call me stupid

I guess what I'm tryin to ask is: I want to get an lcd monitor. I'm also
getting a new video card (radeon 9600XT). If I get an ati tv wonder, will it
work on the lcd. Sorry I'm so dense, I dont get alot of oxygen to my brain
these days. Thanks to all who have tried to help me. Bo

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 04:02:50 -0500, "Billy Retherford"
<hardwoodman@cox.net> wrote:

>I guess what I'm tryin to ask is: I want to get an lcd monitor. I'm also
>getting a new video card (radeon 9600XT). If I get an ati tv wonder, will it
>work on the lcd. Sorry I'm so dense, I dont get alot of oxygen to my brain
>these days. Thanks to all who have tried to help me. Bo

Yes.

There is no connection between the tuner card (TV wonder or any other)
and the monitor. If the monitor works with the video card, then the TV
card will work with the monitor.

However, I'd recommend the Hauppauge PVR 150 instead of the TV wonder.
The picture quality is much better, and if you ever decide to go that
route, the Hauppauge card will work with XP MCE (media center edition),
while the ATI card won't (the Hauppauge card has hardware MPEG, the ATI
card does not). The price is similar if you catch the card on sale
(Circuit city and CompUSA have both had it for $70 when it was on sale).

Also if the 9600XT does not have a DVI output, I'd look for a card that
does (although, I think it does).

Billy Retherford wrote:

> I guess what I'm tryin to ask is: I want to get an lcd monitor. I'm also
> getting a new video card (radeon 9600XT). If I get an ati tv wonder, will it
> work on the lcd. Sorry I'm so dense, I dont get alot of oxygen to my brain
> these days. Thanks to all who have tried to help me. Bo

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:30:50 GMT, Barry Watzman
<WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:

>Also if the 9600XT does not have a DVI output, I'd look for a card that
>does (although, I think it does).

The 9600XT does have DVI. (Using it now actually!)

The 9600 A-I-W does not. (For the life of me I have no idea why they
left that feature out of an otherwise decent video card)

"singha_lvr" <singha_lvr@nospam.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:30:50 GMT, Barry Watzman
> <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
>

> >Also if the 9600XT does not have a DVI output, I'd look for a card that
> >does (although, I think it does).
>
> The 9600XT does have DVI. (Using it now actually!)
>
> The 9600 A-I-W does not. (For the life of me I have no idea why they
> left that feature out of an otherwise decent video card)

Mine does not either. The 9600 is an older design.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Using a 9600 AIW into a Samsung 193P LCD monitor. works great. queried
Samsung about not having a DVI card. they told me essentially didn't need
one.

T Shadow wrote:

> "singha_lvr" <singha_lvr@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:30:50 GMT, Barry Watzman
>> <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
>>

>> >Also if the 9600XT does not have a DVI output, I'd look for a card that
>> >does (although, I think it does).
>>
>> The 9600XT does have DVI. (Using it now actually!)
>>
>> The 9600 A-I-W does not. (For the life of me I have no idea why they
>> left that feature out of an otherwise decent video card)
>>
> Mine does not either. The 9600 is an older design.

???? Older than _what_?

The 9600 is most assuredly newer than the 9700 and of the same generation as
the 9800. Further, the 9800 AIW shipped _before_ the 9600 AIW. The reason
for no DVI appears to be that ATI chose to provide the 9600AIW with two
analog ports instead, vs only one monitor port on the previous generations
of AIW. Has nothing to do with the age of the board or the chip or the
design. My 8500AIW, which predates the 9700 and 9500, has a DVI port, but
only one, and no analog VGA port.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> T Shadow wrote:
>
>card)
> >>
> > Mine does not either. The 9600 is an older design.
>
> ???? Older than _what_?
>
> The 9600 is most assuredly newer than the 9700 and of the same generation
as
> the 9800. Further, the 9800 AIW shipped _before_ the 9600 AIW. The
reason
> for no DVI appears to be that ATI chose to provide the 9600AIW with two
> analog ports instead, vs only one monitor port on the previous generations
> of AIW. Has nothing to do with the age of the board or the chip or the
> design. My 8500AIW, which predates the 9700 and 9500, has a DVI port, but
> only one, and no analog VGA port.

