site and use the serial number from the machine to pinpoint
> them. Or if you have the original Dell CDs that came with the machine the
> drivers are on those disks also.
> Let us know if you have any luck.
>

> --
> Regards, Rene Lamontagne

Relic

borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
> Well known Troll !

> ¸ô¶ó

Then change your nick.

--
If there is a Tourist Season, how come we can't shoot them?

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Your very welcome

--
Regards, Rene Lamontagne