Windows explorer help "helpctr.exe not a valid win32 app"

When I clicked on WE help I received the above message. I then navigated to
C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries and tried to rename helpctr.exe, prior
to replacing with a copy from \servicepackfiles\i386.
The renamed file was immediately supplemented by a new copy of helpctr.exe
and soon after Norton firewall intercepted a request from explorer to access
the internet.
Is this a virus and how do I repair it? (I am running AVG antivirus)
1 answer Last reply
More about windows explorer helpctr valid win32

    George,

    Do you still get the error message? Explorer will attempt to access the
    net if Help and Support Center is functioning correctly. BUT, Explorer
    can ALSO be infected and the only way you will be able to detect this is
    by using ProcessExplorer NT to examine it's Threads.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
    If you need further assistance with determining if any Thread is
    malicious please post back here.

    MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten

    George wrote:

    > When I clicked on WE help I received the above message. I then navigated to
    > C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries and tried to rename helpctr.exe, prior
    > to replacing with a copy from \servicepackfiles\i386.
    > The renamed file was immediately supplemented by a new copy of helpctr.exe
    > and soon after Norton firewall intercepted a request from explorer to access
    > the internet.
    > Is this a virus and how do I repair it? (I am running AVG antivirus)

Windows Explorer Windows XP