Enabling Ctl-Alt-Del sequence to logon to computer

I would like to enable the the CTRL+ALT+DELETE Sequence for Logging On in
Windows XP feature. I searched the Help and Support center for this feature
and the instructions given seem quite simple:

To Enable or Disable the CTRL+ALT+DELETE Sequence
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. In the Secure logon section, select or clear the Require users to press
Ctrl+Alt+Delete check box.

The only problem is there is no Advanced tab when I go into user accounts in
control panel. Even when I log on as Administrator all I can change is using
welcome screen or fast user switching, neither of which I use. Are these
required to get the Advanced tab that I am looking for?
5 answers Last reply
More about enabling sequence logon computer

    That is because you have XP Home not Pro.

    Try this...

    [[Use the classic logon screen
    To temporarily use the classic logon screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL two times on
    the Welcome logon screen.

    To configure Windows XP to use the classic logon and shutdown screens for
    every logon session, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click User Accounts.
    3. Click Change the way users log on or off.
    4. Clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.
    Note If you turn off the Welcome logon screen, you also turn off the Fast
    User Switching option.]]
    How to change the logon window and the shutdown preferences in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q291559/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:7E97126D-D1B5-4A6D-BA0F-730A8F3D5E56@microsoft.com,
    Moonspell <Moonspell@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I would like to enable the the CTRL+ALT+DELETE Sequence for Logging On in
    > Windows XP feature. I searched the Help and Support center for this
    > feature and the instructions given seem quite simple:
    >
    > To Enable or Disable the CTRL+ALT+DELETE Sequence
    > 1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
    > 2. Click the Advanced tab.
    > 3. In the Secure logon section, select or clear the Require users to press
    > Ctrl+Alt+Delete check box.
    >
    > The only problem is there is no Advanced tab when I go into user accounts
    > in control panel. Even when I log on as Administrator all I can change
    > is using welcome screen or fast user switching, neither of which I use.
    > Are these required to get the Advanced tab that I am looking for?

    Sorry Wesley, but I have Windows XP Professional. Thats what it says when I
    check under my computer (right click) properties. Any other suggestions

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > That is because you have XP Home not Pro.
    >
    > Try this...
    >
    > [[Use the classic logon screen
    > To temporarily use the classic logon screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL two times on
    > the Welcome logon screen.
    >
    > To configure Windows XP to use the classic logon and shutdown screens for
    > every logon session, follow these steps:
    > 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    > 2. Double-click User Accounts.
    > 3. Click Change the way users log on or off.
    > 4. Clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.
    > Note If you turn off the Welcome logon screen, you also turn off the Fast
    > User Switching option.]]
    > How to change the logon window and the shutdown preferences in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q291559/
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:7E97126D-D1B5-4A6D-BA0F-730A8F3D5E56@microsoft.com,
    > Moonspell <Moonspell@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I would like to enable the the CTRL+ALT+DELETE Sequence for Logging On in
    > > Windows XP feature. I searched the Help and Support center for this
    > > feature and the instructions given seem quite simple:
    > >
    > > To Enable or Disable the CTRL+ALT+DELETE Sequence
    > > 1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
    > > 2. Click the Advanced tab.
    > > 3. In the Secure logon section, select or clear the Require users to press
    > > Ctrl+Alt+Delete check box.
    > >
    > > The only problem is there is no Advanced tab when I go into user accounts
    > > in control panel. Even when I log on as Administrator all I can change
    > > is using welcome screen or fast user switching, neither of which I use.
    > > Are these required to get the Advanced tab that I am looking for?

    Ok, try this then...

    Start | Run | Type: control userpasswords2 | Click OK |
    Now click on the Advanced tab | Select: Require users to press
    Ctrl+Alt+Delete | Click Apply | Click OK

    I do not like to advise users of XP Home to use control userpasswords2 for
    anything. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:AF124F83-94E0-4994-80CC-51E1BB85033F@microsoft.com,
    Moonspell <Moonspell@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Sorry Wesley, but I have Windows XP Professional. Thats what it says when
    > I check under my computer (right click) properties. Any other
    > suggestions
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> That is because you have XP Home not Pro.
    >>
    >> Try this...
    >>
    >> [[Use the classic logon screen
    >> To temporarily use the classic logon screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL two
    >> times on the Welcome logon screen.
    >>
    >> To configure Windows XP to use the classic logon and shutdown screens for
    >> every logon session, follow these steps:
    >> 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    >> 2. Double-click User Accounts.
    >> 3. Click Change the way users log on or off.
    >> 4. Clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.
    >> Note If you turn off the Welcome logon screen, you also turn off the Fast
    >> User Switching option.]]
    >> How to change the logon window and the shutdown preferences in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q291559/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:7E97126D-D1B5-4A6D-BA0F-730A8F3D5E56@microsoft.com,
    >> Moonspell <Moonspell@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I would like to enable the the CTRL+ALT+DELETE Sequence for Logging On
    >>> in Windows XP feature. I searched the Help and Support center for this
    >>> feature and the instructions given seem quite simple:
    >>>
    >>> To Enable or Disable the CTRL+ALT+DELETE Sequence
    >>> 1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
    >>> 2. Click the Advanced tab.
    >>> 3. In the Secure logon section, select or clear the Require users to
    >>> press Ctrl+Alt+Delete check box.
    >>>
    >>> The only problem is there is no Advanced tab when I go into user
    >>> accounts in control panel. Even when I log on as Administrator all I
    >>> can change is using welcome screen or fast user switching, neither of
    >>> which I use. Are these required to get the Advanced tab that I am
    >>> looking for?

    That's it, that did it! Thank you so much for your help.

    Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:717BE8C6-C4AD-4656-AE3C-8610542CCF2D@microsoft.com,
    Moonspell <Moonspell@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > That's it, that did it! Thank you so much for your help.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, try this then...
    >>
    >> Start | Run | Type: control userpasswords2 | Click OK |
    >> Now click on the Advanced tab | Select: Require users to press
    >> Ctrl+Alt+Delete | Click Apply | Click OK
    >>
    >> I do not like to advise users of XP Home to use control userpasswords2
    >> for anything. ;-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:AF124F83-94E0-4994-80CC-51E1BB85033F@microsoft.com,
    >> Moonspell <Moonspell@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Sorry Wesley, but I have Windows XP Professional. Thats what it says
    >>> when I check under my computer (right click) properties. Any other
    >>> suggestions

Computers Windows XP