Password access to XP computers?

Having just switched from Win98, I miss the easy (and weak) security of
that OS.

I want to be able to connect to each subdir on every machine on my home
network so I can move files around.

I would like to be able to limit other family members to be able to read
(and see?) specific folders and files on my computer.

As I read it, because I am not on a domain, I cannot use the more advanced
security system in XP, but must use Simple and let everyone have access to
all my files?

Am I correct? or hopelessly confused?

If I am correct, are there reg hacks or other software that will let me
control access to others in my home workgroup? GPEdit doesnt seem to offer
any solution because everything seems to come back to groups of users in a
domain. Lacking a server, I have no domain.

Help!
13 answers Last reply
More about password access computers

    You may wish to review the following:

    HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
    and folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    JimmyJam wrote:
    > Having just switched from Win98, I miss the easy (and weak) security of
    > that OS.
    >
    > I want to be able to connect to each subdir on every machine on my home
    > network so I can move files around.
    >
    > I would like to be able to limit other family members to be able to read
    > (and see?) specific folders and files on my computer.
    >
    > As I read it, because I am not on a domain, I cannot use the more advanced
    > security system in XP, but must use Simple and let everyone have access to
    > all my files?
    >
    > Am I correct? or hopelessly confused?
    >
    > If I am correct, are there reg hacks or other software that will let me
    > control access to others in my home workgroup? GPEdit doesnt seem to offer
    > any solution because everything seems to come back to groups of users in a
    > domain. Lacking a server, I have no domain.
    >
    > Help!

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in

    > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783

    I'm not sure how this applies to my situation. The accounts are created on
    the other machines. And the situation (I cannot fully access those files
    in various subdirs from my machine) exists whether the accts are admin or
    limited ones.

    > HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    From within this document: "Note This article assumes that you are using
    Windows XP on a domain."

    I am not on a domain or I understand that I could set permissions this way.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in

    > You may wish to review the following:
    >
    > HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399
    >
    > You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286

    My biggest problem isnt making the folders private, it is gaining access to
    a specific set of folders for RW access on my wife's PC on the home
    network.

    > How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
    > and folders in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    From within this document: "Note This article assumes that you are using
    Windows XP on a domain."

    I am not on a domain or I understand that I could set permissions this way.

    Just to be clear, I am using WinXP Pro, SP2, on a home network, with no
    domain. I would like to be able (whether by permissions or password) to
    access all the files in all subdirs on the other machines on my network so
    I can transfer files back and forth.

    All the information I have about setting permissions requires that I be in
    a domain. Unless there is a way to simply declare a domain, then I don't
    see a way to a solution to my problem.

    Many thanks.

    JimmyJam wrote:
    > Just to be clear, I am using WinXP Pro, SP2, on a home network, with no
    > domain. I would like to be able (whether by permissions or password) to
    > access all the files in all subdirs on the other machines on my network so
    > I can transfer files back and forth.
    >
    > All the information I have about setting permissions requires that I be in
    > a domain. Unless there is a way to simply declare a domain, then I don't
    > see a way to a solution to my problem.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    On the WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
    that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
    to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
    access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
    properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall
    is disabled on the internal LAN connection.

    Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

    Home Networking
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

    Networking Information
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

    PracticallyNetworked Home
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    Configuring Windows 2000 Professional to Work in a Peer-to-Peer
    Network
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q258717

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I'm also trying to protect folders with passwords, so other users on this
    computer do not have acces to my private files...however when i go to
    properties, under the sharing tab, "make this folder private" check box. the
    check box is shaded and clicking on it does nothing as if though it is
    disabled...
    How do i change this or otherwise protect my files?

