100 gamers a month!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

this proves alot!
one hundred gamers a month are signing the "say No to steam" petition!
and lets not forget this is for gamers which have access to the internet
so millions of gamers which don't have net are not able to participate
and the petition has completely no advertising at all, but still month
after month it grows steady

now i'm sure valve will lose big time!

once again, if you have not sign it please do, if you have please warn
every fellow gamer friend so they can sign it also

post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

difool wrote:
> this proves alot!
> one hundred gamers a month are signing the "say No to steam" petition!
> and lets not forget this is for gamers which have access to the internet
> so millions of gamers which don't have net are not able to participate
> and the petition has completely no advertising at all, but still month
> after month it grows steady

And absolutely nothing has ever changed because of one of these petitions.

Do you really think that a few hundred easily-forged digital signatures
is going to get Valve shaking in it's boots? Are you really this
retarded, or do you just play one here?

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> this proves alot!
> one hundred gamers a month are signing the "say No to steam" petition!
> and lets not forget this is for gamers which have access to the internet
> so millions of gamers which don't have net are not able to participate
> and the petition has completely no advertising at all, but still month
> after month it grows steady
>
> now i'm sure valve will lose big time!
>
> once again, if you have not sign it please do, if you have please warn
> every fellow gamer friend so they can sign it also
>
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
> http://www.steamwatch.org/
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

So that's not advertising?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I started thinking something odd was going on in
alt.games.half-life when one foggy november evening Polarhound
<Polarhound@comcast.net> came into my office and told me:

> difool wrote:
>> this proves alot!
>> one hundred gamers a month are signing the "say No to steam"
>> and lets not forget this is for gamers which have
>> access to the internet so millions of gamers which don't have
>> net are not able to participate and the petition has completely
>> no advertising at all, but still month after month it grows
>> steady

you're right there: all the players who dont have access to the net
are against steam.

--
Iphigenie, http://iphi.net
email:iphi.at.imagis.ch icq:55502215 aol:superiphi steam:superiphi

Iphi's game news: http://www.iphi.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?mode=games
Iphi's UK bargain watch: http://www.iphi.net/more.php?id=102_0_1_0_M

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:44:39 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>this proves alot!
>one hundred gamers a month are signing the "say No to steam" petition!
>and lets not forget this is for gamers which have access to the internet
>so millions of gamers which don't have net are not able to participate
>and the petition has completely no advertising at all, but still month
>after month it grows steady

Great - and since the game is presumably selling less and less each
month as everyone who wants it has already bought it, exactly what is
the point ?

And what's with all the carrots ?

Polarhound wrote:

> Are you really this retarded, or do you just play one here?

You've not met difool before, then?

Bloody hell, have you read the open letter? How many "brownies" do you think he
had before he wrote it? :) Yep, I can really see Valve paying that a lot of
attention. A rich source of sig quotes too, if Neil is watching ;)

--
Paul

"The action of computer fraud originates from the instinct for technical
challenges that almost any young male with a computer at home feels. This
instinct is the reason why they own computers." - DrSteam, open letter to Valve.

Paul Catley wrote:

> Bloody hell, have you read the open letter? How many "brownies" do
> you think he had before he wrote it? :) Yep, I can really see Valve
> paying that a lot of attention. A rich source of sig quotes too, if
> Neil is watching ;)

Whoops, that should have been in response to difool's SteamWatch thread.

Serves me right for drinking lots of beer during *WALES' 11-9 VICTORY OVER
ENGLAND*!!!!

:D :D :D

--
Paul

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> this proves alot!
> one hundred gamers a month are signing the "say No to steam" petition!
> and lets not forget this is for gamers which have access to the internet
> so millions of gamers which don't have net are not able to participate
> and the petition has completely no advertising at all, but still month
> after month it grows steady
>
> now i'm sure valve will lose big time!
>
> once again, if you have not sign it please do, if you have please warn
> every fellow gamer friend so they can sign it also
>
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
> http://www.steamwatch.org/
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

This is a quote from the page....

"Valve Software has announced that all upcomming Mods and Updates for their
game "Half-Life" will use Steam technology.

This technology discriminates 56k and ISDN Users, as they have to download
the complete game (~500mb), which takes way too long."

Lets break that down. All upcoming mods, and updates for their game
"Half-Life" will use steam technology. Mods, and Updates is what it says.

In the very next sentence it says, "as they have to download the complete
game (~500mb), which takes way too long". <<<Thats downloading the whole
game, not a mod, or an update. You can buy HL2 from the shops, to save most
of the download. Updates are reasonably small, and don't take very long. I
remember waiting hours and hours on my 56k to patch all manor of games
(including HL1) with patches from 70 to 300meg , so don't tell me that is
something new. At least now it all happens seemlessly without having to try
and find a decent working update site.
The petition is floored with contradicting information imho.

