THE LOST COAST......

February 4, 2005 - Today, Valve software announced several neat new things
coming down the Half-Life 2 pipeline, the neatest of which is the inclusion
of High Dynamic Range lighting, or HDR, an effect that gives light a very
realistic glow. Many of you have probably already witnessed an early
technology demo that featured this tech, yet it didn't make it into the
final game. Well, Valve is not only adding it to the Source engine, but
showcasing it in a new level called "The Lost Coast." Interestingly, we're
hearing the Steam will detect your hardware specifications to determine if
your computer is capable of supporting HDR, but it will be free of charge.
As of right now, only a limited number of high-end video cards support this
feature. As far as release dates are concerned, Valve says, "Over the next
month or so."

A question - Will it be included in an update of sorts? And damn if its a
new HL2 level, this is bloody exciting news.
11 answers Last reply
More about lost coast

    "Toxicity" <yogesh.d@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > February 4, 2005 - Today, Valve software announced several neat new things
    > coming down the Half-Life 2 pipeline, the neatest of which is the
    > inclusion of High Dynamic Range lighting, or HDR, an effect that gives
    > light a very realistic glow. Many of you have probably already witnessed
    > an early technology demo that featured this tech, yet it didn't make it
    > into the final game. Well, Valve is not only adding it to the Source
    > engine, but showcasing it in a new level called "The Lost Coast."
    > Interestingly, we're hearing the Steam will detect your hardware
    > specifications to determine if your computer is capable of supporting HDR,
    > but it will be free of charge. As of right now, only a limited number of
    > high-end video cards support this feature. As far as release dates are
    > concerned, Valve says, "Over the next month or so."
    >
    > A question - Will it be included in an update of sorts? And damn if its a
    > new HL2 level, this is bloody exciting news.

    Hmmmm... time to take my sunglasses off then eh?
    ;-)

    Toxicity wrote:
    > Well, Valve is not only adding it to the Source engine, but
    showcasing it in > a new level called "The Lost Coast."

    "the lost coast"? does that mean we will see the area shown in the
    'Coast' video shown at E3? i can't wait for this. if it is, maybe it
    means we will see other parts of the game resurrected, like the
    Hydra....

    Fred Scharmann wrote:
    > Gee whiz! Does that mean my Geforce4 mx440 is now out of date?

    a mx440? pfff, you wanna try HL2 on a mx420, like me :-)
    and it still runs at a decent frame rate! the engine never ceases to
    amaze...

    Gee whiz! Does that mean my Geforce4 mx440 is now out of date? :-) Damn!

    rat wrote:
    > "Toxicity" <yogesh.d@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>February 4, 2005 - Today, Valve software announced several neat new things
    >>coming down the Half-Life 2 pipeline, the neatest of which is the
    >>inclusion of High Dynamic Range lighting, or HDR, an effect that gives
    >>light a very realistic glow. Many of you have probably already witnessed
    >>an early technology demo that featured this tech, yet it didn't make it
    >>into the final game. Well, Valve is not only adding it to the Source
    >>engine, but showcasing it in a new level called "The Lost Coast."
    >>Interestingly, we're hearing the Steam will detect your hardware
    >>specifications to determine if your computer is capable of supporting HDR,
    >>but it will be free of charge. As of right now, only a limited number of
    >>high-end video cards support this feature. As far as release dates are
    >>concerned, Valve says, "Over the next month or so."
    >>
    >>A question - Will it be included in an update of sorts? And damn if its a
    >>new HL2 level, this is bloody exciting news.
    >

    > Hmmmm... time to take my sunglasses off then eh?
    > ;-)

    But only available to those with a high enough spec to run it properly?

    Be pissed if I cant see a new short level cos Valve make the decision my
    PC isn't up to it... but... on the other hand of course I can just
    imagine now the cry's of outrage from folk with lower end systems that
    the new level is 'buggy' unless Valve do something like restrict it.

    I'm torn... :-(

    --
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
    so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

    Bertrand Russell

    > rat wrote:
    >> "Toxicity" <yogesh.d@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>February 4, 2005 - Today, Valve software announced several neat new
    >>>things coming down the Half-Life 2 pipeline, the neatest of which is the
    >>>inclusion of High Dynamic Range lighting, or HDR, an effect that gives
    >>>light a very realistic glow. Many of you have probably already witnessed
    >>>an early technology demo that featured this tech, yet it didn't make it
    >>>into the final game. Well, Valve is not only adding it to the Source
    >>>engine, but showcasing it in a new level called "The Lost Coast."
    >>>Interestingly, we're hearing the Steam will detect your hardware
    >>>specifications to determine if your computer is capable of supporting
    >>>HDR, but it will be free of charge. As of right now, only a limited
    >>>number of high-end video cards support this feature. As far as release
    >>>dates are concerned, Valve says, "Over the next month or so."
    >>>
    >>>A question - Will it be included in an update of sorts? And damn if its a
    >>>new HL2 level, this is bloody exciting news.
    >>

    >> Hmmmm... time to take my sunglasses off then eh?
    >> ;-)
    >>

    > But only available to those with a high enough spec to run it properly?
    >
    > Be pissed if I cant see a new short level cos Valve make the decision my
    > PC isn't up to it... but... on the other hand of course I can just imagine
    > now the cry's of outrage from folk with lower end systems that the new
    > level is 'buggy' unless Valve do something like restrict it.
    >
    > I'm torn... :-(
    >
    > --
    > "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
    > certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"
    >
    > Bertrand Russell

    I doubt if your video card can't support it, that you won't be able to play
    it. It will just not activate this "feature". Especially if only certain
    high end video cards support it at present.

