Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Replacing my Sony Clie

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 8:01:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I am looking to relpace my Clie (PalmOS) device soon. I have
decided that I need to go PocketPC now as I am supporting a
number of people with Outlook/PocketPC setups and need to be
up to speed with them myself.

I have a budget of £250 ukpounds and have the following needs:

small size (so it gets taken everywhere)
build quality
bluetooth

Ideally I'd like wifi as well, but let's assume I get something
that can take a wifi card later. If I do this, and assume that
I keep all my essential stuff on internal memory, then would
there be any problems in me removing a memory card (with not so
important information on) and plugging in a wifi card when/if I
wanted to access a network for a short time?

Also - can anyone point me in the direction of something that
will list the differences between Pocket Windows (or whatever
it's called) 2002 and 2003?

Finally - any recomendations on what unit to go with?

Many, many thanks.

--
Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com&gt;

More about : replacing sony clie

April 29, 2004 8:16:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Bryan Anderson" <usenet@anderson-it.com> wrote in message
news:306290p73hbf0r7nngipacjho5snp8tgnm@4ax.com...
>
> I am looking to relpace my Clie (PalmOS) device soon. I have
> decided that I need to go PocketPC now as I am supporting a
> number of people with Outlook/PocketPC setups and need to be
> up to speed with them myself.
>
> I have a budget of £250 ukpounds and have the following needs:
>
> small size (so it gets taken everywhere)
> build quality
> bluetooth
>

250 got me an ipaq 4150 (BT and WIFI and 1 sd slot). which i thought was
pretty reasonable. you can get a 2210 for even less (bt, no wifi, but has CF
and SD slots) so you might get that and a CF wifi card.

spammy
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 8:17:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Bryan Anderson" <usenet@anderson-it.com> wrote in message
news:306290p73hbf0r7nngipacjho5snp8tgnm@4ax.com...
>
> I am looking to relpace my Clie (PalmOS) device soon. I have
> decided that I need to go PocketPC now as I am supporting a
> number of people with Outlook/PocketPC setups and need to be
> up to speed with them myself.
>
> I have a budget of £250 ukpounds and have the following needs:
>
> small size (so it gets taken everywhere)
> build quality
> bluetooth

HP iPAQ 2210 - has both an SD and a CF Card slot so you can
add a WiFi CF Card later if you wish.

> Also - can anyone point me in the direction of something that
> will list the differences between Pocket Windows (or whatever
> it's called) 2002 and 2003?

Sorry, I don;t know a page that does this, though I'm sure
there will be several - the 2210 above comes with WM2003.

> Finally - any recomendations on what unit to go with?

As you're UK-based, see
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=105739

HTH,

Flib
Related resources
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 9:37:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Bryan Anderson" <usenet@anderson-it.com> wrote in message
news:306290p73hbf0r7nngipacjho5snp8tgnm@4ax.com...
>
> I am looking to relpace my Clie (PalmOS) device soon. I have
> decided that I need to go PocketPC now as I am

............

>
> Also - can anyone point me in the direction of something that
> will list the differences between Pocket Windows (or whatever
> it's called) 2002 and 2003?
>


Look at microsofts site- it has details.


> Finally - any recomendations on what unit to go with?
>

As you are in the UK take a trip to your local WH Smith. There is a
quarterly magazine called PDA Buyer that has just come out (Iss 6). It has
tests and details that may be of help.


> Many, many thanks.
>
> --
> Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com&gt;
April 30, 2004 2:36:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Bryan Anderson wrote:
> I am looking to relpace my Clie (PalmOS) device soon. I have
> decided that I need to go PocketPC now as I am supporting a
> number of people with Outlook/PocketPC setups and need to be
> up to speed with them myself.
>
> I have a budget of £250 ukpounds and have the following needs:
>
> small size (so it gets taken everywhere)
> build quality
> bluetooth
>
> Ideally I'd like wifi as well, but let's assume I get something
> that can take a wifi card later. If I do this, and assume that
> I keep all my essential stuff on internal memory, then would
> there be any problems in me removing a memory card (with not so
> important information on) and plugging in a wifi card when/if I
> wanted to access a network for a short time?
>
> Also - can anyone point me in the direction of something that
> will list the differences between Pocket Windows (or whatever
> it's called) 2002 and 2003?
>
> Finally - any recomendations on what unit to go with?
>
> Many, many thanks.
>
Got a 2210 for £279, in Dixons you can pay over 9 months - easy - just
don't pay it late or they charge you loads. It has Bluetooth, is quite
small, nice screen and has survved a few drops so far. Only bad thing,
often when pushing it down into my pocket I press in the SD card causing
it to pop out, bad when Im using it as an MP3 player but i just need to
learn to apply preasue somewhere else i guess.
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 3:20:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Thursday, Marc wrote:

> Got a 2210 for £279, in Dixons you can pay over 9 months -
> easy - just don't pay it late or they charge you loads. It
> has Bluetooth, is quite small, nice screen and has survved
> a few drops so far. Only bad thing, often when pushing it
> down into my pocket I press in the SD card causing it to
> pop out, bad when Im using it as an MP3 player but i just
> need to learn to apply preasue somewhere else i guess.

