"Log on to" option missing after pressing Ctl-Alt-Del

Greetings,

Recently I accidently changed the domain of a computer at work to
"workgroup" and now I cannot log in at all because it says the user does not
exist on the domain. But I cannot change the domain now because if you press
the options button the "log on to:" is no longer an option. Is there anyway
I can still log onto the computer?

Thanks,
dkcool
3 answers Last reply
More about option missing pressing

    You need the local administrator's password for the computer.

    There are several ways to get this password.
    Through a pay service: http://www.loginrecovery.com/

    Or you can download a free utility that uses a small linux system to mount
    and change the registry:

    Those should get you back into the system.

    dkcool wrote:
    > Recently I accidently changed the domain of a computer at work to
    > "workgroup" and now I cannot log in at all because it says the user
    > does not exist on the domain. But I cannot change the domain now
    > because if you press the options button the "log on to:" is no longer
    > an option. Is there anyway I can still log onto the computer?

    That's a difficult "accident" to manage. As many clicks and questions and
    requested usernames/passwords as it takes - you had to make a series of
    these accidents.

    In any case - you need a local username/password in order to logon now.
    Likely the only local accounts that ever existed on that domain machine
    were/are administrators. Know any of them?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Uh, if you removed it from the domain, there is no way to log onto the
    machine with a domain account. It has no knowledge of the domain.

    If there are local machine accounts that you know the passwords to, you can
    use them and possibly, if you have appropriate credentials on the machine
    and the domain, you can re-join it.

    David.

    "dkcool" <dkcool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Recently I accidently changed the domain of a computer at work to
    > "workgroup" and now I cannot log in at all because it says the user does
    > not
    > exist on the domain. But I cannot change the domain now because if you
    > press
    > the options button the "log on to:" is no longer an option. Is there
    > anyway
    > I can still log onto the computer?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > dkcool