remove my password from their own account???? please help!!!

From: "Monkey Man" <Monkey Man@discussions.microsoft.com>

| can someone please help me.....i want to have a secure account so i use a
| password yet other users on my computer (my family) can go into the control
| panel from their own account and remove or change my password. i would like
| to be able to stop this if it is possible but at the same time the other
| users as well as myself must still be labeled as comuter administrators. is
| there any way you can tell me how to stop other users from being able to
| remove my password from their own account???? please help!!!

Your account needs to have "Administrative" rights and use a strong password.
The Administrator account should have a strong password and only YOU know the password.

All other accounts should _NOT_ have Administrative rights and they should be normal users.

A "strong password" is meant by...

A minimum of 10 characters using...
2 numbers
2 uppercase characters
2 lowercase characters
2 special characters

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> All other accounts should _NOT_ have Administrative rights and they should be normal users.

David has certainly given you good advice. A variation on that would be to
have one administative account, plus some limited user accounts for you and
your family members. Each of you would use your own limited user accounts for
everday activities.

You would only use the administive account if you install or delete software
or make other fundamental changes.

yes but i need everyone to have administrator rights, the other useres like
to personalize their own accounts and also be able to download and do other
activities which require administrator rights. Also regardless of how
"strong" your password is, the other users on the computer are able to remove
it from thier account whether they know what the password is or not. for
example, i have a password for my account but my son is able to go on his own
account, go into control panel and remove my password even if he does not
know what it is. Is there any way to prevent this while still keeping all
users as administrators. It just doesnt make sense that you can protect your
account from other users with a password when it is so easy for them to
remove it and get into your files.....there must be a way to prevent this,
please help!

monkeyman8868 wrote:
> yes but i need everyone to have administrator rights, the other useres like
> to personalize their own accounts and also be able to download and do other
> activities which require administrator rights. Also regardless of how
> "strong" your password is, the other users on the computer are able to remove
> it from thier account whether they know what the password is or not. for
> example, i have a password for my account but my son is able to go on his own
> account, go into control panel and remove my password even if he does not
> know what it is. Is there any way to prevent this while still keeping all
> users as administrators.

No, there isn't. All administrative accounts have full and equal
access to *everything* on the computer. That's the whole purpose of the
administrative privilege set. If all of the computer users must remain
administrators, then you'll simply have to resign yourself to having no
real security and no privacy.

> It just doesnt make sense that you can protect your
> account from other users with a password when it is so easy for them to
> remove it and get into your files.....there must be a way to prevent this,
> please help!

Actually, what doesn't make sense is giving every user administrative
privileges. The way to prevent the problem is quite clear:

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

You must be a home user. :)
What I can tell you is in the home environment, if someone has a admin
account on that local machine. He or she can do everything. The only chance
is you set a trap and others are not smart to break it.
One trap is that you can use gpedit to disable the control panel.

From: "monkeyman8868" <monkeyman8868@discussions.microsoft.com>

| yes but i need everyone to have administrator rights, the other useres like
| to personalize their own accounts and also be able to download and do other
| activities which require administrator rights. Also regardless of how
| "strong" your password is, the other users on the computer are able to remove
| it from thier account whether they know what the password is or not. for
| example, i have a password for my account but my son is able to go on his own
| account, go into control panel and remove my password even if he does not
| know what it is. Is there any way to prevent this while still keeping all
| users as administrators. It just doesnt make sense that you can protect your
| account from other users with a password when it is so easy for them to
| remove it and get into your files.....there must be a way to prevent this,
| please help!

The two are mutually exclusive. One can NOT have administrative rights and NOT be able to
act as an administrator.

The objective is to give just enough rights to normal users but no more. For example, make
the ordinary users members of the "Power Users" group.

The users can NOT have administrative rights or they can change the Administrator's password
or your password. Please understand that this is this way it has to be. You need to
conform to this system as the system will not conform to you.

Additionally, you (as the administrator or as a user with Administrative rights) can
execute...
%windir%\system32\gpedit.msc

Thus you can set the Group Policies of the platform.