win xp - can't install ati video drivers - access denied

After running norton antivirus, my video driver was disabled. When I
tried to reinstall I got an "Access Denied" error. has anyone dealt
with this and how did you get passed this error? I'm seeing really bad
scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
pronto.

Don
16 answers Last reply
More about install video drivers access denied

    Yes, get rid of Norton Antivirus and use something less intrusive, like
    AntiVir.

    <bbcrock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > After running norton antivirus, my video driver was disabled. When I
    > tried to reinstall I got an "Access Denied" error. has anyone dealt
    > with this and how did you get passed this error? I'm seeing really bad
    > scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
    > pronto.
    >
    > Don

    How do Norton continue to sell software with the amount of problems it
    causes? I seen it so many times.....

    > Yes, get rid of Norton Antivirus and use something less intrusive, like
    > AntiVir.

    > <bbcrock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> After running norton antivirus, my video driver was disabled. When I
    >> tried to reinstall I got an "Access Denied" error. has anyone dealt
    >> with this and how did you get passed this error? I'm seeing really bad
    >> scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
    >> pronto.
    >>
    >> Don

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 07:48:53 -0000, "Lester Piglet"
    <lesross@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >How do Norton continue to sell software with the amount of problems it
    >causes? I seen it so many times.....

    I haven't touched any of their products since I used a "disk
    optimisation" program on a Windows 95 machine years ago. It optimised
    it by corrupting *every* .EXE and .COM file on the disk. The newsgroup
    messages I regularly see with problems related to their products don't
    make me want to try them again.

    Lester Piglet wrote:

    > How do Norton continue to sell software with the amount of problems it
    > causes? I seen it so many times.....

    Same way Microsoft does. He with the biggest ad budget wins.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    bbcrock@hotmail.com wrote in news:1110339961.563504.313470
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > After running norton antivirus, my video driver was disabled. When I
    > tried to reinstall I got an "Access Denied" error. has anyone dealt
    > with this and how did you get passed this error? I'm seeing really bad
    > scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
    > pronto.
    >
    > Don

    I wouldn't get rid of Norton - any access denied error is a question of
    rights. Are you logged in as an Administrator, or a use with Administrator
    privlidges?? That should take care of that.

    "Lester Piglet" <lesross@hotmail.com> wrote in news:422eaa65$0$26732
    $cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:

    > How do Norton continue to sell software with the amount of problems it
    > causes? I seen it so many times.....
    >
    > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, get rid of Norton Antivirus and use something less intrusive,
    like
    >> AntiVir.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
    >> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
    >> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
    >>

    >> <bbcrock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> After running norton antivirus, my video driver was disabled. When I
    >>> tried to reinstall I got an "Access Denied" error. has anyone dealt
    >>> with this and how did you get passed this error? I'm seeing really
    bad
    >>> scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
    >>> pronto.
    >>>
    >>> Don

    I guess I'm lucky - I have zero problems with my Norton Products....

    I also have zero problems with my Norton products and continue to
    install and recommend Systemworks (Norton Utilities & Antivirus).

    I do, however, think that as a general rule Symantec tends to buy
    products, neglect them and "milk" them for cash flow. I really use and
    need WinFax, but it hasn't been updated in about 4 years (since before
    XP came out) and there are lot of problems with it in a modern XP system.

    Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in news:422F569F.3040708
    @neo.rr.com:

    > I also have zero problems with my Norton products and continue to
    > install and recommend Systemworks (Norton Utilities & Antivirus).
    >
    > I do, however, think that as a general rule Symantec tends to buy
    > products, neglect them and "milk" them for cash flow. I really use and
    > need WinFax, but it hasn't been updated in about 4 years (since before
    > XP came out) and there are lot of problems with it in a modern XP
    system.

    > The Chris wrote:
    >
    >> "Lester Piglet" <lesross@hotmail.com> wrote in news:422eaa65$0$26732
    >> $cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:
    >>

    >>>How do Norton continue to sell software with the amount of problems it
    >>>causes? I seen it so many times.....
    >>>
    >>>"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >> like

    >> bad

    >> I guess I'm lucky - I have zero problems with my Norton Products....

    Whew - SystemWorks is one I wouldn't stand behind.... What a resource
    hog...However, it does solve some issues. I guess when I think of
    "Norton", I just think of 'Anti-Virus' and recently "Internet Security"

    I'll say this though - Norton Ghost was the ONLY program capable of truly
    cloning an XP drive and moving it onto a bigger drive.... Big props for
    that...

