Sending text messages to cell phones..

Is it possible to write a Windows application that will send a short
text-only message to a cell phone, either by using the receiver's phone
number (ie. sendMessage("Hello", phoneNum) ) or by sending it to any cell
phone within a radius of the PC running the application?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about sending text messages cell phones

    You can only send a txt message to a cell phone through
    the respective cellular operator. The easiest way is the
    find out of the operator supports SMS through email. T-
    mobile (USA) does this. You can send an email to [mobile-
    number]@tmomail.net and the subject line will appear as
    txt message on the phone.
    You can send these messages to any phone regardless where
    it is located, as long as it is logged onto a cellular
    network....

    Do all text messages work like this?
    For example, when I receive a txt message in my cell phone from the same
    company that provides my service, are they sending it via an email?

    "VM" <vonchi_m@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Do all text messages work like this?
    > For example, when I receive a txt message in my cell phone from the same
    > company that provides my service, are they sending it via an email?

    Not all cell carriers allow SMS by open email.
    You need a special agreement with those who don't (of course, not for free).
    See http://sms.icq.com/sms
    www.smspop.com

    >>Any info is appreciated.

    The following might help -
    How Paging/SMS Works - http://www.notepage.net/how-it-works.htm
    What is SMS - http://www.ringtones-central.com/what-is-sms.htm

    Cheers,

    Riana

Cell Phones Internet Explorer Networking Microsoft Wireless Networking