Well - thanks to all who replied - I have decided on the 2210
if I can get it in budget, or a 1940.....as I have seen these
on sale somewhere for £140 inc vat......looks like a bit of a
bargain to me.

I can manage without the wifi - 1940 has BT but only one SD
card slot....so I can get a SD wifi card but won't be able to
use it at the same time as an extra memory card. Still - the
wifi is for the future anyway.

Does the 400Mhz processor of the 2210 make *that* much of a
difference in everyday useage? The 1940 has the 266Mhz and I
don't want to find that it's significantly more sluggish.

Apart from the lack of the CF card and the slower processor,
I can't find any major differences between the two.

--
Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com&gt;
April 30, 2004 10:43:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Bryan Anderson wrote:
> On Thursday, Marc wrote:
> Well - thanks to all who replied - I have decided on the 2210
> if I can get it in budget, or a 1940.....as I have seen these
> on sale somewhere for £140 inc vat......looks like a bit of a
> bargain to me.
>
> I can manage without the wifi - 1940 has BT but only one SD
> card slot....so I can get a SD wifi card but won't be able to
> use it at the same time as an extra memory card. Still - the
> wifi is for the future anyway.
>
> Does the 400Mhz processor of the 2210 make *that* much of a
> difference in everyday useage? The 1940 has the 266Mhz and I
> don't want to find that it's significantly more sluggish.
>
> Apart from the lack of the CF card and the slower processor,
> I can't find any major differences between the two.
>

I havn't used the other one you're on about, but I can tell you that if
you plan to play MP3s in the background then a faster processer will
make the system run fater. As a general rule, always go for the best
spec you can afford because as with all things in computing, 4 months
down the line it will "old" and they will be some new software out -
you'll be more future proof with a faster device. Having said that, some
people have no plans to ever upgrade or add software, in which case the
slower processer is fine.

I also am 99% sure you can add a wi-fi card to the 2210, but ask
elsewhere as I wouldn't want you to take that as a certainty! I would
have thought it goes into the same slot as the CF card, so you might
want get SD as opposed to CF (they are only about £7 more on
ebuyer.co.uk - I've just ordedred a 256mb one for about £35).

You might want to check out the battery life comparason. I get a good 10
hours out of the 2210 (with backlight on low for a couple of hours, rest
of the time its off playing MP3s and WMA & leaving enough battery left
for 48 hours of standby time) as this might be an important factor.##if
costs a factor do what i did, get it for £270 in Dixons and pay off £200
there and then, and pay the rest over 9 months. btw I dont work for or
have shares in dixons I just thought it was quite a neat deal for
impulsive buyers like me :) 

Marc
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 10:43:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Wow, 10 hours of usage? Im lucky to get 2-2.5 hours on my h5550. This
dropped from 3.5-4 hours before the Rom 1.10 upg.

Mitch


"Marc" <marcus.no-spam@imarc.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1083347026.90638.0@dyke.uk.clara.net...
> You might want to check out the battery life comparason. I get a good 10
> hours out of the 2210 (with backlight on low for a couple of hours, rest
> of the time its off playing MP3s and WMA & leaving enough battery left
> for 48 hours of standby time) as this might be an important factor.##if
> costs a factor do what i did, get it for £270 in Dixons and pay off £200
> there and then, and pay the rest over 9 months. btw I dont work for or
> have shares in dixons I just thought it was quite a neat deal for
> impulsive buyers like me :) 
>
> Marc
April 30, 2004 11:13:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Mitch_A wrote:

> Wow, 10 hours of usage? Im lucky to get 2-2.5 hours on my h5550. This
> dropped from 3.5-4 hours before the Rom 1.10 upg.

Yeah i'm pleased with it. If I were to have the backlight on for more
than say 3 hours of that it would of course drop. Bluetooth drains it,
but generally it's on random/repeat playing music most of the day. Most
days I30% battery and says 3 hours left. of course this may be a case of
the battery indicator reporting incorrectly but it's seemed accurate so
far. I know batterys should be fully discharged every 6 charges or
something, how are you suppose to do this with the backup battery? Mine
has never been off 100% as I charge the device every night.

Marc
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 4:05:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Marc" <marcus.no-spam@imarc.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1083347026.90638.0@dyke.uk.clara.net...
> Bryan Anderson wrote:


> You might want to check out the battery life comparason. I get a good 10
> hours out of the 2210 (with backlight on low for a couple of hours, rest
> of the time its off playing MP3s and WMA & leaving enough battery left
> for 48 hours of standby time) as this might be an important factor

My mp3/wma only player runs for 20 hours on a single AA battery, and there
are units that use rechargeable batteries. It's worth considering a
dedicated mp3 player.
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 5:13:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Saturday, AlanS wrote:

> My mp3/wma only player runs for 20 hours on a single AA battery,
> and there are units that use rechargeable batteries. It's worth
> considering a dedicated mp3 player.

I shan't even be listening to mp3's on my iPaq. It'll be for diary,
email, contacts, some note and note-taking, some spreadsheets. I'll
mostly be using it to keep information with me.

The only time I'd listen to mp3's is on my bike when off-road. For
that I am considering a cheap solid-state mp3 player anyway.

--
Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com&gt;
!