    To make it simpler, if you already have ur network set up, and with local
    user accounts. right-click on the folder(s) you would like to share on the
    network (or the entire c:\ drive if you'd like). And go to properties >>
    Sharing. From here it becomes quite simpler to do. (i have XP Home btw)

    You can then access all of the shared files from all of the computers from
    My Network Places. (And from there you can map them as network drives, so
    they appear in My Computer)

    --
    Jayso

    > JimmyJam wrote:
    >> Just to be clear, I am using WinXP Pro, SP2, on a home network, with no
    >> domain. I would like to be able (whether by permissions or password) to
    >> access all the files in all subdirs on the other machines on my network
    >> so I can transfer files back and forth.
    >>
    >> All the information I have about setting permissions requires that I be
    >> in a domain. Unless there is a way to simply declare a domain, then I
    >> don't see a way to a solution to my problem.
    >>
    >> Many thanks.
    >

    > On the WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
    > that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
    > to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
    > access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
    > properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall
    > is disabled on the internal LAN connection.
    >
    > Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    > almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    > easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:
    >
    > Home Networking
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp
    >
    > Networking Information
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm
    >
    > PracticallyNetworked Home
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm
    >
    > Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    >
    > Configuring Windows 2000 Professional to Work in a Peer-to-Peer
    > Network
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q258717
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    But not folders \windows, \Program Files ?

    "Jayso" <jayso_chinnery@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > To make it simpler, if you already have ur network set up, and with
    > local
    > user accounts. right-click on the folder(s) you would like to share on
    > the network (or the entire c:\ drive if you'd like). And go to
    > properties >> Sharing. From here it becomes quite simpler to do. (i
    > have XP Home btw)
    >
    > You can then access all of the shared files from all of the computers
    > from My Network Places. (And from there you can map them as network
    > drives, so they appear in My Computer)
    >
    > --
    > Jayso
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
    >> JimmyJam wrote:
    >>> Just to be clear, I am using WinXP Pro, SP2, on a home network, with
    >>> no domain. I would like to be able (whether by permissions or
    >>> password) to access all the files in all subdirs on the other
    >>> machines on my network so I can transfer files back and forth.
    >>>
    >>> All the information I have about setting permissions requires that I
    >>> be in a domain. Unless there is a way to simply declare a domain,
    >>> then I don't see a way to a solution to my problem.
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks.
    >>

    >> On the WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
    >> that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log
    >> on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
    >> access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
    >> properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall
    >> is disabled on the internal LAN connection.
    >>
    >> Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    >> almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    >> easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:
    >>
    >> Home Networking
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.as
    >>
    >> Networking Information
    >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm
    >>
    >> PracticallyNetworked Home
    >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm
    >>
    >> Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
    >> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    >>
    >> Configuring Windows 2000 Professional to Work in a Peer-to-Peer
    >> Network
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q258717
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Bruce Chambers
    >>
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    >> having both at once. - RAH

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Sometimes you can't make the folder private. You can still protect your
    files but i ask have you got WinXP Home or Pro?

    --
    Jayso

    "drey" <drey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm also trying to protect folders with passwords, so other users on this
    > computer do not have acces to my private files...however when i go to
    > properties, under the sharing tab, "make this folder private" check box.
    > the
    > check box is shaded and clicking on it does nothing as if though it is
    > disabled...
    > How do i change this or otherwise protect my files?
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:50:01 GMT, JimmyJam <jimmy@a0l.com> wrote:

    >Having just switched from Win98, I miss the easy (and weak) security of
    >that OS.

    Yep. It was certainly safer out of the box; no instant death RPC and
    LSASS defects being waved at the 'net even before you do anything.

    >I want to be able to connect to each subdir on every machine on my home
    >network so I can move files around.

    Careful - do NOT full-share all HDs on all PCs! If one PC gets
    malware'd, that malware can immediately drop into the startup axis
    (any \Autorun.inf, the Startup groups, etc.) and go active as soon as
    those PCs start up again. If you *must* "share everything", then do
    so as Read-Only. Then within the HD, full-share only safe locations.

    >I would like to be able to limit other family members to be able to read
    >(and see?) specific folders and files on my computer.

    That's more sensible, yes.

    >As I read it, because I am not on a domain, I cannot use the more advanced
    >security system in XP, but must use Simple and let everyone have access to
    >all my files?

    Yup. It gets worse; dumb-ass XP has "hidden" admin shares c$, d$ etc.
    that break the advice I just gave you, and these are active in XP Pro
    at least. They're only "hidden" so that you don't see them; the nice
    fixed names mean any malware can use them just fine.

    >If I am correct, are there reg hacks or other software that will let me
    >control access to others in my home workgroup? GPEdit doesnt seem to offer
    >any solution because everything seems to come back to groups of users in a
    >domain. Lacking a server, I have no domain.

