Hiding Folders so they cant be seen.

Hi People,
This is probably a question that has been asked before but I have a chronic
memory problem.
My question is how do or can I make my folders dissappear without having to
resort to an outside software programe like magic folders. I am sure there
is
a way of doing this in Microsoft xp Pro but I cant remember how! I do not
want to password protect the folder and have everyone see the password
reminder - I want to make the folder dissappear so it cannot be seen, can I
do this? Or am I going to go out and buy yet another piece of software to
perform this task.

Thanking you in advance for any help or advice you are able to give this
question.

--
Alasdair

To hide a file or folder
1. Right click the file or folder and then click Properties.
2. On the General tab, select the Hidden check box.
3. Click Apply and choose Apply changes to this folder only
or
Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files.
4. Click OK.
5. Click OK.

Hidden
[[Specifies whether the file or folder is hidden, which means that you
cannot see or use it unless you know its name.
If multiple files are selected, a check mark means that all the files are
hidden. A filled box means that some files are hidden and some are not.]]

To view hidden files, on the Tools menu in any folder window, click Folder
Options. On the View tab, under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files
and folders.

To hide a file or folder
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_hide_file.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D79ADB28-440B-42BF-ACE5-409C0A47E287@microsoft.com,
Alasdair Crockett <alasdaircrockett(removethis)@hotmail.com> hunted and
pecked:
> Hi People,
> This is probably a question that has been asked before but I have a
> chronic memory problem.
> My question is how do or can I make my folders dissappear without having
> to resort to an outside software programe like magic folders. I am sure
> there is
> a way of doing this in Microsoft xp Pro but I cant remember how! I do not
> want to password protect the folder and have everyone see the password
> reminder - I want to make the folder dissappear so it cannot be seen,
> can I do this? Or am I going to go out and buy yet another piece of
> software to perform this task.
>
> Thanking you in advance for any help or advice you are able to give this
> question.
>
> --
> Alasdair

Hi Wesley, and thank you for the much needed advice, I will give it a try out
when I manage to get my 20 yr old daughter off the damn computer for long
enough to set it up.
Once again many thanks, and I will get back to you soon :)
--
Alasdair