A note about fixing game stuttering I posted about a while..

Regarding this thread I started a while back:
http://tinyurl.com/3les9

Just to note that in the following games on my system:

half life 2
far cry
doom 3 demo (in particular)

Upgrading from 512Mb to 1Gb of RAM took away any annoying stuttering at
certain points (note that my HL2 didn't have the infamous stutter
problem as I got my copy after they had released the fixes). The change
was really amazing in the doom3 demo.

System specs:
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (1MB cache, 800FSB) with HT (Prescott)
MSI 865PE NEO-2 P MS-6728 Ver 2 (No D-bracket) 3.50 AMI BIOS
Crucial 2x512Mb PC3200 (DDR400) DIMMS (1Gb)
256 Mb ABIT 9600XT (Catalyst 5.1)
FSP Group FSP300-60PN 300W +3.3@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@18A, +5Vsb@2.0A,
-5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A
Western Digital 160GB 7200rpm hard drive with 8MB buffer
Creative Audigy 2 ZS with Creative Inspire P580 speakers (5.1 surround)
Sony DVD-ROM drive (16x)
Sony DW-D22A Dual-Layer IDE DVD+/-RW (black)
Speedtouch router via onboard Realtek lan port
Windows XP Pro SP2
memtest86 1.27: 7.5 hour all tests no errors
Motherboard Monitor Voltages: +12V@12.77, +5V@5.05, +3.3V@3.36
3DMark2001: 13200, 3DMark2003: 3800, 3DMark2005: 1600

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message
> Regarding this thread I started a while back:
> http://tinyurl.com/3les9
>

> Just to note that in the following games on my system:
>
> half life 2
> far cry
> doom 3 demo (in particular)
>
> Upgrading from 512Mb to 1Gb of RAM took away any annoying stuttering at
> certain points

Games like those really require 1024Mb RAM to be hiccup free. If you're
stuck with 512Mb, the best approach is to kill all unnecessary background
services and memory resident applets. Most people's XP boxes are using
275-300Mb of the available RAM just sitting there. Doesn't leave much for
the game without mega swapfile access.

Mike

Splendid

Yes, far cry is what prompted me to go to 1gig ram, stopped the stutter.

mike

"ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message
> Regarding this thread I started a while back:
> http://tinyurl.com/3les9
>

> Just to note that in the following games on my system:
>
> half life 2
> far cry
> doom 3 demo (in particular)
>
> Upgrading from 512Mb to 1Gb of RAM took away any annoying stuttering at
> certain points (note that my HL2 didn't have the infamous stutter problem
> as I got my copy after they had released the fixes). The change was really
> amazing in the doom3 demo.
>
> System specs:
> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (1MB cache, 800FSB) with HT (Prescott)
> MSI 865PE NEO-2 P MS-6728 Ver 2 (No D-bracket) 3.50 AMI BIOS
> Crucial 2x512Mb PC3200 (DDR400) DIMMS (1Gb)
> 256 Mb ABIT 9600XT (Catalyst 5.1)
> FSP Group FSP300-60PN 300W +3.3@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@18A,
> +5Vsb@2.0A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A
> Western Digital 160GB 7200rpm hard drive with 8MB buffer
> Creative Audigy 2 ZS with Creative Inspire P580 speakers (5.1 surround)
> Sony DVD-ROM drive (16x)
> Sony DW-D22A Dual-Layer IDE DVD+/-RW (black)
> Speedtouch router via onboard Realtek lan port
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> memtest86 1.27: 7.5 hour all tests no errors
> Motherboard Monitor Voltages: +12V@12.77, +5V@5.05, +3.3V@3.36
> 3DMark2001: 13200, 3DMark2003: 3800, 3DMark2005: 1600

"ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message
> Regarding this thread I started a while back:
> http://tinyurl.com/3les9
>

> Just to note that in the following games on my system:
>
> half life 2
> far cry
> doom 3 demo (in particular)
>
> Upgrading from 512Mb to 1Gb of RAM took away any annoying stuttering at
> certain points (note that my HL2 didn't have the infamous stutter problem
> as I got my copy after they had released the fixes). The change was really
> amazing in the doom3 demo.
>
> System specs:

[snipped]

Isn't it good that there are games that push our systems, rather than
something like Deus Ex 2 designed with the XBox poxy 64meg limit?

--
Derek

>> Regarding this thread I started a while back:
>> http://tinyurl.com/3les9
>>

>> Just to note that in the following games on my system:
>>
>> half life 2
>> far cry
>> doom 3 demo (in particular)
>>
>> Upgrading from 512Mb to 1Gb of RAM took away any annoying stuttering at
>> certain points (note that my HL2 didn't have the infamous stutter problem
>> as I got my copy after they had released the fixes). The change was really
>> amazing in the doom3 demo.

In my case I already had the one gig of ram however there is a dvd burner
as well as a cdrws drive in that box.

I had two game cds. Thief DS, and Doom 3 (full retail legal versions).

When I would play Thief DS it would stutter.

Removing the other cd stopped the stutter.

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

"ofn01" <netusr@internet.not> wrote in message
> Regarding this thread I started a while back:
> http://tinyurl.com/3les9
>

> Just to note that in the following games on my system:
>
> half life 2
> far cry
> doom 3 demo (in particular)
>
> Upgrading from 512Mb to 1Gb of RAM took away any annoying stuttering at
> certain points (note that my HL2 didn't have the infamous stutter problem
> as I got my copy after they had released the fixes). The change was really
> amazing in the doom3 demo.

in most cases the HD access causes that particular stuttering. 1 gig ram
gives u around 700Mb free space. This is not much since Doom3 pops a
warning, when switching to ultra-high detail, that texture alone will be
500MB. In Far Cry I note a slight problem when reloading same level too
often (due to instant death) it can result in a hefty stuttering in this
level. However, exiting the game and starting over fixed the problem.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0510-0, 08/03/2005
Tested on: 10/03/2005 8:49:33 AM