Problem w Explorer.exe

Winodws xP sp2

I had alot of spy-ware on a computer and ran MS Spy-ware removal tool and
now my Explorer.exe will not come up, no desktop no icons on noting. I can
press crtl->Alt->delete and bring up task manager, that is it.

I have ran sfc/scanow
Reinstalled and repair Winodws

Once you have Task Manager open, go to File, New Task and enter REGEDIT.EXE Go to:

Look in the right pane for the Shell value. It should read "Explorer.exe", without the quotes. If it doesn't, double click the Shell value and modify it so that it's correct.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"guytrey" <guytrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AFD389F-1D14-46B4-96F3-5C2BC286E465@microsoft.com...
> Winodws xP sp2
>
> I had alot of spy-ware on a computer and ran MS Spy-ware removal tool and
> now my Explorer.exe will not come up, no desktop no icons on noting. I can
> press crtl->Alt->delete and bring up task manager, that is it.
>
> I have ran sfc/scanow
> Reinstalled and repair Winodws

I look the shell value and it is OK

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Once you have Task Manager open, go to File, New Task and enter REGEDIT.EXE Go to:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> Look in the right pane for the Shell value. It should read "Explorer.exe", without the quotes. If it doesn't, double click the Shell value and modify it so that it's correct.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "guytrey" <guytrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AFD389F-1D14-46B4-96F3-5C2BC286E465@microsoft.com...
> > Winodws xP sp2
> >
> > I had alot of spy-ware on a computer and ran MS Spy-ware removal tool and
> > now my Explorer.exe will not come up, no desktop no icons on noting. I can
> > press crtl->Alt->delete and bring up task manager, that is it.
> >
> > I have ran sfc/scanow
> > Reinstalled and repair Winodws

Run Internet Explorer from Task Manager (File, New Task). It should be in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. Download these two fixes.

Restore Taskbar and Start Menu
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/nodesktop.reg

Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs

Also, ensure your antivirus software is up to date and rescan your system, preferably from Safe Mode.

"guytrey" <guytrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1559C17A-DE69-473F-A67F-F5B9ECF6E8D2@microsoft.com...
>I look the shell value and it is OK
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Once you have Task Manager open, go to File, New Task and enter REGEDIT.EXE Go to:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>>
>> Look in the right pane for the Shell value. It should read "Explorer.exe", without the quotes. If it doesn't, double click the Shell value and modify it so that it's correct.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "guytrey" <guytrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AFD389F-1D14-46B4-96F3-5C2BC286E465@microsoft.com...
>> > Winodws xP sp2
>> >
>> > I had alot of spy-ware on a computer and ran MS Spy-ware removal tool and
>> > now my Explorer.exe will not come up, no desktop no icons on noting. I can
>> > press crtl->Alt->delete and bring up task manager, that is it.
>> >
>> > I have ran sfc/scanow
>> > Reinstalled and repair Winodws

I tried running both files and noting happen

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Run Internet Explorer from Task Manager (File, New Task). It should be in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. Download these two fixes.
>
> Restore Taskbar and Start Menu
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/nodesktop.reg
>
> Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs
>
> Also, ensure your antivirus software is up to date and rescan your system, preferably from Safe Mode.
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "guytrey" <guytrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1559C17A-DE69-473F-A67F-F5B9ECF6E8D2@microsoft.com...
> >I look the shell value and it is OK
> >
> > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Once you have Task Manager open, go to File, New Task and enter REGEDIT.EXE Go to:
> >>
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> >>
> >> Look in the right pane for the Shell value. It should read "Explorer.exe", without the quotes. If it doesn't, double click the Shell value and modify it so that it's correct.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Is your antivirus software up to date? Have you tried scanning your system in Safe Mode?

"guytrey" <guytrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0302D2E4-230C-495B-8BD0-8EB17FBB9AC1@microsoft.com...
>I tried running both files and noting happen
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Run Internet Explorer from Task Manager (File, New Task). It should be in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. Download these two fixes.
>>
>> Restore Taskbar and Start Menu
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/nodesktop.reg
>>
>> Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs
>>
>> Also, ensure your antivirus software is up to date and rescan your system, preferably from Safe Mode.
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "guytrey" <guytrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1559C17A-DE69-473F-A67F-F5B9ECF6E8D2@microsoft.com...
>> >I look the shell value and it is OK

I ran the following anti-virus programs ( please note not all at the same
time)
McAfee Command Line Scanner Utility
Stinger
Trend Mico Sysclean Utility
they all came up with trojans but no virus.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Is your antivirus software up to date? Have you tried scanning your system in Safe Mode?

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "guytrey" <guytrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0302D2E4-230C-495B-8BD0-8EB17FBB9AC1@microsoft.com...
> >I tried running both files and noting happen
> >
> > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Run Internet Explorer from Task Manager (File, New Task). It should be in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. Download these two fixes.
> >>
> >> Restore Taskbar and Start Menu
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/nodesktop.reg
> >>
> >> Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs
> >>
> >> Also, ensure your antivirus software is up to date and rescan your system, preferably from Safe Mode.
> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

A rose by any other name................... You need to ensure that your system is clean of all malware, whether it be a virus, trojan, spyware or other harmful variation.

"guytrey" <guytrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43780564-0F75-48F9-9F2E-58F48841EE67@microsoft.com...
>I ran the following anti-virus programs ( please note not all at the same
> time)
> McAfee Command Line Scanner Utility
> Stinger
> Trend Mico Sysclean Utility
> they all came up with trojans but no virus.
>

> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Is your antivirus software up to date? Have you tried scanning your system in Safe Mode?
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "guytrey" <guytrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0302D2E4-230C-495B-8BD0-8EB17FBB9AC1@microsoft.com...
>> >I tried running both files and noting happen

Thanks for you help, I guest it is to late fo me, I will slave the drive and
transfer the data. I guest there is noting else I can do .

Guy Stewart