Permissions on old Win2K drive affecting new XP config

Jewels

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004

Hello all-

I'm in the process of upgrading all my Win2K machines to XP Pro. My plan
has been to physically install a new hard drive (with the old hard drive
removed), install XP on the new drive, set it up according to my security
requirements, and then add the old drive back in as a slave. This has worked
well except for one thing: there appear to be residual accounts associated
with some files/folders on the old Win2K drive. These users show up as some
variation of S-1-5-21......, with a ? in the user/group icon. I am able to
remove the legacy accounts and reset permissions as I'd like them to be, but
it is quite time consuming going through the sharing/permissions on each and
every folder. Is there any streamlined way for me to give one user (say the
primary user of that PC) access to all the files/folders on the old drive?

thanks,

Open a command prompt window and enter CACLS /? This is the command line tool for setting file/folder permissions. The /? switch will give you the command line options. It should be fairly easy to use a BAT file to accept the desired user name and automatically apply permissions as approrpriate.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"jewels" <jewels@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C632B5BC-4E22-4099-951C-71754F542DCE@microsoft.com...
> Hello all-
>
> I'm in the process of upgrading all my Win2K machines to XP Pro. My plan
> has been to physically install a new hard drive (with the old hard drive
> removed), install XP on the new drive, set it up according to my security
> requirements, and then add the old drive back in as a slave. This has worked
> well except for one thing: there appear to be residual accounts associated
> with some files/folders on the old Win2K drive. These users show up as some
> variation of S-1-5-21......, with a ? in the user/group icon. I am able to
> remove the legacy accounts and reset permissions as I'd like them to be, but
> it is quite time consuming going through the sharing/permissions on each and
> every folder. Is there any streamlined way for me to give one user (say the
> primary user of that PC) access to all the files/folders on the old drive?
>
> thanks,

Jewels

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004

Thanks Doug. I'll try this out in a bit.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Open a command prompt window and enter CACLS /? This is the command line tool for setting file/folder permissions. The /? switch will give you the command line options. It should be fairly easy to use a BAT file to accept the desired user name and automatically apply permissions as approrpriate.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "jewels" <jewels@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C632B5BC-4E22-4099-951C-71754F542DCE@microsoft.com...
> > Hello all-
> >
> > I'm in the process of upgrading all my Win2K machines to XP Pro. My plan
> > has been to physically install a new hard drive (with the old hard drive
> > removed), install XP on the new drive, set it up according to my security
> > requirements, and then add the old drive back in as a slave. This has worked
> > well except for one thing: there appear to be residual accounts associated
> > with some files/folders on the old Win2K drive. These users show up as some
> > variation of S-1-5-21......, with a ? in the user/group icon. I am able to
> > remove the legacy accounts and reset permissions as I'd like them to be, but
> > it is quite time consuming going through the sharing/permissions on each and
> > every folder. Is there any streamlined way for me to give one user (say the
> > primary user of that PC) access to all the files/folders on the old drive?
> >
> > thanks,

TRENDING THREADS