New OCZ SSD Line Offers 1 TB, "Instant On" Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I didn't realize SSDs were geared for better performance in certain applications, and cruddy for others. Shows what I know.

Well, older SSD are approaching $1 per GB, so the 1GB drive is expected to be at least $1000. 1TB Pcie SSD are around $3000-4000.I will estimate SATA 1TB SSD around the $1600-2200 price range. I lean towards the higher end of the price range I estimated.

kjsfnkwl

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
This will easily $2000+, I'm going to say that right now. An average speed 250 gb SSD for say, $100 would be ten times the breakthrough that this is.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
if they kick that 1tb out for less than $600 I'm gonna ******* buckets!

*ninja'd*

Aww $1300+ ? Damn!

Oh well guess I can live with a 128 version when it comes out.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]What I want to know is why aren't there any 3.5", or 5.25" ssds!?[/citation]
There are 3.5" SSDs. OCZ sells them and they are available on newegg. They have to up 1TB in capacity.

@bak0n

No consumer class HDD is 5.25 for a long time I think. So I don't think company wants to introduc it back.

There are 3.5 inch SSD. Search Vertex 2 3.5 on google.

But there is little point. Make it one size fit all is easier.

Due to advances in NAND process, you increase density in the same space and process mature to bring down the cost.

Once a new process is matured, it will cost equal or less than the older process.

Stuffing old lower density chip in bigger case to give you same storage capacity increase the cost because of older process yield less GB per material.

[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]What I want to know is why aren't there any 3.5", or 5.25" ssds!?[/citation]
Because flash is small, you don't need that kind of space to fit a TB of information. They reason that you have not seen higher capacity in the past is because the cost would be astronomical and nobody would buy it (they have been available for a few years as PCIe cards).
@$1300 this would be a relative steal!
I love my wife's Solid3 drive, when I upgrade next year I hope to pay

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Adapter/kits for 3.5'' bays should be industry standard. Bad enough SSDs are expensive as it is. I had to do some kind of funky vertical install in my case for my two Vertex 3s. ;)

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
just in time for a good price cycle to bring it down by next summer when windows 8 comes out. glad everything is falling into place for a next gen rig

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nordlead[/nom]There are 3.5" SSDs. OCZ sells them and they are available on newegg. They have to up 1TB in capacity.[/citation]
So if they can do 1Tb in a 2.5" now, does that mean the 3.5" form factor can equal or beat the current highest capacity of HDD?
Speed
Capacity
Price
HDD had 2 out of 3, if SSD can get 2 out of 3 then surely price isn't far behind?

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I still prefer the revo-drives for performance.But yeah 1 tb capacity for 1300 isnt that bad. Not for a SSD. Of course "I" cant afford it but I know developers, designers and cad workers that can, and will get one or more of these.

[citation][nom]mb2bm55[/nom]just in time for a good price cycle to bring it down by next summer when windows 8 comes out. glad everything is falling into place for a next gen rig[/citation]
Don't hold your breath on it. For some reason, SSD prices did not come down as expected after all this time.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]Now the capacity is beginning to catch up. So when will the price start to catch up the mechanical HDD?[/citation]

Sooner than you can imagine and not in the way you want it to, either! The recent floods in Thailand caused the prices to go up - we in India can already feel the effect. A 500GB Seagate HDD which cost $40 recently can reach all the way to $120 now!

[citation][nom]SteveLord[/nom]Adapter/kits for 3.5'' bays should be industry standard. Bad enough SSDs are expensive as it is. I had to do some kind of funky vertical install in my case for my two Vertex 3s.[/citation]

I was very frustrated when me and my friend got an SSD for his dad's architecture build and the adapter didn't come as a standard... I think they should include it, too, the price is high enough!

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Thats nice... but while reading the article I was mostly looking for the Prices, most readers just wants to see if SSD prices dropped already.

Status
Not open for further replies.