Setting ATI's anisotropic vs. game's options...

Hello.

Is it bad to manually set anisotropic (16X) and FSAA (2X) options in ATI
Catalyst driver (Control Panels -- not the bloated Control Center), then
set again for games? Does the game settings overwrite the video
driver's?

Also, are there any known issues to use FSAA and anisotopic that can
cause crashes and blue screens? Are setting them considered overclocking
for an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) in Windows XP?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Size isn't everything. The whale is endangered, while the ant continues to do just fine." --Bill Vaughan
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

<ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> Is it bad to manually set anisotropic (16X) and FSAA (2X) options in ATI
> Catalyst driver (Control Panels -- not the bloated Control Center), then
> set again for games? Does the game settings overwrite the video
> driver's?

Setting AA and AF in the control panel overrides the ingame settings

> Also, are there any known issues to use FSAA and anisotopic that can
> cause crashes and blue screens? Are setting them considered overclocking
> for an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) in Windows XP?

Ive never known AA and AF cause BSOD or crashes but I have seen it cause
graphical errors (miscoloured pixels and suchlike). It does make your card
work
harder so if you are overclocking then adding these settings 'could' cause
instability
but if youre running at stock speeds then there should be no problem.

If you are experiencing instability then try the 4.8s - Ive seen plenty of
issues with
particularly the 5 series and 9*** cards. I had glitches at stock speeds
with the 4.12s
and my 9700 and the 4.9/4.10 are glitchy with HL2 so Ive avoided them.

Frankly I suspect both AI and VPU recovery to be problem causing features so
Im
sticking with the 4.8s and I disable VPU recovery. All games play flawlessly
for me
and I overclock my card by 20%.

TRENDING THREADS