XP Pro - Missing "Security" tab? Password protect folders?

alex

I wanted to explore the "security" tab under a folder's "properties". There
was no tab. How do I get it back?

Also, how can I password protect certain folders? I seems like the only 2
options are to encrypt or to compress.

Alex

How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

One cannot password-protect a folder in Windows XP.
For a more secure method, see the following:

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
and folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Alex" <nobody@rr.com> wrote in message
> Also, how can I password protect certain folders?

You may want to take a look at our software Folder Guard that lets you
(among other things) password protect and/or completely hide files and
folders:

http://www.winability.com/folderguard/

http://www.winability.com/folderguard/users-guide_password-protection.htm

--
HTH

Andrei Belogortseff
WinAbility(r) Software Corp. [ http://www.winability.com/ ]
"Useful Windows Utilities and Security Software"

alex

Thanks for the quick reply, Carey. I'll give these links a try.

Alex