cant get past admin log in screen on XP after Repair to XP..

on my home dell with win XP prof, installation got messed up by something
from internet (even with Norton and Adaware and spybot).
Tried to system restore. That crashed and pc no longer even booted. then
tried XP repair using dell original disk. After chugging away for about 40
mins, it pops up the administration screen (which I have never used
previously) and demands a password. nHelpfully, iit says did you forget your
password? and suggests retypeing it carefully in upper and lower case. Not
very logical really as if its forgotton cant retype it carefully.
In this case, I never set it. So ow do I get past this very silly screen?
Any ideas most welcome.
Is it all a coded message for XP is messed up and needs a format and
complete re-install?

If you have never seen the log into windows dialog box then you must have
just been using fast user switching. In the past you must have just clicked
on a name when you wanted to log into windows. And then it may or may not
have prompted you for a password. Depending on if you set a password for that
name. What i am looking for is any account name you have used in the past. If
you can not remember the admin pw try and put in your old account name w/ or
w/o a password to get in. If it lets you in you need to go and configure your
user account settings in control panel. If you just repaired XP and did not
reinstall you should still have your old account in the system. It should be
the same name you saw when you hit the start button and it displayed a name
at the top of the menu. That may or may not be the case but you get the idea.
And also when you are typing in the user name and password at the first
screen, are you entering "administrator" as the user name, and leaving the
password blank? If you never configured it it should let you in that way.
Hope this may help you!!?