I also want to know where they get the "which takes way too long" bit from.
How do they, you define what is way too long? It's all about perceptions...
man. : )

"Desosa" <yadd@yadda.yadda> wrote in message

> "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> > this proves alot!
> > one hundred gamers a month are signing the "say No to steam" petition!
> > and lets not forget this is for gamers which have access to the internet
> > so millions of gamers which don't have net are not able to participate
> > and the petition has completely no advertising at all, but still month
> > after month it grows steady
> >
> > now i'm sure valve will lose big time!
> >
> > once again, if you have not sign it please do, if you have please warn
> > every fellow gamer friend so they can sign it also
> >
> > http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
> >
> > --
> > post made in a steam-free computer
> > i said "NO" to valve and steam
> >
> > steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
> > http://www.steamwatch.org/
> >
> > please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> > http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
>
> This is a quote from the page....
>
> "Valve Software has announced that all upcomming Mods and Updates for
their
> game "Half-Life" will use Steam technology.
>
> This technology discriminates 56k and ISDN Users, as they have to download
> the complete game (~500mb), which takes way too long."

I also have to add, that it seems to imply that if you have a 56k or ISDN
connection that you 'have to' download the game, totally ignoring the fact
that anyone can buy it off the high street. You can get most people to sign
anything if you word it right, and that works both ways. In this case, the
petition is very very poorly devised.

Humbug!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sat, 05|\/\/\/|5 13:44:39 +0000, difool <john.difool|\/\/\/|lepac.pt>
wrote: |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
|\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>this prov|\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>one hundr|\/\/\/|s a month are signing the "say No to |\/\/\/|etition!
>and lets |\/\/\/|et this is for gamers which have acce|\/\/\/|e internet
>so millio|\/\/\/|mers which don't have net are not abl|\/\/\/|ticipate
>and the p|\/\/\/|has completely no advertising at all,|\/\/\/|ll month
>after mon|\/\/\/|ows steady |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>now i'm s|\/\/\/|e will lose big time! |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>once agai|\/\/\/|u have not sign it please do, if you |\/\/\/|ase warn
>every fel|\/\/\/|r friend so they can sign it also |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>http://ww|\/\/\/|ononline.com/nosteam/petition.html |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>-- |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>post made|\/\/\/|eam-free computer |\/\/\/|
>i said "N|\/\/\/|lve and steam |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>steamwatc|\/\/\/|pendent observatory about steam |\/\/\/|
>http://ww|\/\/\/|atch.org/ |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>please si|\/\/\/|ion "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:|\/\/\/|
>http://ww|\/\/\/|ononline.com/nosteam/petition.html |\/\/\/|
|\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
|\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
|\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|

Ahhh, good times.

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

Hong Ooi wrote:
> On Sat, 05|\/\/\/|5 13:44:39 +0000, difool <john.difool|\/\/\/|lepac.pt>
> wrote: |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>
>>this prov|\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>one hundr|\/\/\/|s a month are signing the "say No to |\/\/\/|etition!
>>and lets |\/\/\/|et this is for gamers which have acce|\/\/\/|e internet
>>so millio|\/\/\/|mers which don't have net are not abl|\/\/\/|ticipate
>>and the p|\/\/\/|has completely no advertising at all,|\/\/\/|ll month
>>after mon|\/\/\/|ows steady |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>now i'm s|\/\/\/|e will lose big time! |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>once agai|\/\/\/|u have not sign it please do, if you |\/\/\/|ase warn
>>every fel|\/\/\/|r friend so they can sign it also |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>http://ww|\/\/\/|ononline.com/nosteam/petition.html |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>-- |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>post made|\/\/\/|eam-free computer |\/\/\/|
>>i said "N|\/\/\/|lve and steam |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>steamwatc|\/\/\/|pendent observatory about steam |\/\/\/|
>>http://ww|\/\/\/|atch.org/ |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>please si|\/\/\/|ion "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:|\/\/\/|
>>http://ww|\/\/\/|ononline.com/nosteam/petition.html |\/\/\/|
>
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>

> Ahhh, good times.