Older than whats being designed now. It was an off hand comment not a
challenge.

http://www.paxil.com

The image quality is better with DVI.

john wrote:

> Using a 9600 AIW into a Samsung 193P LCD monitor. works great. queried
> Samsung about not having a DVI card. they told me essentially didn't need
> one.
> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>"singha_lvr" <singha_lvr@nospam.net> wrote in message

>>>The 9600XT does have DVI. (Using it now actually!)
>>>
>>>The 9600 A-I-W does not. (For the life of me I have no idea why they
>>>left that feature out of an otherwise decent video card)
>>>

>>Mine does not either. The 9600 is an older design.

Re: T Shadow wrote: "My 8500AIW, which predates the 9700 and 9500, has
.... no analog VGA port."

Actually, it does. There is an analog VGA port imbedded within the
DVI-I port. The card came with an adapter to allow use of that port.
It didn't come with an adapter to allow use of both the VGA and digital
portion of the DVI port, but in principle, one could be built. I don't
know, architecturally, if those ports are capable of independent use or
not, but I believe that they may be.

Barry Watzman wrote:

> Re: T Shadow wrote: "My 8500AIW, which predates the 9700 and 9500, has
> ... no analog VGA port."
>
> Actually, it does. There is an analog VGA port imbedded within the
> DVI-I port. The card came with an adapter to allow use of that port.
> It didn't come with an adapter to allow use of both the VGA and digital
> portion of the DVI port, but in principle, one could be built. I don't
> know, architecturally, if those ports are capable of independent use or
> not, but I believe that they may be.

Barry, please don't be so damned pedantic. I know damned well that I can
use the analog pins on the DVI-I port to run an analog monitor and in fact
did that for years, but it is still a DVI-I port, not a 15-pin high-density
subminiature-D analog VGA connector.

--

Barry Watzman wrote:

> The image quality is better with DVI.

Not always. For example I have a Matrox board that cannot drive a current
generation LCD at its design resolution from the DVI port.

Sometimes there is a noticeable difference between DVI and analog at the
design resolution, sometimes not.

> Re: T Shadow wrote: "My 8500AIW, which predates the 9700 and 9500, has
> ... no analog VGA port."
>
> Actually, it does. There is an analog VGA port imbedded within the
> DVI-I port. The card came with an adapter to allow use of that port.
> It didn't come with an adapter to allow use of both the VGA and digital
> portion of the DVI port, but in principle, one could be built. I don't
> know, architecturally, if those ports are capable of independent use or
> not, but I believe that they may be.

Didn't write it and and never owned any of those cards.

I've never seen a case where, when the DVI port worked (at the correct
native resolution of the display), the DVI image was inferior to the
analog image. I do agree with your second statment that sometimes the
difference is noticeable and sometimes it's not.

As to cases in which the DVI port doesn't seem to work (either "at all"
or at the native resolution of the panel), those are usually caused by
either the wrong cable type (using a single-link cable when a dual-link
cable is required) or by incompatability between the LCD monitor's
firmware and the firmware and/or drivers for the video card.

DVI devices have a "DDC" (data display channel) which is a 2-way serial
port over which the monitor and video card "talk" to each other about
what resolutions and refresh rates are supported, etc.

Although it's become a lot less common, there have been firmware
incompatabilities between some DVI LCD monitors and some video cards
(either the firmware or the drivers) in which this exchange could not
properly take place. Some video card drivers (including quite a few ATI
drivers) will not allow manual override of this "feature", leaving you
"stuck" at the wrong resolution or refresh rate (often 640x480x16, but
sometimes a higher, but still wrong, configuration).