Windows explorer help "helpctr.exe not a valid win32 app"

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

When I clicked on WE help I received the above message. I then navigated to
C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries and tried to rename helpctr.exe, prior
to replacing with a copy from \servicepackfiles\i386.
The renamed file was immediately supplemented by a new copy of helpctr.exe
and soon after Norton firewall intercepted a request from explorer to access
the internet.
Is this a virus and how do I repair it? (I am running AVG antivirus)

George,

Do you still get the error message? Explorer will attempt to access the
net if Help and Support Center is functioning correctly. BUT, Explorer
can ALSO be infected and the only way you will be able to detect this is
by using ProcessExplorer NT to examine it's Threads.
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
If you need further assistance with determining if any Thread is
malicious please post back here.

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten