More about printer installation rights

    From: "Northstar Ambulance" <NorthstarAmbulance@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Is there a way to let local users of a computer have printer driver
    | installation rights without making them a member of the admin group?

    Have you tried putting them in the "Power Users" group ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    See Bruce Sanderson's article at
    if you are talking about a networked printer.

    If you are talking about a local printer..
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297780
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Northstar Ambulance" <NorthstarAmbulance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:16432052-B58A-47D2-BE09-9DCD474D82C1@microsoft.com...
    > Is there a way to let local users of a computer have printer driver
    > installation rights without making them a member of the admin group?

    Yes, I have tried that. I also changed the local policy to allow the Power
    Users to install or remove device drivers and that also didn't work. With XP
    Pro on the local computer I can not find a Printer Admin group either.

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > From: "Northstar Ambulance" <NorthstarAmbulance@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >
    > | Is there a way to let local users of a computer have printer driver
    > | installation rights without making them a member of the admin group?
    >
    > Have you tried putting them in the "Power Users" group ?
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Thank you for the links. I have tried adding the Power user group to the load
    and unload driver privelege, but this still will not let a power user install
    a printer. The printer I am trying to install is hooked up by a USB cable. Do
    you think that might have anything to do with not being able to install the
    printer, or would the load/unload device privelege work here as well?

    Any more help wouold be great.

    Tony

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > See Bruce Sanderson's article at
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
    > if you are talking about a networked printer.
    >
    > If you are talking about a local printer..
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297780
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Northstar Ambulance" <NorthstarAmbulance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in message news:16432052-B58A-47D2-BE09-9DCD474D82C1@microsoft.com...
    > > Is there a way to let local users of a computer have printer driver
    > > installation rights without making them a member of the admin group?

Printer Driver Security Microsoft Printers Windows XP