C:$Mft error

Every once in a while I get the following error:

WDSCAN.EXE - Corrupt file
The file OR directory C:\$Mft is corrupt and unreadable. Please run
the Chkdsk utility.

WDSCAN.EXE is Norton WinDoctor from Symantec. I am running XPro SP2 on
an HP with 384M ram, 60G hd.

I set the chkdsk to run and reboot. But WHAT IS THIS FILE???

More about error

    C:\$Mft

    Mft = Master File Table

    [[If chkdsk cannot fix it then you should copy off all the important data
    you have from that machine while you still can. Every writing activity you
    do on that partition can potentially destroy data.]]

    See this...
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic24422.html

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:mc9eb11oidnkqji5ik8ai01looietlae93@4ax.com,
    John M. Emler <jemler@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Every once in a while I get the following error:
    >
    > WDSCAN.EXE - Corrupt file
    > The file OR directory C:\$Mft is corrupt and unreadable. Please run
    > the Chkdsk utility.
    >
    > WDSCAN.EXE is Norton WinDoctor from Symantec. I am running XPro SP2 on
    > an HP with 384M ram, 60G hd.
    >
    > I set the chkdsk to run and reboot. But WHAT IS THIS FILE???

    > http://www.uncensored-news.com <><><><><><><> The Worlds
    > Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:43:33 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"

    >C:\$Mft

    >Mft = Master File Table

    >[[If chkdsk cannot fix it then you should copy off all the important data
    >you have from that machine while you still can.

    If ChkDsk does "fix" it, you could be left with massively corrupted
    data that's no longer detectable as such. By then it's too late to
    try and copy stuff off, or try to manually repair the file system.

    >Every writing activity you do on that partition can
    >potentially destroy data.]]

    And that is true too. There's not a thing from MS that the user can
    use, that can (a) read NTFS and (b) not automatically write to it.

    Such a thing would be a maintenance OS (mOS), as per...

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/qhatmos.htm

    If he runs Windows, it WILL write temp files etc. all over the place,
    even if he uses Safe Mode Cmd Only.

    If he runs the Recovery Console (RC), that may be safe from the
    perspective of writes, but unless it can see the installation, he
    won't be allowed into it. And unless he's *already* done some
    non-standard settings to facilitate the Set commands, he won't be
    allowed to copy files off C:, or to access files anywhere other than
    on C:. If he's got everything in place, he can only copy off files
    one at a time (no subtree copy), by name (no wildcards). For data
    recovery, RC is next to useless.

    If he drops the sick HD into another XP system and starts up, then at
    least that system won;t be puking Temp and pagefile writes to it. But
    AutoChk will try to maul (sorry, "fix") the file system first, unless
    he's first gone into RegEdit to suppress that, or is smart (and quick)
    enough to Esc it when it says "I'm going to blunder around 'fixing'
    your HD in X seconds...".

    Having batted that away and started XP, System Restore (SR) will start
    creating a new subtree on the HD, because SR defaults to "on" for any
    HD not seen before (after all, all hard drives are "part of the
    system", right?). Then there's the indexer, and the thumbnail
    generator, and the av, and who knows what other "helpful" background
    trash that always drools on every HD they see, as well as the OS
    updating the last-accessed time stamps of anything you touch.

    No thanks to MS, there *is* something that he can use to get data off,
    even though there's no tools like DiskEdit that he can use to repair
    broken core NTFS structures like $MFT.

    It's called Bart's PE, and it's the maintenance OS that MS should have
    made. On a good PC, he'd have to find it, download it, and build a
    bootable XP CDR with it. Then he could plug in a fat USB stick (Bart
    can only see these from boot) and boot the CDR, and from there he can
    copy off files in bulk, using Cmd.exe or Bart's non-Explorer shell.

    But if the file structure's bad, the chances are the contents may be
    bent. At least this way, without file system "fixing", he'd get a cue
    as to what's bent by what files give errors when copying - he'll know
    what's definately bent, and the rest will only be possibly bent.

    >-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:
    "Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
    ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"

Windows XP