"Access Denied" on Documents and Settings folder.

My computer died so I took the harddrive out and put it in my other computer
as a second drive (not the drive to boot from). Now everything under the
F:\Documents & Settings\Len" directory cannot be accessed. If I look at the
"Len" directory and all of it's subdirectories on the second drive "Make this
folder private" is not check so I don't understand why I can't read it. In
fact the "Make this folder private" is not checked. If it helps any the
drive is an NTFS drive.
6 answers Last reply
More about access denied documents settings folder

    Christy wrote:
    > My computer died so I took the harddrive out and put it in my other computer
    > as a second drive (not the drive to boot from). Now everything under the
    > F:\Documents & Settings\Len" directory cannot be accessed. If I look at the
    > "Len" directory and all of it's subdirectories on the second drive "Make this
    > folder private" is not check so I don't understand why I can't read it. In
    > fact the "Make this folder private" is not checked. If it helps any the
    > drive is an NTFS drive.

    HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    When I click on "Properties" on the subdirectory I don't have a "Security" tab.

    Christy wrote:
    > *When I click on "Properties" on the subdirectory I don't have a
    > "Security" tab.
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
    >
    > > Christy wrote:
    > >

    > > HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421
    > >

    > > --
    > >
    > > Bruce Chambers
    > >
    > > Help us help you:
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having
    > > both at once. - RAH
    > > *

    Hi

    Go here http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm
    & read Doug Knox's article about installing the the Setup.inf you need,
    once installed you can see the security tab in folder properties without
    havingto boot into safe mode.

    Regards

    CReWdog

    --
    CReWdog

    "Christy" <Christy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I click on "Properties" on the subdirectory I don't have a "Security"
    > tab.

    The article gives instructions about disabling "simple file sharing" in XP
    Professional. You can't do this in XP Home, so you need to boot into safe
    mode with that version of Windows XP

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

    yes i can't access the shared folders from my other computers. I shared all
    my drives, grant all permision, i am adminstrator and did took over the
    folders but still cant access??? its driving me crazy

    "Colin Nash [MVP]" wrote:

    > "Christy" <Christy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I click on "Properties" on the subdirectory I don't have a "Security"
    > > tab.
    > >

    > The article gives instructions about disabling "simple file sharing" in XP
    > Professional. You can't do this in XP Home, so you need to boot into safe
    > mode with that version of Windows XP
    >

    > --
    > Colin Nash
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Shell/User

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:01:05 -0700, vupham

    >yes i can't access the shared folders from my other computers. I shared all
    >my drives, grant all permision, i am adminstrator and did took over the
    >folders but still cant access??? its driving me crazy

    Obligatory safety alert: Don't full-share *all* your drives, because
    you expose integration points (C:\Autoexec.bat, C:\Boot.ini,
    "C:\Documents and Settings\*\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"), that allow
    malware to drop straight into the startup axis.

    Sure, passwords may block this, but why risk it if you can avoid it?
    Any system already authenticated to access the share is wide open as a
    malware donor, no matter how limited the user rights may be.

    >-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:
    "Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
    ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"

Computers Microsoft Windows XP