Anyone running a 9800 Pro or X800 Pro on 300W?

Anyone running a 9800 Pro or X800 Pro on 300W?

I have a good power supply - FSP Group (Fortron/Sparkle) 300W power
supply rated at 18A on the 12v Rail. Its running a 9600XT fine and the
components listed at the bottom of this post.

I *could* upgrade to a Tagan 420W PSU but I don't really want to have to
pull the current PSU out and put a new one in.

Is anyone successfully running the above cards on a 300W PSU?

System specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (1MB cache, 800FSB) with HT (Prescott)
MSI 865PE NEO-2 P MS-6728 Ver 2 (No D-bracket) 3.50 AMI BIOS
Nanya 2 x 256MB dual channel DDR RAM (PC3200) 400MHz
256 Mb ABIT 9600XT (Catalyst 5.1)
FSP Group FSP300-60PN 300W +3.3@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@18A, +5Vsb@2.0A,
-5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A
Western Digital 160GB 7200rpm hard drive with 8MB buffer
Onboard Realtek AC'97 Audio
Sony DVD-ROM drive (16x)
Sony DW-D22A Dual-Layer IDE DVD+/-RW (black)
Sunon 8cm intake fan
Akasa 12cm Exhaust fan
Speedtouch router via onboard Realtek lan port
Windows XP Pro SP2
memtest86 1.27: 7.5 hour all tests no errors
Motherboard Monitor Voltages: +12V@12.77, +5V@5.05, +3.3V@3.36
3DMark2001: 13200, 3DMark2003: 3800, 3DMark2005: 1600

ofn01 wrote:

> Anyone running a 9800 Pro or X800 Pro on 300W?
>
> I have a good power supply - FSP Group (Fortron/Sparkle) 300W power
> supply rated at 18A on the 12v Rail. Its running a 9600XT fine and the
> components listed at the bottom of this post.
>
> I *could* upgrade to a Tagan 420W PSU but I don't really want to have to
> pull the current PSU out and put a new one in.
>
> Is anyone successfully running the above cards on a 300W PSU?
>
> System specs:
>
> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (1MB cache, 800FSB) with HT (Prescott)
> MSI 865PE NEO-2 P MS-6728 Ver 2 (No D-bracket) 3.50 AMI BIOS
> Nanya 2 x 256MB dual channel DDR RAM (PC3200) 400MHz
> 256 Mb ABIT 9600XT (Catalyst 5.1)
> FSP Group FSP300-60PN 300W +3.3@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@18A, +5Vsb@2.0A,
> -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A
> Western Digital 160GB 7200rpm hard drive with 8MB buffer
> Onboard Realtek AC'97 Audio
> Sony DVD-ROM drive (16x)
> Sony DW-D22A Dual-Layer IDE DVD+/-RW (black)
> Sunon 8cm intake fan
> Akasa 12cm Exhaust fan
> Speedtouch router via onboard Realtek lan port
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> memtest86 1.27: 7.5 hour all tests no errors
> Motherboard Monitor Voltages: +12V@12.77, +5V@5.05, +3.3V@3.36
> 3DMark2001: 13200, 3DMark2003: 3800, 3DMark2005: 1600
vanilla 9800 on a enlight 300w, a good ps can do it, just depends
on the other devices

shawk

ofn01 wrote:

> Anyone running a 9800 Pro or X800 Pro on 300W?
>
> I have a good power supply - FSP Group (Fortron/Sparkle) 300W power
> supply rated at 18A on the 12v Rail. Its running a 9600XT fine and the
> components listed at the bottom of this post.

I had issues with my PC (heat and power) when I swapped my 9600Pro for
my 9800Pro. Coincidentally I had a 300W FSP PSU but in a bog-standard
case. I upgraded to a new Antec case with Truepower 430W and probs went
away.

Does depend what else you're running of course and though you listed
everything I dont know enough about it to comment. Hopefully others will.

You didn't mention your case but you do have some cooling fans there so
with luck the heat will not be an issue.

