Folder properties

June 18, 2005 1:29:07 PM

My computer has one drive and two partitions: C and D. It is running
Windows XP Pro under domain administrator account. I notice that both C and
D are shared according to Properties -> Sharing. However, the drive C and D
are not shared to anyone. In addition, all folders under C and D have
Read-only attribute. Again, it is untrue and I can write anything on both C
and D drives. They are very confused to me and can anyone advise what they
mean accurately.

Thanks,

Ray

More about : folder properties

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:29:08 PM

"Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
> My computer has one drive and two partitions: C and D. It is running
> Windows XP Pro under domain administrator account. I notice that both C
> and D are shared according to Properties -> Sharing. However, the drive C
> and D are not shared to anyone. In addition, all folders under C and D
> have Read-only attribute. Again, it is untrue and I can write anything on
> both C and D drives. They are very confused to me and can anyone advise
> what they mean accurately.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

The read-only attribute is normal for folders and doesn't mean anything.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326549 Are you sure it's checked, or is
it a solid box? This means different things.

On Windows XP Pro, all hard drives are shared by default, but only
administrators can get access. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314984 if you want
to change this (if other people on your local network have admin rights to
your machine, they can turn it back on anyway so you aren't really securing
anything.)

So basically, both of these things are normal =)

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP

Colin,

Thanks for your useful information.

>Are you sure it's checked, or is it a solid box? This means different
>things.

You are right that it is a solid box. What does it mean?

Thanks,

Ray

"Colin Nash [MVP]" <cnash x@x mvps.org> wrote in message

> "Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
>> My computer has one drive and two partitions: C and D. It is running
>> Windows XP Pro under domain administrator account. I notice that both C
>> and D are shared according to Properties -> Sharing. However, the drive
>> C and D are not shared to anyone. In addition, all folders under C and D
>> have Read-only attribute. Again, it is untrue and I can write anything
>> on both C and D drives. They are very confused to me and can anyone
>> advise what they mean accurately.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ray
>>

> The read-only attribute is normal for folders and doesn't mean anything.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326549 Are you sure it's checked, or is
> it a solid box? This means different things.
>
> On Windows XP Pro, all hard drives are shared by default, but only
> administrators can get access. See
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314984 if you
> want to change this (if other people on your local network have admin
> rights to your machine, they can turn it back on anyway so you aren't
> really securing anything.)
>
> So basically, both of these things are normal =)
>

> --
> Colin Nash
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

June 18, 2005 9:36:30 PM

> Colin,
>
> Thanks for your useful information.
>
>>Are you sure it's checked, or is it a solid box? This means different
>>things.
>
> You are right that it is a solid box. What does it mean?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

In this case it means that the item is neither read-only or not
read-only -- basically, that setting is not meaningful when placed on a
folder.
June 23, 2005 12:16:15 AM

Colin,

It doesn't make sense to me that Microsoft creates something meaningless.

!