"Log on to" option missing after pressing Ctl-Alt-Del

Tags:
  • Domain
  • Computers
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 21, 2005 11:56:02 AM

Greetings,

Recently I accidently changed the domain of a computer at work to
"workgroup" and now I cannot log in at all because it says the user does not
exist on the domain. But I cannot change the domain now because if you press
the options button the "log on to:" is no longer an option. Is there anyway
I can still log onto the computer?

Thanks,
dkcool

More about : log option missing pressing ctl alt del

June 21, 2005 12:57:09 PM

You need the local administrator's password for the computer.

There are several ways to get this password.
Through a pay service: http://www.loginrecovery.com/

Or you can download a free utility that uses a small linux system to mount
and change the registry:

Those should get you back into the system.

"dkcool" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Recently I accidently changed the domain of a computer at work to
> "workgroup" and now I cannot log in at all because it says the user does not
> exist on the domain. But I cannot change the domain now because if you press
> the options button the "log on to:" is no longer an option. Is there anyway
> I can still log onto the computer?
>
> Thanks,
> dkcool
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 5:54:21 AM

dkcool wrote:
> Recently I accidently changed the domain of a computer at work to
> "workgroup" and now I cannot log in at all because it says the user
> does not exist on the domain. But I cannot change the domain now
> because if you press the options button the "log on to:" is no longer
> an option. Is there anyway I can still log onto the computer?

That's a difficult "accident" to manage. As many clicks and questions and
requested usernames/passwords as it takes - you had to make a series of
these accidents.

In any case - you need a local username/password in order to logon now.
Likely the only local accounts that ever existed on that domain machine
were/are administrators. Know any of them?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Uh, if you removed it from the domain, there is no way to log onto the
machine with a domain account. It has no knowledge of the domain.

If there are local machine accounts that you know the passwords to, you can
use them and possibly, if you have appropriate credentials on the machine
and the domain, you can re-join it.

David.

!