win xp - can't install ati video drivers - access denied

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b \ Driver
March 8, 2005 10:46:01 PM

After running norton antivirus, my video driver was disabled. When I
tried to reinstall I got an "Access Denied" error. has anyone dealt
with this and how did you get passed this error? I'm seeing really bad
scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
pronto.

Don
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 9, 2005 2:53:49 AM

Yes, get rid of Norton Antivirus and use something less intrusive, like
AntiVir.

<bbcrock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After running norton antivirus, my video driver was disabled. When I
> tried to reinstall I got an "Access Denied" error. has anyone dealt
> with this and how did you get passed this error? I'm seeing really bad
> scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
> pronto.
>
> Don

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 9, 2005 10:48:53 AM

How do Norton continue to sell software with the amount of problems it
causes? I seen it so many times.....

news:D NidnSKr3vlDHLPfRVn-3Q@rogers.com...
> Yes, get rid of Norton Antivirus and use something less intrusive, like
> AntiVir.

> <bbcrock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> After running norton antivirus, my video driver was disabled. When I
>> tried to reinstall I got an "Access Denied" error. has anyone dealt
>> with this and how did you get passed this error? I'm seeing really bad
>> scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
>> pronto.
>>
>> Don

Related resources
March 9, 2005 11:00:26 AM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 07:48:53 -0000, "Lester Piglet"
<lesross@hotmail.com> wrote:

>How do Norton continue to sell software with the amount of problems it
>causes? I seen it so many times.....

I haven't touched any of their products since I used a "disk
optimisation" program on a Windows 95 machine years ago. It optimised
it by corrupting *every* .EXE and .COM file on the disk. The newsgroup
messages I regularly see with problems related to their products don't
make me want to try them again.
a b \ Driver
March 9, 2005 1:13:06 PM

Lester Piglet wrote:

> How do Norton continue to sell software with the amount of problems it
> causes? I seen it so many times.....

Same way Microsoft does. He with the biggest ad budget wins.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

bbcrock@hotmail.com wrote in news:1110339961.563504.313470
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> After running norton antivirus, my video driver was disabled. When I
> tried to reinstall I got an "Access Denied" error. has anyone dealt
> with this and how did you get passed this error? I'm seeing really bad
> scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
> pronto.
>
> Don

I wouldn't get rid of Norton - any access denied error is a question of
rights. Are you logged in as an Administrator, or a use with Administrator
privlidges?? That should take care of that.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 9, 2005 10:30:25 PM

"Lester Piglet" <lesross@hotmail.com> wrote in news:422eaa65$0$26732
$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:

> How do Norton continue to sell software with the amount of problems it
> causes? I seen it so many times.....
>
> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D NidnSKr3vlDHLPfRVn-3Q@rogers.com...
>> Yes, get rid of Norton Antivirus and use something less intrusive,
like
>> AntiVir.
>>
>> --
>> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
>> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
>> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
>>

>> <bbcrock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> After running norton antivirus, my video driver was disabled. When I
>>> tried to reinstall I got an "Access Denied" error. has anyone dealt
>>> with this and how did you get passed this error? I'm seeing really
bad
>>> scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
>>> pronto.
>>>
>>> Don

I guess I'm lucky - I have zero problems with my Norton Products....
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 9, 2005 10:59:02 PM

I also have zero problems with my Norton products and continue to
install and recommend Systemworks (Norton Utilities & Antivirus).

I do, however, think that as a general rule Symantec tends to buy
products, neglect them and "milk" them for cash flow. I really use and
need WinFax, but it hasn't been updated in about 4 years (since before
XP came out) and there are lot of problems with it in a modern XP system.

The Chris wrote:

> "Lester Piglet" <lesross@hotmail.com> wrote in news:422eaa65$0$26732
> $cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:
>

>>How do Norton continue to sell software with the amount of problems it
>>causes? I seen it so many times.....
>>
>>"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:D NidnSKr3vlDHLPfRVn-3Q@rogers.com...
>>
>>>Yes, get rid of Norton Antivirus and use something less intrusive,
>
> like
>
>>>AntiVir.
>>>
>>>--
>>>"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
>>>It can therefore be said that politics is war without
>>>bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
>>>

>>><bbcrock@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> bad

> I guess I'm lucky - I have zero problems with my Norton Products....
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 10, 2005 1:23:56 AM

Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in news:422F569F.3040708
@neo.rr.com:

> I also have zero problems with my Norton products and continue to
> install and recommend Systemworks (Norton Utilities & Antivirus).
>
> I do, however, think that as a general rule Symantec tends to buy
> products, neglect them and "milk" them for cash flow. I really use and
> need WinFax, but it hasn't been updated in about 4 years (since before
> XP came out) and there are lot of problems with it in a modern XP
system.

> The Chris wrote:
>
>> "Lester Piglet" <lesross@hotmail.com> wrote in news:422eaa65$0$26732
>> $cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:
>>

>>>How do Norton continue to sell software with the amount of problems it
>>>causes? I seen it so many times.....
>>>
>>>"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>news:D NidnSKr3vlDHLPfRVn-3Q@rogers.com...

>> like

>> bad

>> I guess I'm lucky - I have zero problems with my Norton Products....