    I have an ATI X800 XT Platinum and sure as hell hope that this card supports
    it otherwise, I don't know how much higher end you can get at this point :)

    HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    > "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
    >
    >>rat wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Toxicity" <yogesh.d@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    >>>Hmmmm... time to take my sunglasses off then eh?
    >>>;-)
    >>>

    >>But only available to those with a high enough spec to run it properly?
    >>
    >>Be pissed if I cant see a new short level cos Valve make the decision my
    >>PC isn't up to it... but... on the other hand of course I can just imagine
    >>now the cry's of outrage from folk with lower end systems that the new
    >>level is 'buggy' unless Valve do something like restrict it.
    >>
    >>I'm torn... :-(
    >>
    >>--
    >>"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
    >>certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"
    >>
    >>Bertrand Russell
    >

    > I doubt if your video card can't support it, that you won't be able to play
    > it. It will just not activate this "feature". Especially if only certain
    > high end video cards support it at present.
    >
    > I have an ATI X800 XT Platinum and sure as hell hope that this card supports
    > it otherwise, I don't know how much higher end you can get at this point :)

    9800Pro here ... optimistically hopeful... :-)

    --

    "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
    >> rat wrote:
    >>> "Toxicity" <yogesh.d@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    >>> Hmmmm... time to take my sunglasses off then eh?
    >>> ;-)
    >>>

    >> But only available to those with a high enough spec to run it
    >> properly? Be pissed if I cant see a new short level cos Valve make
    >> the
    >> decision my PC isn't up to it... but... on the other hand of course
    >> I can just imagine now the cry's of outrage from folk with lower end
    >> systems that the new level is 'buggy' unless Valve do something like
    >> restrict it. I'm torn... :-(
    >>
    >> --
    >> "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
    >> always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"
    >>
    >> Bertrand Russell
    >
    > I doubt if your video card can't support it, that you won't be able
    > to play it. It will just not activate this "feature". Especially if
    > only certain high end video cards support it at present.
    >
    > I have an ATI X800 XT Platinum and sure as hell hope that this card
    > supports it otherwise, I don't know how much higher end you can get
    > at this point :)

    LOL! 6800 series here :) I was thinking the same thing.
    McG.

    > rat wrote:
    >> "Toxicity" <yogesh.d@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> February 4, 2005 - Today, Valve software announced several neat new
    >>> things coming down the Half-Life 2 pipeline, the neatest of which
    >>> is the inclusion of High Dynamic Range lighting, or HDR, an effect
    >>> that gives light a very realistic glow. Many of you have probably
    >>> already witnessed an early technology demo that featured this tech,
    >>> yet it didn't make it into the final game. Well, Valve is not only
    >>> adding it to the Source engine, but showcasing it in a new level
    >>> called "The Lost Coast." Interestingly, we're hearing the Steam
    >>> will detect your hardware specifications to determine if your
    >>> computer is capable of supporting HDR, but it will be free of
    >>> charge. As of right now, only a limited number of high-end video
    >>> cards support this feature. As far as release dates are concerned,
    >>> Valve says, "Over the next month or so." A question - Will it be
    >>> included in an update of sorts? And damn if
    >>> its a new HL2 level, this is bloody exciting news.
    >>

    >> Hmmmm... time to take my sunglasses off then eh?
    >> ;-)
    >>

    > But only available to those with a high enough spec to run it
    > properly?
    > Be pissed if I cant see a new short level cos Valve make the decision
    > my PC isn't up to it... but... on the other hand of course I can just
    > imagine now the cry's of outrage from folk with lower end systems that
    > the new level is 'buggy' unless Valve do something like restrict it.
    >
    > I'm torn... :-(

    Look at it this way, you will probably have to download the level to
    see. I'd hope so anyway.
    McG.

    "Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
    > Hot damn!!!! They'll soon be releasing a patch that will reinstate the
    > CROWBAR in HL2DM....

    snip

    sniclick [cocks hammer] The question is.... do you feel Lucky? :)

    McG.

    I really can not complain about how the mx440 has worked with hl2. It
    stuttered occasionally, but over all, the game was quite playable.

    "oaktree" <themightyoaktree@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Fred Scharmann wrote:
    > > Gee whiz! Does that mean my Geforce4 mx440 is now out of date?
    >
    > a mx440? pfff, you wanna try HL2 on a mx420, like me :-)
    > and it still runs at a decent frame rate! the engine never ceases to
    > amaze...

Valve Video Games