Folder properties

My computer has one drive and two partitions: C and D. It is running
Windows XP Pro under domain administrator account. I notice that both C and
D are shared according to Properties -> Sharing. However, the drive C and D
are not shared to anyone. In addition, all folders under C and D have
Read-only attribute. Again, it is untrue and I can write anything on both C
and D drives. They are very confused to me and can anyone advise what they
mean accurately.

Thanks,

Ray
4 answers Last reply
More about folder properties

    "Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
    > My computer has one drive and two partitions: C and D. It is running
    > Windows XP Pro under domain administrator account. I notice that both C
    > and D are shared according to Properties -> Sharing. However, the drive C
    > and D are not shared to anyone. In addition, all folders under C and D
    > have Read-only attribute. Again, it is untrue and I can write anything on
    > both C and D drives. They are very confused to me and can anyone advise
    > what they mean accurately.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    The read-only attribute is normal for folders and doesn't mean anything.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326549 Are you sure it's checked, or is
    it a solid box? This means different things.

    On Windows XP Pro, all hard drives are shared by default, but only
    administrators can get access. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314984 if you want
    to change this (if other people on your local network have admin rights to
    your machine, they can turn it back on anyway so you aren't really securing
    anything.)

    So basically, both of these things are normal =)

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

    Colin,

    Thanks for your useful information.

    >Are you sure it's checked, or is it a solid box? This means different
    >things.

    You are right that it is a solid box. What does it mean?

    Thanks,

    Ray

    > Colin,
    >
    > Thanks for your useful information.
    >
    >>Are you sure it's checked, or is it a solid box? This means different
    >>things.
    >
    > You are right that it is a solid box. What does it mean?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    In this case it means that the item is neither read-only or not
    read-only -- basically, that setting is not meaningful when placed on a
    folder.

    Colin,

    It doesn't make sense to me that Microsoft creates something meaningless.

    > "Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
    >> Colin,
    >>
    >> Thanks for your useful information.
    >>
    >>>Are you sure it's checked, or is it a solid box? This means different
    >>>things.
    >>
    >> You are right that it is a solid box. What does it mean?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Ray
    >>

    > In this case it means that the item is neither read-only or not
    > read-only -- basically, that setting is not meaningful when placed on a
    > folder.

Windows XP