Printer installation rights

a b 8 Security
June 21, 2005 2:35:03 PM

Is there a way to let local users of a computer have printer driver
installation rights without making them a member of the admin group?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 21, 2005 6:28:43 PM

From: "Northstar Ambulance" <NorthstarAmbulance@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Is there a way to let local users of a computer have printer driver
| installation rights without making them a member of the admin group?

Have you tried putting them in the "Power Users" group ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

See Bruce Sanderson's article at
if you are talking about a networked printer.

If you are talking about a local printer..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297780
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Northstar Ambulance" <NorthstarAmbulance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:16432052-B58A-47D2-BE09-9DCD474D82C1@microsoft.com...
> Is there a way to let local users of a computer have printer driver
> installation rights without making them a member of the admin group?

a b 8 Security
June 23, 2005 11:56:04 AM

Yes, I have tried that. I also changed the local policy to allow the Power
Users to install or remove device drivers and that also didn't work. With XP
Pro on the local computer I can not find a Printer Admin group either.

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "Northstar Ambulance" <NorthstarAmbulance@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | Is there a way to let local users of a computer have printer driver
> | installation rights without making them a member of the admin group?
>
> Have you tried putting them in the "Power Users" group ?
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 23, 2005 12:10:06 PM

Thank you for the links. I have tried adding the Power user group to the load
and unload driver privelege, but this still will not let a power user install
a printer. The printer I am trying to install is hooked up by a USB cable. Do
you think that might have anything to do with not being able to install the
printer, or would the load/unload device privelege work here as well?

Any more help wouold be great.

Tony

!