Question about Steam and backwards compatibility of Half-L..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 5, 2005 1:41:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

During a large LAN-game next week, we'll be playing mostly Day of Defeat,
but I assume that this applies equally much to Counter-Strike.

For various reasons, we won't use the latest DoD version available only
through Steam (1.2), but rather the latest available for static download
(1.0b). (Some people borrow older company laptops for this particular event,
and will install everything right before the game starts in a building
without Internet access).

I, however, already have Steam installed, and I'm wondering exactly what I
should do in order downgrade from DoD 1.2 to 1.0b.

Could I, for instance, install Half-Life 1 with DoD in a new directory,
temporarily disable Steam and hope it doesn't discover the new installation?
Conversely, will the new installation discover that I have Steam installed
and automatically use it?

Could I uninstall DoD through Steam (delete local game content), manually
install the Dod 1.0b and deselect the automatic update option? If so, can
Half-Life instances with Steam communicate with those without Steam,
especially if there is no Internet access? Is the latest version of
Half-Life available for static download (1.1.1.0) the same version as the
one available through Steam?

Worst case scenario: I'm forced to uninstall Steam and Half-Life and
reinstall from scratch. Is it sufficient to save the Steam login and
password? Are my CD-keys stored with my account information in some Steam
database?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 1:41:40 PM

Hermann wrote:
> Could I, for instance, install Half-Life 1 with DoD in a new
directory?

there is a way to do this, as i have an old version of OP4 and DoDv1
installed but steam doesnt update them....what you have to do is run
the DoD install and install it to the folder -
"C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\User\half-life" - as you would have installed
it before Steam came along.
so you should have the DoD folder as
"C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\User\half-life\Day Of Defeat", or something
like that. then when you fire up steam DoD should appear under the
"third party games" section, from where you can run it. if it doesnt,
create a shortcut to "C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\blork\half-life\hl.exe
-game "dod"" and run it. the menu screen will show the HL background,
but it is in fact running DoD.

long winded i know, but i hope it helps you.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 3:34:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Hermann" wrote

> During a large LAN-game next week, we'll be playing mostly Day of Defeat,
> but I assume that this applies equally much to Counter-Strike.
>
> For various reasons, we won't use the latest DoD version available only
> through Steam (1.2), but rather the latest available for static download
> (1.0b). (Some people borrow older company laptops for this particular
> event,
> and will install everything right before the game starts in a building
> without Internet access).

I'd go for the old presteam HL install and run a dedicated lanserver
Running HL through Steam puts enourmuos stress on the hardware (my
experience)

On a sidenote
This rather well equipped new laptop (Dell 510m, 2GHz, 1Gb mem, Intel Extr
Gfx) is not able to run old HL through Steam (partly slideshow)
HL2 is ok and HL2DM is reasonable for test
CS:S with bots is a nightmare

You'll be fine with a new presteam HL install outsite Steam
Steam only detects installation during installation of the Steam client -
afaik

Imho you need to get version 1.1.1.0 (last presteam)
HL on Steam is running 1.1.1.2 IIRC
You should also take a swing at the hlds server if you can grab it from
somewhere

The current hlds downloads is for the newer HL version

Just my two cents :-)

- Peter
February 5, 2005 3:38:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" wrote

> Imho you need to get version 1.1.1.0 (last presteam)

Oh there is a lightweight download for this version without the xtra mods
etc
I can give you the link later today - or someone else can find it :-)

- Peter
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 4:43:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" wrote

> Oh there is a lightweight download for this version without the xtra mods
> etc
> I can give you the link later today - or someone else can find it :-)

Bugger :/

Anyone has a link to CivTarget's reduced-size no-frills HL upgrade patch
The current is broken:
http://home.centurytel.net/Lefty/HLsmallpatch1110.exe

- Peter
February 5, 2005 4:44:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Peter,

I replaced the link on my site for the original poster's convienence.
I'll leave it up for a few days or so.

HTH, Lefty

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Peter Lykkegaard" wrote
>
> > Oh there is a lightweight download for this version without the xtra
mods
> > etc
> > I can give you the link later today - or someone else can find it :-)
> >
> Bugger :/
>
> Anyone has a link to CivTarget's reduced-size no-frills HL upgrade patch
> The current is broken:
> http://home.centurytel.net/Lefty/HLsmallpatch1110.exe
>
> - Peter

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 6:47:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Lefty" wrote

> I replaced the link on my site for the original poster's convienence.
> I'll leave it up for a few days or so.
>
> HTH, Lefty
>
> http://home.centurytel.net/Lefty/HLsmallpatch1110.exe

Very decent of you my friend

I do hope Hermann get the Lan party up and running smoothly

Cheers :-)

- Peter
February 6, 2005 12:08:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thanks for your help all, and for the patch download. Looks like I have some
reinstalling to do.

Cheers.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:41:30 PM

Hermann wrote:
> During a large LAN-game next week, we'll be playing mostly Day of Defeat,
> but I assume that this applies equally much to Counter-Strike.
>
> For various reasons, we won't use the latest DoD version available only
> through Steam (1.2), but rather the latest available for static download
> (1.0b). (Some people borrow older company laptops for this particular event,
> and will install everything right before the game starts in a building
> without Internet access).
>
> I, however, already have Steam installed, and I'm wondering exactly what I
> should do in order downgrade from DoD 1.2 to 1.0b.
>
> Could I, for instance, install Half-Life 1 with DoD in a new directory,
> temporarily disable Steam and hope it doesn't discover the new installation?
> Conversely, will the new installation discover that I have Steam installed
> and automatically use it?
>
> Could I uninstall DoD through Steam (delete local game content), manually
> install the Dod 1.0b and deselect the automatic update option? If so, can
> Half-Life instances with Steam communicate with those without Steam,
> especially if there is no Internet access? Is the latest version of
> Half-Life available for static download (1.1.1.0) the same version as the
> one available through Steam?
>
> Worst case scenario: I'm forced to uninstall Steam and Half-Life and
> reinstall from scratch. Is it sufficient to save the Steam login and
> password? Are my CD-keys stored with my account information in some Steam
> database?
>
> Thanks in advance.

For old HL I've just copied the directory over from PC to PC. If someone
has a working copy of it just copy it over through the LAN. First time
it runs HL will ask for a CD key.
Should be all good. Won't interfere with Steam at all then.

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca