Board Band problem

Deal All,

My computer have following problem, can you please give me some advise how
to fix it ? Many thx

The problem is :

when connect to boardband (cable modem), the computer hang up or sometime
reboot automately. (if disconnect boardband the computer work fine)

Also IF use 56K dail up to connect internet, there is no problem at all.

Best regards,
LL
6 answers Last reply
More about board band problem

    In news:u60XQlidFHA.1036@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    123 <km123hk@hutchcity.com> had this to say:

    > Deal All,
    >
    > My computer have following problem, can you please give me some
    > advise how to fix it ? Many thx
    >
    > The problem is :
    >
    > when connect to boardband (cable modem), the computer hang up or
    > sometime reboot automately. (if disconnect boardband the computer
    > work fine)
    > Also IF use 56K dail up to connect internet, there is no problem at
    > all.
    > Best regards,
    > LL

    Does this connect to the computer via USB or with a NIC?

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    123 wrote:
    > Deal All,
    >
    > My computer have following problem, can you please give me some
    > advise how to fix it ? Many thx
    >
    > The problem is :
    >
    > when connect to boardband (cable modem), the computer hang up or
    > sometime reboot automately. (if disconnect boardband the computer
    > work fine)
    > Also IF use 56K dail up to connect internet, there is no problem at
    > all.
    > Best regards,
    > LL

    LL,

    When you connect to 'broadband', how are you making the connection?
    Is it through a Network Card (NIC) or through some USB connection?

    Is your computer patched (the operating system) with the latest security
    updates and such from http://windowsupdates.microsoft.com/?

    Do you have the latest hardware drivers (particularly your network card and
    motherboard chipset) installed from the actual manufacturer of those
    components (not the microsoft updates site)?

    When was the last time you scanned you system for viruses/trojans/worms
    using an antivirus application other than the one you have installed on your
    system? (I recommend doing so with this online scanner:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp )

    When was the last time you scanned your system for spyware/adware/malware
    using more than one (more like 3-5) different anti-malware applications? (I
    recommend Lavasoft AdAware SE 1.06, Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4,
    SpywareBlaster 3.4 and IE-SpyAd2 at least.)

    What type of firewall do you have - are you using the built-in Windows XP
    SP2 Firewall and have you checked its configuration for ports you did not
    open?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thx for your advise, but how to open Watson ? please help

    thx

    LL

    "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:ODy2KFmdFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    In news:e$n40ZwdFHA.2548@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    123 <km123hk@hutchcity.com> had this to say:

    > Thx for your advise, but how to open Watson ? please help
    >
    > thx
    >
    > LL
    >
    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
    > ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:ODy2KFmdFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> In news:u60XQlidFHA.1036@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> 123 <km123hk@hutchcity.com> had this to say:

    >>> Deal All,
    >>>
    >>> My computer have following problem, can you please give me some
    >>> advise how to fix it ? Many thx
    >>>
    >>> The problem is :
    >>>
    >>> when connect to boardband (cable modem), the computer hang up or
    >>> sometime reboot automately. (if disconnect boardband the computer
    >>> work fine)
    >>> Also IF use 56K dail up to connect internet, there is no problem at
    >>> all.
    >>> Best regards,
    >>> LL
    >>
    >> Does this connect to the computer via USB or with a NIC?
    >>
    >> Galen
    >> --
    >>
    >> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    >> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    >> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    >> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
    >>
    >> Sherlock Holmes

    That was a question, not advice. <g> I'm afraid you mistook my signature
    file for something important? At any rate you've not answered the question
    which is how does your modem connect to your computer? Is it via USB or via
    NIC? (Is the connection small and metalic or does it look like a giant
    telephone plug?)

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    thx for response,

    I'm using cable modem and connect to NIC.

    The problem is once turn on the cable modem - window hang up

    The computer work fine without boardband connection.

    I have used antispyware software to scan the computer and no spyware.

    Best regards,
    LL

    "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:OnDdr5ydFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

    In news:eYrmwmeeFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    123 <km123hk@hutchcity.com> had this to say:

    > thx for response,
    >
    > I'm using cable modem and connect to NIC.
    >
    > The problem is once turn on the cable modem - window hang up
    >
    > The computer work fine without boardband connection.
    >
    > I have used antispyware software to scan the computer and no spyware.
    >
    > Best regards,

    I guess, then, you could remove your NIC drivers and re-install them. That
    would be the way to go for starters. Do you have some third party firewall
    installed? If I understand you correctly you're saying that you can't
    connect to your broadband connection, when you do it causes windows to
    crash. The first thing I'd do is to disable automatic restarts on errors and
    then I'd press start > run > and type "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes)
    and I'd look for errors in there. The next time it crashes record and post
    back the error data so we can better determine what the problem is.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

Connection Computers Windows XP