    The Chris wrote:

    > Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in news:422F569F.3040708
    > @neo.rr.com:
    >
    >> I also have zero problems with my Norton products and continue to
    >> install and recommend Systemworks (Norton Utilities & Antivirus).
    >>
    >> I do, however, think that as a general rule Symantec tends to buy
    >> products, neglect them and "milk" them for cash flow. I really use and
    >> need WinFax, but it hasn't been updated in about 4 years (since before
    >> XP came out) and there are lot of problems with it in a modern XP
    > system.
    >>

    >> The Chris wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Lester Piglet" <lesross@hotmail.com> wrote in news:422eaa65$0$26732
    >>> $cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:

    >>> like

    >>> bad

    >>> I guess I'm lucky - I have zero problems with my Norton Products....
    >>

    > Whew - SystemWorks is one I wouldn't stand behind.... What a resource
    > hog...However, it does solve some issues. I guess when I think of
    > "Norton", I just think of 'Anti-Virus' and recently "Internet Security"
    >
    > I'll say this though - Norton Ghost was the ONLY program capable of truly
    > cloning an XP drive and moving it onto a bigger drive.... Big props for
    > that...

    Are you referring to Ghost 8 or to Drive Image 7, which is now called "Ghost
    9"?

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    SystemWorks used to be a hog if you did the default installation. It
    worked well if you installed it so that it was present, but so that
    NOTHING except AV was actually runnning at start-up by default.
    However, about 2 years ago they "came to their senses" and changed it so
    that this is now nearly the default installation. If it's been a few
    years since you looked at it, it's a very different product now than it
    used to be, back in the days when things liken "Norton Crashguard"
    caused as many problems as they fixed. Even [especially] if you use the
    default installation.

    *************

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in

    > The Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in
    >> news:422F569F.3040708 @neo.rr.com:
    >>
    >>> I also have zero problems with my Norton products and continue to
    >>> install and recommend Systemworks (Norton Utilities & Antivirus).
    >>>
    >>> I do, however, think that as a general rule Symantec tends to buy
    >>> products, neglect them and "milk" them for cash flow. I really use
    >>> and need WinFax, but it hasn't been updated in about 4 years (since
    >>> before XP came out) and there are lot of problems with it in a
    >>> modern XP
    >> system.

    >> Whew - SystemWorks is one I wouldn't stand behind.... What a resource
    >> hog...However, it does solve some issues. I guess when I think of
    >> "Norton", I just think of 'Anti-Virus' and recently "Internet
    >> Security"
    >>
    >> I'll say this though - Norton Ghost was the ONLY program capable of
    >> truly cloning an XP drive and moving it onto a bigger drive.... Big
    >> props for that...
    >
    > Are you referring to Ghost 8 or to Drive Image 7, which is now called
    > "Ghost 9"?

    Don't know - will have to check - thought it was called 'Ghost 2004'..

    thanks! that's a good constructive response.

    I uninstalled NAV because it was the trial version. I did have 2
    trojans- byteverify and adwaheck. I think your description of NAV
    locking the file makes the most sense. I can't locate the original XP
    disk that came with the laptop, but have the original drivers disk
    called "xp resource disk" by Dell and that didn't help the issue.

    I will try safe mode first.

    thanks,

    Don

    It sounds like your video driver was infected by a virus and NAV has denied
    access to the file to prevent the virus from spreading. This would also
    prevent you from reinstalling the driver over the top of the old driver
    because you need access to all of the files to update the driver. Have you
    tried to reinstall the video driver in safe mode? Do you know what file you
    are being denied access to and have you tried to delete it in safe mode? In
    fact try uninstalling all of the ATI driver files in safe mode by running
    driver cleaner (I forget the name of this program but people on this
    newsgroup are familiar with it) and then install the latest drivers from ATI
    in safe mode. If you have a NAV boot CD, boot using that and run NAV. That
    will clean everything up very nicely.

    JK

    <bbcrock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > After running norton antivirus, my video driver was disabled. When I
    > tried to reinstall I got an "Access Denied" error. has anyone dealt
    > with this and how did you get passed this error? I'm seeing really bad
    > scrolling when reading documents and I need to reinstall the driver
    > pronto.
    >
    > Don

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Trend Micro also has an online antivirus check, and I think Symantec has one
    too. You can run that online and it does a very nice job of checking your
    machine. With NAV no longer installed, and it's directory deleted, you
    should now have access to the problem file and the online virus check should
    find it and delete it. Then you can install the latest ATI drivers.

    JK

    > thanks! that's a good constructive response.
    >
    > I uninstalled NAV because it was the trial version. I did have 2
    > trojans- byteverify and adwaheck. I think your description of NAV
    > locking the file makes the most sense. I can't locate the original XP
    > disk that came with the laptop, but have the original drivers disk
    > called "xp resource disk" by Dell and that didn't help the issue.
    >
    > I will try safe mode first.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Don

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    no, it's definitely still locked and the first level Dell technicians
    are still stumped.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    bbcrock@hotmail.com wrote:

    >no, it's definitely still locked and the first level Dell technicians
    >are still stumped.

    Try http://www.drivercleaner.net/dc.htm

    Dennis

Radeon Drivers ATI Video Windows XP Graphics