--
"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our weapon is
surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are

Shawk wrote:
> ofn01 wrote:
>

>> Anyone running a 9800 Pro or X800 Pro on 300W?
>>
>> I have a good power supply - FSP Group (Fortron/Sparkle) 300W power
>> supply rated at 18A on the 12v Rail. Its running a 9600XT fine and the
>> components listed at the bottom of this post.
>>

> I had issues with my PC (heat and power) when I swapped my 9600Pro for
> my 9800Pro. Coincidentally I had a 300W FSP PSU but in a bog-standard
> case. I upgraded to a new Antec case with Truepower 430W and probs went
> away.
>
> Does depend what else you're running of course and though you listed
> everything I dont know enough about it to comment. Hopefully others will.
>
> You didn't mention your case but you do have some cooling fans there so
> with luck the heat will not be an issue.

I am getting a new 12cm fan tomorrow (though I Have listed it) as I do
think my computer could be better vented. It has an 8cm intake fan.

How long have you had the trupower 430? I was looking at that one but
read that a few people have had failures with it. I am looking at the
Tagan 420W at the moment as a replacement for my 300W FSP group if I
think I should replace.

shawk

ofn01 wrote:
> Shawk wrote:
>
>> ofn01 wrote:
>>

>>> Anyone running a 9800 Pro or X800 Pro on 300W?
>>>
>>> I have a good power supply - FSP Group (Fortron/Sparkle) 300W power
>>> supply rated at 18A on the 12v Rail. Its running a 9600XT fine and
>>> the components listed at the bottom of this post.
>>>

>> I had issues with my PC (heat and power) when I swapped my 9600Pro for
>> my 9800Pro. Coincidentally I had a 300W FSP PSU but in a bog-standard
>> case. I upgraded to a new Antec case with Truepower 430W and probs
>> went away.
>>
>> Does depend what else you're running of course and though you listed
>> everything I dont know enough about it to comment. Hopefully others
>> will.
>>
>> You didn't mention your case but you do have some cooling fans there
>> so with luck the heat will not be an issue.
>>

> I am getting a new 12cm fan tomorrow (though I Have listed it) as I do
> think my computer could be better vented. It has an 8cm intake fan.
>
> How long have you had the trupower 430? I was looking at that one but
> read that a few people have had failures with it. I am looking at the
> Tagan 420W at the moment as a replacement for my 300W FSP group if I
> think I should replace.

Had case and Truepower for around 12 months - no probs with it and
hadn't heard of others having probs. The case is an Antec 1080AMG which
is *very* large and and this has probably helped the ventilation
enormously. Review below if you're interested.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1258&page=1

--

"ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message

> Anyone running a 9800 Pro or X800 Pro on 300W?
>
> I have a good power supply - FSP Group (Fortron/Sparkle) 300W power supply
> rated at 18A on the 12v Rail. Its running a 9600XT fine and the components
> listed at the bottom of this post.
>
> I *could* upgrade to a Tagan 420W PSU but I don't really want to have to
> pull the current PSU out and put a new one in.
>
> Is anyone successfully running the above cards on a 300W PSU?
>
> System specs:
>
> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (1MB cache, 800FSB) with HT (Prescott)
> MSI 865PE NEO-2 P MS-6728 Ver 2 (No D-bracket) 3.50 AMI BIOS
> Nanya 2 x 256MB dual channel DDR RAM (PC3200) 400MHz
> 256 Mb ABIT 9600XT (Catalyst 5.1)
> FSP Group FSP300-60PN 300W +3.3@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@18A,
> +5Vsb@2.0A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A
> Western Digital 160GB 7200rpm hard drive with 8MB buffer
> Onboard Realtek AC'97 Audio
> Sony DVD-ROM drive (16x)
> Sony DW-D22A Dual-Layer IDE DVD+/-RW (black)
> Sunon 8cm intake fan
> Akasa 12cm Exhaust fan
> Speedtouch router via onboard Realtek lan port
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> memtest86 1.27: 7.5 hour all tests no errors
> Motherboard Monitor Voltages: +12V@12.77, +5V@5.05, +3.3V@3.36
> 3DMark2001: 13200, 3DMark2003: 3800, 3DMark2005: 1600

I couldn't run an X800Pro on a 300W FSP. This was on a machine with, at the
time, three hard drives.

--
Derek

Derek Baker wrote:
> I couldn't run an X800Pro on a 300W FSP. This was on a machine with,
> at the time, three hard drives.

I hope that doesn't really come as a suprise to anyone...