Whew - SystemWorks is one I wouldn't stand behind.... What a resource
hog...However, it does solve some issues. I guess when I think of
"Norton", I just think of 'Anti-Virus' and recently "Internet Security"

I'll say this though - Norton Ghost was the ONLY program capable of truly
cloning an XP drive and moving it onto a bigger drive.... Big props for
that...
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 10, 2005 1:23:57 AM

The Chris wrote:

> Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in news:422F569F.3040708
> @neo.rr.com:
>
>> I also have zero problems with my Norton products and continue to
>> install and recommend Systemworks (Norton Utilities & Antivirus).
>>
>> I do, however, think that as a general rule Symantec tends to buy
>> products, neglect them and "milk" them for cash flow. I really use and
>> need WinFax, but it hasn't been updated in about 4 years (since before
>> XP came out) and there are lot of problems with it in a modern XP
> system.
>>

>> The Chris wrote:
>>
>>> "Lester Piglet" <lesross@hotmail.com> wrote in news:422eaa65$0$26732
>>> $cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:

>>> like

>>> bad

>>> I guess I'm lucky - I have zero problems with my Norton Products....
>>

> Whew - SystemWorks is one I wouldn't stand behind.... What a resource
> hog...However, it does solve some issues. I guess when I think of
> "Norton", I just think of 'Anti-Virus' and recently "Internet Security"
>
> I'll say this though - Norton Ghost was the ONLY program capable of truly
> cloning an XP drive and moving it onto a bigger drive.... Big props for
> that...

Are you referring to Ghost 8 or to Drive Image 7, which is now called "Ghost
9"?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 10, 2005 6:12:28 AM

SystemWorks used to be a hog if you did the default installation. It
worked well if you installed it so that it was present, but so that
NOTHING except AV was actually runnning at start-up by default.
However, about 2 years ago they "came to their senses" and changed it so
that this is now nearly the default installation. If it's been a few
years since you looked at it, it's a very different product now than it
used to be, back in the days when things liken "Norton Crashguard"
caused as many problems as they fixed. Even [especially] if you use the
default installation.

*************

> Whew - SystemWorks is one I wouldn't stand behind.... What a resource
> hog...However, it does solve some issues. I guess when I think of
> "Norton", I just think of 'Anti-Virus' and recently "Internet Security"
>
> I'll say this though - Norton Ghost was the ONLY program capable of truly
> cloning an XP drive and moving it onto a bigger drive.... Big props for
> that...
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 10, 2005 3:52:12 PM

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in
news:D 0nv8h21kup@news3.newsguy.com:

> The Chris wrote:
>
>> Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in
>> news:422F569F.3040708 @neo.rr.com:
>>
>>> I also have zero problems with my Norton products and continue to
>>> install and recommend Systemworks (Norton Utilities & Antivirus).
>>>
>>> I do, however, think that as a general rule Symantec tends to buy
>>> products, neglect them and "milk" them for cash flow. I really use
>>> and need WinFax, but it hasn't been updated in about 4 years (since
>>> before XP came out) and there are lot of problems with it in a
>>> modern XP
>> system.

>> Whew - SystemWorks is one I wouldn't stand behind.... What a resource
>> hog...However, it does solve some issues. I guess when I think of
>> "Norton", I just think of 'Anti-Virus' and recently "Internet
>> Security"
>>
>> I'll say this though - Norton Ghost was the ONLY program capable of
>> truly cloning an XP drive and moving it onto a bigger drive.... Big
>> props for that...
>
> Are you referring to Ghost 8 or to Drive Image 7, which is now called
> "Ghost 9"?

Don't know - will have to check - thought it was called 'Ghost 2004'..
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 10, 2005 4:48:03 PM

thanks! that's a good constructive response.

I uninstalled NAV because it was the trial version. I did have 2
trojans- byteverify and adwaheck. I think your description of NAV
locking the file makes the most sense. I can't locate the original XP
disk that came with the laptop, but have the original drivers disk
called "xp resource disk" by Dell and that didn't help the issue.

I will try safe mode first.

thanks,

Don
March 10, 2005 6:48:38 PM

It sounds like your video driver was infected by a virus and NAV has denied
access to the file to prevent the virus from spreading. This would also
prevent you from reinstalling the driver over the top of the old driver
because you need access to all of the files to update the driver. Have you
tried to reinstall the video driver in safe mode? Do you know what file you
are being denied access to and have you tried to delete it in safe mode? In
fact try uninstalling all of the ATI driver files in safe mode by running
driver cleaner (I forget the name of this program but people on this
newsgroup are familiar with it) and then install the latest drivers from ATI
in safe mode. If you have a NAV boot CD, boot using that and run NAV. That
will clean everything up very nicely.

JK

<bbcrock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After running norton antivirus, my video driver was disabled. When I
> tried to reinstall I got an "Access Denied" error. has anyone dealt
> with this and how did you get passed this error? I'm seeing really bad
> scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
> pronto.
>
> Don

March 11, 2005 11:28:26 PM

Trend Micro also has an online antivirus check, and I think Symantec has one
too. You can run that online and it does a very nice job of checking your
machine. With NAV no longer installed, and it's directory deleted, you
should now have access to the problem file and the online virus check should
find it and delete it. Then you can install the latest ATI drivers.

JK

> thanks! that's a good constructive response.
>
> I uninstalled NAV because it was the trial version. I did have 2
> trojans- byteverify and adwaheck. I think your description of NAV
> locking the file makes the most sense. I can't locate the original XP
> disk that came with the laptop, but have the original drivers disk
> called "xp resource disk" by Dell and that didn't help the issue.
>
> I will try safe mode first.
>
> thanks,
>
> Don

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 17, 2005 10:28:37 AM

no, it's definitely still locked and the first level Dell technicians
are still stumped.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 17, 2005 9:07:41 PM

bbcrock@hotmail.com wrote:

>no, it's definitely still locked and the first level Dell technicians
>are still stumped.

Try http://www.drivercleaner.net/dc.htm

Dennis
!