Ive got to LOL at that reply

Hong Ooi wrote:
> On Sat, 05|\/\/\/|5 13:44:39 +0000, difool <john.difool|\/\/\/|lepac.pt>
> wrote: |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>
>>this prov|\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>one hundr|\/\/\/|s a month are signing the "say No to |\/\/\/|etition!
>>and lets |\/\/\/|et this is for gamers which have acce|\/\/\/|e internet
>>so millio|\/\/\/|mers which don't have net are not abl|\/\/\/|ticipate
>>and the p|\/\/\/|has completely no advertising at all,|\/\/\/|ll month
>>after mon|\/\/\/|ows steady |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>now i'm s|\/\/\/|e will lose big time! |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>once agai|\/\/\/|u have not sign it please do, if you |\/\/\/|ase warn
>>every fel|\/\/\/|r friend so they can sign it also |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>http://ww|\/\/\/|ononline.com/nosteam/petition.html |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>-- |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>post made|\/\/\/|eam-free computer |\/\/\/|
>>i said "N|\/\/\/|lve and steam |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>steamwatc|\/\/\/|pendent observatory about steam |\/\/\/|
>>http://ww|\/\/\/|atch.org/ |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>please si|\/\/\/|ion "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:|\/\/\/|
>>http://ww|\/\/\/|ononline.com/nosteam/petition.html |\/\/\/|
>
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>

> Ahhh, good times.

STEAM makes an excellent online delivery system for updates, patches,
etc. BUt I have to say its OTT on its draconian ownership over HOW you
play a game you own (i.e. purchased).

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>this proves alot!
>one hundred gamers a month are signing the "say No to steam" petition!

This post is so over-the-top, I think it actually prooves the difool
is a Steam proponent (possibly a Valve employee) who's strategy is to
present the Steam "opposition" (if such a thing can even be said to
exist) to be so bizzare and incompetent that people become fearful of
criticizing Steam in any way for fear of appearing in anyway connected
to such an idiot.

Joe

nostromo

Thus spake Hong Ooi <hong@zipworld.com.au>, Sun, 06 Feb 2005 02:09:03 +1100,
Anno Domini:

>On Sat, 05|\/\/\/|5 13:44:39 +0000, difool <john.difool|\/\/\/|lepac.pt>
>wrote: |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>this prov|\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>one hundr|\/\/\/|s a month are signing the "say No to |\/\/\/|etition!
>>and lets |\/\/\/|et this is for gamers which have acce|\/\/\/|e internet
>>so millio|\/\/\/|mers which don't have net are not abl|\/\/\/|ticipate
>>and the p|\/\/\/|has completely no advertising at all,|\/\/\/|ll month
>>after mon|\/\/\/|ows steady |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>now i'm s|\/\/\/|e will lose big time! |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>once agai|\/\/\/|u have not sign it please do, if you |\/\/\/|ase warn
>>every fel|\/\/\/|r friend so they can sign it also |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>http://ww|\/\/\/|ononline.com/nosteam/petition.html |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>-- |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>post made|\/\/\/|eam-free computer |\/\/\/|
>>i said "N|\/\/\/|lve and steam |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>steamwatc|\/\/\/|pendent observatory about steam |\/\/\/|
>>http://ww|\/\/\/|atch.org/ |\/\/\/|
>> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>>please si|\/\/\/|ion "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:|\/\/\/|
>>http://ww|\/\/\/|ononline.com/nosteam/petition.html |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
> |\/\/\/| |\/\/\/|
>

>Ahhh, good times.

ROFLMFAO! Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiped!!!

I love your work Hong ;-)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Iphigenie wrote:
> I started thinking something odd was going on in
> alt.games.half-life when one foggy november evening Polarhound
> <Polarhound@comcast.net> came into my office and told me:
>

>>difool wrote:
>>
>>>this proves alot!
>>>one hundred gamers a month are signing the "say No to steam"
>>>and lets not forget this is for gamers which have
>>>access to the internet so millions of gamers which don't have
>>>net are not able to participate and the petition has completely
>>>no advertising at all, but still month after month it grows
>>>steady
>

> you're right there: all the players who dont have access to the net
> are against steam.

All the players who don't have access to the net don't even know a
petition exists.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a SINGLE petition on there that
changed something.

Polarhound wrote:

> I'm still waiting for someone to show me a SINGLE petition on there
> that changed something.

We, the undersigned, demand to see evidence that online petitions achieve
anything!

Signed:

Paul

shawk

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

Bertrand Russell

Shawk wrote:
> Paul Catley wrote:
>
>> Polarhound wrote:
>>
>>> I'm still waiting for someone to show me a SINGLE petition on there
>>> that changed something.
>>

>> We, the undersigned, demand to see evidence that online petitions achieve
>> anything!
>>
>> Signed:
>>
>> Paul
>> Shaun

Check this

http://www.petitiononline.com/BAMMO49/petition_response.html

cracked_all

shawk

CrackedAll wrote:
> Shawk wrote:
>
>> Paul Catley wrote:

>>> We, the undersigned, demand to see evidence that online petitions
>>> achieve
>>> anything!
>>>
>>> Signed:
>>>
>>> Paul