Extening Wireless Access

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 26, 2004 1:25:36 AM

Apologies if this is the wrog group, but a friend has a wireless router
connecting his ADSL line to a wireless network, and (for whatever
reason) it is placed in his basement. By the time he is at the bottom
of his garden with his laptop, the signal is just about gone. Is there
any way to extend the range by installing another access point within
range of the wireless router, on, say the first floor of the building,
and then having this WAP relay the signal out to the garden. I know I
can wire a directional antenna, or wire another access point by Cat5,
but I am trying to avoid both of these. His router is a Netgear DG834G.

Ron Douglas
June 26, 2004 1:25:37 AM

Hi.

May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

Jack (MVP-Networking)

"Ron Douglas" <rondotdouglas@entelworld.com> wrote in message
> Apologies if this is the wrog group, but a friend has a wireless router
> connecting his ADSL line to a wireless network, and (for whatever
> reason) it is placed in his basement. By the time he is at the bottom
> of his garden with his laptop, the signal is just about gone. Is there
> any way to extend the range by installing another access point within
> range of the wireless router, on, say the first floor of the building,
> and then having this WAP relay the signal out to the garden. I know I
> can wire a directional antenna, or wire another access point by Cat5,
> but I am trying to avoid both of these. His router is a Netgear DG834G.
>
> Ron Douglas
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 26, 2004 3:24:13 PM

Thanks for that, a repeater is precisely what I am looking for. Now all
I have to do is find one (preferably Netgear) that will work with his
router.

Ron