Ben

"ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message

> Anyone running a 9800 Pro or X800 Pro on 300W?
>
> I have a good power supply - FSP Group (Fortron/Sparkle) 300W power supply
> rated at 18A on the 12v Rail. Its running a 9600XT fine and the components
> listed at the bottom of this post.
>
> I *could* upgrade to a Tagan 420W PSU but I don't really want to have to
> pull the current PSU out and put a new one in.
>
> Is anyone successfully running the above cards on a 300W PSU?
>
> System specs:
>
> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (1MB cache, 800FSB) with HT (Prescott)
> MSI 865PE NEO-2 P MS-6728 Ver 2 (No D-bracket) 3.50 AMI BIOS
> Nanya 2 x 256MB dual channel DDR RAM (PC3200) 400MHz
> 256 Mb ABIT 9600XT (Catalyst 5.1)
> FSP Group FSP300-60PN 300W +3.3@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@18A,
> +5Vsb@2.0A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A
> Western Digital 160GB 7200rpm hard drive with 8MB buffer
> Onboard Realtek AC'97 Audio
> Sony DVD-ROM drive (16x)
> Sony DW-D22A Dual-Layer IDE DVD+/-RW (black)
> Sunon 8cm intake fan
> Akasa 12cm Exhaust fan
> Speedtouch router via onboard Realtek lan port
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> memtest86 1.27: 7.5 hour all tests no errors
> Motherboard Monitor Voltages: +12V@12.77, +5V@5.05, +3.3V@3.36
> 3DMark2001: 13200, 3DMark2003: 3800, 3DMark2005: 1600

240W PSU here with the following:
Shuttle SN95G5 Small Form Factor PC
Athlon64 3500+
2 x 512MB DDR3200 Dual Channel
ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum AGP
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA HD
Lite-On DVD/CD-RW
Onboard LAN
Single 5W Case/CPU Fan

Remember though that this is a SFF PC, with a very high quality PSU. Not
sure how high quality the FSP group is though. Sparkle is a pretty good
inexpensive PSU generally, but Fortron Source is iffy, but haven't heard of
an FSP.

My system at peak draws about 160 Watts during intense gaming. Ideally your
system should draw 30% to 70% of your rated power, but that all depends on
what temperature the PSU rating is at. A high quality PSU like in these SFF
Shuttle's can probably handle up to 80% of rated power. I'd take a good
Thermaltake or Antec 300W over a generic cheapy 450W PSU any day.

So in short, I would say you should consider spending money on a good power
supply. However, considering all you're running is two optical drives and a
single hard drive it shouldn't be much of a problem. But as far as I'm
concerned, there are a couple things that you absolutely should not skimp
on: power supplies and monitors. The PSU is the heart of the system, and a
bad one will only cause pain and possible death down the road. A monitor is
what you look at and my eyes are too valuable to be straining all the time
at a poor quality monitor (especially after spending thousands on LASIK a
year ago).

"Ben Pope" <ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Derek Baker wrote:
>> I couldn't run an X800Pro on a 300W FSP. This was on a machine with,
>> at the time, three hard drives.
>
> I hope that doesn't really come as a suprise to anyone...
>
> Ben

Well, hard drives don't draw much current, only about 10W each at peak, 3-5W
idle. Sounds like a poor quality PSU, poorly cooled system, a lot of other
components like PCI cards, sticks of memory (each one can draw up to 25W!!!
and don't forget fans run at 3-7W each too!), or any combination of these.

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Ben Pope" <ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Derek Baker wrote:
>>> I couldn't run an X800Pro on a 300W FSP. This was on a machine with,
>>> at the time, three hard drives.
>>
>> I hope that doesn't really come as a suprise to anyone...
>>
>> Ben
>> --
>> A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
>> Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
>> I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...
>>

> Well, hard drives don't draw much current, only about 10W each at peak,
> 3-5W idle. Sounds like a poor quality PSU, poorly cooled system, a lot of
> other components like PCI cards, sticks of memory (each one can draw up to
> 25W!!! and don't forget fans run at 3-7W each too!), or any combination of
> these.

I suspect it was the amperage, not the wattage that was the problem.
Assuming 2A each at start up, that was more than half the 12V power gone
already.

--
Derek

My system is P4 3.2E, 1G DDR, 1 HD 7200rpm, 1 AX800pro and 1 PSU Chieftec
HPC-300-202 (300w). The system runs disk defrag and 3Dmark (2 pass) at the
same time. The system is stable, no freezing or errors.

It's a fact that during disk access, the rpm of some fan goes down, I can
hear it. Mybe is the CPU fan. High temps are not a problem.

Also run 3dmark and CD-RW burn at the same time. Same result as above.

S.