Make shared folder read-only for a local user

My other computer at home has xp professional without internet access.
There are only two accounts on the computer. My account belongs to the group
ADMINISTRATOR. I have some files in the shared folder. I would like to
make those files read only for my three year old. I created her account as a
USER. I've set the security for USER to read-only, but somehow I log into
her account and still can delete files in the shared folder. Then I tried
to create a new group and add her into that group and make that group
read-only, still it didn't work.

Could someone please help me with a step by step instruction just for this
purpose? Reading "How to configure file sharing in Windows XP" was not
helpful. It was too general.

Thanks a bunch!
1 answer Last reply
More about make shared folder read only local user

    Try these articles.

    How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows
    XP

    (308418) - Explains how to set and modify permissions in Windows XP.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and
    folders in Windows XP

    (308419) - Describes how to configure special permissions for files and
    folders in Windows XP.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    "mdathena" <mdathena@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > My other computer at home has xp professional without internet access.
    > There are only two accounts on the computer. My account belongs to the
    group
    > ADMINISTRATOR. I have some files in the shared folder. I would like to
    > make those files read only for my three year old. I created her account
    as a
    > USER. I've set the security for USER to read-only, but somehow I log into
    > her account and still can delete files in the shared folder. Then I
    tried
    > to create a new group and add her into that group and make that group
    > read-only, still it didn't work.
    >
    > Could someone please help me with a step by step instruction just for this
    > purpose? Reading "How to configure file sharing in Windows XP" was not
    > helpful. It was too general.
    >
    > Thanks a bunch!

Security Read Only Computers Windows XP