No DVI Out in Windows

Radeon X800PE with the 5.2 Catalyst (as well as 3 or 4 earlier versions of
drivers tried) has no DVI out upon loading the Windows (XP SP2) desktop.
Upon boot the DVI works, shows post, boot details, and Windows loading
screens, but as soon as the desktop loads, the monitor (Sony SDN-S204E FPD)
goes dark, with no DVI signal, and then switches to the VGA input. Only one
display is seen in Dispays in Cat control panel, no FPD.

ATI says they have no idea what's wrong, but there are MANY posts around
various newsgroups about similar problems with ATI cards.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows

    Sometime on, or about Wed, 02 Mar 2005 04:55:38 GMT, Bob Doran wrote:

    > Radeon X800PE with the 5.2 Catalyst (as well as 3 or 4 earlier versions of
    > drivers tried) has no DVI out upon loading the Windows (XP SP2) desktop.
    > Upon boot the DVI works, shows post, boot details, and Windows loading
    > screens, but as soon as the desktop loads, the monitor (Sony SDN-S204E FPD)
    > goes dark, with no DVI signal, and then switches to the VGA input. Only one
    > display is seen in Dispays in Cat control panel, no FPD.
    >
    > ATI says they have no idea what's wrong, but there are MANY posts around
    > various newsgroups about similar problems with ATI cards.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have the X800pro and it works just fine with DVI. You say that it
    switches to VGA after Windows loads... do you have both DVI and VGA
    connected at the same time? I think you have to have just one or the other.
    Windows tries to detect your monitor connection and use the correct
    drivers... it may be just using the "default" VGA if it gets confused.

    At least that's the way mine is connected and I've had no problems at all.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    I had that problem on an NEC LCD Monitor until I realized that I had only
    loaded the analog color profile not the digital one.
    The monitor came with 2 .icm files...one for digital the other analog.
    Is your Sony the same way??
    peterk
    "Bob Doran" <bdoran@NOSPAMsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Radeon X800PE with the 5.2 Catalyst (as well as 3 or 4 earlier versions of
    > drivers tried) has no DVI out upon loading the Windows (XP SP2) desktop.
    > Upon boot the DVI works, shows post, boot details, and Windows loading
    > screens, but as soon as the desktop loads, the monitor (Sony SDN-S204E
    > FPD) goes dark, with no DVI signal, and then switches to the VGA input.
    > Only one display is seen in Dispays in Cat control panel, no FPD.
    >
    > ATI says they have no idea what's wrong, but there are MANY posts around
    > various newsgroups about similar problems with ATI cards.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.

    It's possible that there is, in fact, DVI output, but that it's
    parameters are simply not recognized by your particular model of LCD
    monitor. The subject of LCD monitor to video card compatibility is
    complex. See if you can try a different resolution and/or refresh rate.

    Bob Doran wrote:

    > Radeon X800PE with the 5.2 Catalyst (as well as 3 or 4 earlier versions of
    > drivers tried) has no DVI out upon loading the Windows (XP SP2) desktop.
    > Upon boot the DVI works, shows post, boot details, and Windows loading
    > screens, but as soon as the desktop loads, the monitor (Sony SDN-S204E FPD)
    > goes dark, with no DVI signal, and then switches to the VGA input. Only one
    > display is seen in Dispays in Cat control panel, no FPD.
    >
    > ATI says they have no idea what's wrong, but there are MANY posts around
    > various newsgroups about similar problems with ATI cards.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.

    After reading literally hundreds of posts on forums and newsgroups, the
    solution was found.

    Apparently, an application called "ATI Tool", which must have come with some
    earlier version of ATI or Omega drivers I have used in the past diasbles the
    DVI output. Since it loads when Windows loads, that accounts for why DVI
    worked until the desktop came up, at which point only an analog signal would
    work.

    "Bob Doran" <bdoran@NOSPAMsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Radeon X800PE with the 5.2 Catalyst (as well as 3 or 4 earlier versions of
    > drivers tried) has no DVI out upon loading the Windows (XP SP2) desktop.
    > Upon boot the DVI works, shows post, boot details, and Windows loading
    > screens, but as soon as the desktop loads, the monitor (Sony SDN-S204E
    > FPD) goes dark, with no DVI signal, and then switches to the VGA input.
    > Only one display is seen in Dispays in Cat control panel, no FPD.
    >
    > ATI says they have no idea what's wrong, but there are MANY posts around
    > various newsgroups about similar problems with ATI cards.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.

Radeon DVI ATI Graphics