    Some debate on that; as I understand it, the answer is maybe, and only
    if you use NTFS and can do file permissions at that level. Simple
    file sharing works through the Guest account, rather than each user's
    account settings, so it's not fine-grained per user. Even though
    Guest may be (should be) disabled as a local logon, it's there and has
    to be there if Simple File Sharing is to work.

    The old Win9x practice of "protecting" shares via band-aid passwords,
    and doiing so on a per user basis, is absent in XP, because XP has the
    More Secure access system based on per-file NTFS permissions. So even
    though passwords can be near-useless, you don't even have that.

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Thanks for these comments, Chris. It is reassuring that I didn't miss
    something big. I just need to find a way (third party? probably not,
    right?) to access subdirs on the other machines in the network. We are all
    using NTFS on WinXP Pro, so I need to explore the admin shares to see if
    there is something there.

    I tried accessing one of the XPs from a 98 machine and it asked for a
    password. Now I need to know how I could have set that password. Admin
    share? In any case, none was set, so i couldn't access the subdir.

    You'd think that someone would provide an easy and secure way to allow an
    admin on a small, non-domain'd system to access subdirs to update files.

    Alas.

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
    in news:0aplb15lj2fhjam8ppgasgi5n35n3rdbha@4ax.com:

    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:50:01 GMT, JimmyJam <jimmy@a0l.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Having just switched from Win98, I miss the easy (and weak) security
    >>of that OS.
    >
    > Yep. It was certainly safer out of the box; no instant death RPC and
    > LSASS defects being waved at the 'net even before you do anything.
    >
    >>I want to be able to connect to each subdir on every machine on my
    >>home network so I can move files around.
    >
    > Careful - do NOT full-share all HDs on all PCs! If one PC gets
    > malware'd, that malware can immediately drop into the startup axis
    > (any \Autorun.inf, the Startup groups, etc.) and go active as soon as
    > those PCs start up again. If you *must* "share everything", then do
    > so as Read-Only. Then within the HD, full-share only safe locations.
    >
    >>I would like to be able to limit other family members to be able to
    >>read (and see?) specific folders and files on my computer.
    >
    > That's more sensible, yes.
    >
    >>As I read it, because I am not on a domain, I cannot use the more
    >>advanced security system in XP, but must use Simple and let everyone
    >>have access to all my files?
    >
    > Yup. It gets worse; dumb-ass XP has "hidden" admin shares c$, d$ etc.
    > that break the advice I just gave you, and these are active in XP Pro
    > at least. They're only "hidden" so that you don't see them; the nice
    > fixed names mean any malware can use them just fine.
    >
    >>If I am correct, are there reg hacks or other software that will let
    >>me control access to others in my home workgroup? GPEdit doesnt seem
    >>to offer any solution because everything seems to come back to groups
    >>of users in a domain. Lacking a server, I have no domain.
    >
    > Some debate on that; as I understand it, the answer is maybe, and only
    > if you use NTFS and can do file permissions at that level. Simple
    > file sharing works through the Guest account, rather than each user's
    > account settings, so it's not fine-grained per user. Even though
    > Guest may be (should be) disabled as a local logon, it's there and has
    > to be there if Simple File Sharing is to work.
    >
    > The old Win9x practice of "protecting" shares via band-aid passwords,
    > and doiing so on a per user basis, is absent in XP, because XP has the
    > More Secure access system based on per-file NTFS permissions. So even
    > though passwords can be near-useless, you don't even have that.
    >

    >>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
    > Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    > better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
    >>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Either I wasnt being clear (in addition to being dumbheaded) or a very easy
    solution was overlooked by many, many folks. Here it is:

    I need to create the same or a matching user/password pair on every
    computer on the home network. So, if I log on as User1 with User1Pwd, my
    wife's computer (though she is User2 with User2Pwd) must have a user named
    User1 with User1Pwd. Daughter's computer (She is User3), must still have a
    user named User1 with User1Pwd. (I learned this from the discussion in the
    book for www.xphomenetworking.com -- in a mixed network.)

    When it is applied to XP, I can obviously setup shares (because User1
    exists on each PC) and I can read and write to those previously protected
    \Windows, \Program Files, etc. folders.

    Is that what y'all were suggesting I learn by reading that basic material?

Security Computers Windows XP