XP Pro - Missing "Security" tab? Password protect folders?

I wanted to explore the "security" tab under a folder's "properties". There
was no tab. How do I get it back?

Also, how can I password protect certain folders? I seems like the only 2
options are to encrypt or to compress.

Alex
3 answers Last reply
More about missing security password protect folders

    How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

    One cannot password-protect a folder in Windows XP.
    For a more secure method, see the following:

    HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
    and folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Alex" <nobody@rr.com> wrote in message
    > Also, how can I password protect certain folders?

    You may want to take a look at our software Folder Guard that lets you
    (among other things) password protect and/or completely hide files and
    folders:

    http://www.winability.com/folderguard/

    http://www.winability.com/folderguard/users-guide_password-protection.htm

    --
    HTH

    Andrei Belogortseff
    WinAbility(r) Software Corp. [ http://www.winability.com/ ]
    "Useful Windows Utilities and Security Software"

    Thanks for the quick reply, Carey. I'll give these links a try.

    Alex

    > How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties?
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm
    >
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
    >
    > One cannot password-protect a folder in Windows XP.
    > For a more secure method, see the following:
    >
    > HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399
    >
    > You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286
    >
    > How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
    > and folders in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Alex" wrote:
    >
    > | I wanted to explore the "security" tab under a folder's "properties".
    > There
    > | was no tab. How do I get it back?
    > |
    > | Also, how can I password protect certain folders? I seems like the only
    > 2
    > | options are to encrypt or to compress.
    > |
    > | Alex

Security Microsoft Windows XP