MS Internet Explorer or XP corrupting Acrobat Reader

Help! My wife is threatening to kill me - because I can't figure out why
Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.2. won't work on my pc once I have opened Explorer.

I removed and reinstalled acrobat reader and it opened and worked fine. But
as soon as I then opened MS Internet Explorer and either clicked on a pdf
link in Explorer or went back directly to Acrobat Reader it simply froze up.
When I then went to warm boot the pc showed that a Adobe Acrobat process was
running and needed a manual 'end now' before it could close.

Prior to opening Explorer I used Outlook 2002 and clicked on a pdf link
there and it worked fine - taking me to a website in Explorer...

The whole exercise has cost me lots of time and stress and if anyone can
help me - I would really appreciate it!

Thanks.

--
Sean
4 answers Last reply

    Launch Internet Explorer and from its Toolbar select:
    Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and place a check
    next to "Enable third-party browser extensions" and
    click Apply.

    If the above suggestion does not work, unistall your
    Adobe Reader, then download and reinstall it.

    Free Adobe Reader

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Sean Coady" wrote:

    | Help! My wife is threatening to kill me - because I can't figure out why
    | Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.2. won't work on my pc once I have opened Explorer.
    |
    | I removed and reinstalled acrobat reader and it opened and worked fine. But
    | as soon as I then opened MS Internet Explorer and either clicked on a pdf
    | link in Explorer or went back directly to Acrobat Reader it simply froze up.
    | When I then went to warm boot the pc showed that a Adobe Acrobat process was
    | running and needed a manual 'end now' before it could close.
    |
    | Prior to opening Explorer I used Outlook 2002 and clicked on a pdf link
    | there and it worked fine - taking me to a website in Explorer...
    |
    | The whole exercise has cost me lots of time and stress and if anyone can
    | help me - I would really appreciate it!
    |
    | Thanks.
    |
    | --
    | Sean

    Thanks Carey.

    I tried this and it still didn't work. However, if I completely removed
    Adobe Reader then re-installed it and applied the 7.01 and 7.0.2 patches, and
    then ran it - great. But if I then ventured further and tried again to
    select a pdf file from Explorer - nothing happened and the machine hung,
    forcing me to close down Explorer and reboot the pc (in order to close down
    Reader which was somehow running although not visible...)

    It seems to be something that can be reset by re-installing (although not
    just 'repairing') but which is triggered again when a pdf file in Explorer is
    selected.

    FYI - I run Norton Internet Security with standard settings and have XP2
    applied with Windows firewall turned off (instead using Nortons).

    Appreciate the fact you took time to reply. IF you have any more ideas I'd
    love to hear them!

    Thanks.

    --
    Sean

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Launch Internet Explorer and from its Toolbar select:
    > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and place a check
    > next to "Enable third-party browser extensions" and
    > click Apply.
    >
    > If the above suggestion does not work, unistall your
    > Adobe Reader, then download and reinstall it.
    >
    > Free Adobe Reader
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Sean Coady" wrote:
    >
    > | Help! My wife is threatening to kill me - because I can't figure out why
    > | Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.2. won't work on my pc once I have opened Explorer.
    > |
    > | I removed and reinstalled acrobat reader and it opened and worked fine. But
    > | as soon as I then opened MS Internet Explorer and either clicked on a pdf
    > | link in Explorer or went back directly to Acrobat Reader it simply froze up.
    > | When I then went to warm boot the pc showed that a Adobe Acrobat process was
    > | running and needed a manual 'end now' before it could close.
    > |
    > | Prior to opening Explorer I used Outlook 2002 and clicked on a pdf link
    > | there and it worked fine - taking me to a website in Explorer...
    > |
    > | The whole exercise has cost me lots of time and stress and if anyone can
    > | help me - I would really appreciate it!
    > |
    > | Thanks.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Sean

    While I don't have the problem that you do, I downloaded a tweaking program
    for Adobe that has speeded the loading of the program. It allows you to
    disable a number of plug-ins that Adobe loads. One of the plug-ins that
    Adobe loads may be causing your problem. The tweak is free and is at:

    http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/

    Let us know.

    "Sean Coady" <SeanCoady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Help! My wife is threatening to kill me - because I can't figure out why
    > Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.2. won't work on my pc once I have opened
    > Explorer.
    >
    > I removed and reinstalled acrobat reader and it opened and worked fine.
    > But
    > as soon as I then opened MS Internet Explorer and either clicked on a pdf
    > link in Explorer or went back directly to Acrobat Reader it simply froze
    > up.
    > When I then went to warm boot the pc showed that a Adobe Acrobat process
    > was
    > running and needed a manual 'end now' before it could close.
    >
    > Prior to opening Explorer I used Outlook 2002 and clicked on a pdf link
    > there and it worked fine - taking me to a website in Explorer...
    >
    > The whole exercise has cost me lots of time and stress and if anyone can
    > help me - I would really appreciate it!
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Sean

    Thanks Fritz. I have downloaded the file and will give it a try.
    --
    Sean

    "Fitz" wrote:

    > While I don't have the problem that you do, I downloaded a tweaking program
    > for Adobe that has speeded the loading of the program. It allows you to
    > disable a number of plug-ins that Adobe loads. One of the plug-ins that
    > Adobe loads may be causing your problem. The tweak is free and is at:
    >
    > http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/
    >
    > Let us know.
    >

    > "Sean Coady" <SeanCoady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Help! My wife is threatening to kill me - because I can't figure out why
    > > Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.2. won't work on my pc once I have opened
    > > Explorer.
    > >
    > > I removed and reinstalled acrobat reader and it opened and worked fine.
    > > But
    > > as soon as I then opened MS Internet Explorer and either clicked on a pdf
    > > link in Explorer or went back directly to Acrobat Reader it simply froze
    > > up.
    > > When I then went to warm boot the pc showed that a Adobe Acrobat process
    > > was
    > > running and needed a manual 'end now' before it could close.
    > >
    > > Prior to opening Explorer I used Outlook 2002 and clicked on a pdf link
    > > there and it worked fine - taking me to a website in Explorer...
    > >
    > > The whole exercise has cost me lots of time and stress and if anyone can
    > > help me - I would really appreciate it!
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Sean

Internet Explorer Acrobat Explorer Windows XP