reformatting compact flash cards.

April 29, 2004 7:09:51 PM

Possibly off topic- if so apologies, but my pocketpc running pocket windows
2003 is having problems with one of my compact flash cards (integralmemory
512mb). My pocketpc is telling me that there are no files on the card, but
that 341.62 megs of it are being used. Ive tried to look at it on my Xp
desktop using activesynch and explore device, but again its showing nothing
on the disk, not even any hidden files or system files. I suspect that its
been corrupted or interupted when ive been downloading something to it, and
i cant erase it and get the space back. Does anyone know how i can reformat
the card to reclaim the lost space. Ive tried using flash format, but it
will only work on sd cards integral to the ipaq. I dont have a memory card
reader for my pc so that option is out, and i dont really want to have to
buy one as i dont really need it.

specs,
Ipaq 3850
TDK Bluepak expansion
512mb Integralmemory compactflash card
PocketPc version 4.20.1081 (Build 13100).

thanks.

grazza
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 9:30:01 PM

You can get desktop readers that connect to your PC and format that way- you
can even run chkdsk to look for damaged files. They aren't expensive.
You can also format in most digital cameras that use CF cards.
There are also format utilities for use in the PPC. Resco Explorer can do
this- there are probably others, try a search engine.

"grazzc" <grazzc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Possibly off topic- if so apologies, but my pocketpc running pocket
windows
> 2003 is having problems with one of my compact flash cards (integralmemory
> 512mb). My pocketpc is telling me that there are no files on the card, but
> that 341.62 megs of it are being used. Ive tried to look at it on my Xp
> desktop using activesynch and explore device, but again its showing
nothing
> on the disk, not even any hidden files or system files. I suspect that its
> been corrupted or interupted when ive been downloading something to it,
and
> i cant erase it and get the space back. Does anyone know how i can
reformat
> the card to reclaim the lost space. Ive tried using flash format, but it
> will only work on sd cards integral to the ipaq. I dont have a memory card
> reader for my pc so that option is out, and i dont really want to have to
> buy one as i dont really need it.
>
> specs,
> Ipaq 3850
> TDK Bluepak expansion
> 512mb Integralmemory compactflash card
> PocketPc version 4.20.1081 (Build 13100).
>
> thanks.
>
> grazza

Anonymous
April 29, 2004 9:42:11 PM

There was a post just 3 days ago about formatting utilities- check your
older messages.

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> You can get desktop readers that connect to your PC and format that way-
you
> can even run chkdsk to look for damaged files. They aren't expensive.
> You can also format in most digital cameras that use CF cards.
> There are also format utilities for use in the PPC. Resco Explorer can do
> this- there are probably others, try a search engine.
>

> "grazzc" <grazzc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Possibly off topic- if so apologies, but my pocketpc running pocket
> windows
> > 2003 is having problems with one of my compact flash cards
(integralmemory
> > 512mb). My pocketpc is telling me that there are no files on the card,
but
> > that 341.62 megs of it are being used. Ive tried to look at it on my Xp
> > desktop using activesynch and explore device, but again its showing
> nothing
> > on the disk, not even any hidden files or system files. I suspect that
its
> > been corrupted or interupted when ive been downloading something to it,
> and
> > i cant erase it and get the space back. Does anyone know how i can
> reformat
> > the card to reclaim the lost space. Ive tried using flash format, but it
> > will only work on sd cards integral to the ipaq. I dont have a memory
card
> > reader for my pc so that option is out, and i dont really want to have
> > buy one as i dont really need it.
> >
> > specs,
> > Ipaq 3850
> > TDK Bluepak expansion
> > 512mb Integralmemory compactflash card
> > PocketPc version 4.20.1081 (Build 13100).
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > grazza

April 30, 2004 1:01:08 AM

Take the card to Wal-mart's photo area. Most of the stores have a computer
set up to dump your digital images to so they can over charge you to
"develop" them. I thought of this as a newbie and my 1945 did not want to
recognize my SD card, at least it narrowed the search for my problem and
saved me the money of buying the card reader.
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 11:52:41 AM

grazzc wrote:
> Possibly off topic- if so apologies, but my pocketpc running pocket
> windows 2003 is having problems with one of my compact flash cards
> (integralmemory 512mb). My pocketpc is telling me that there are no
> files on the card, but that 341.62 megs of it are being used. Ive
> tried to look at it on my Xp desktop using activesynch and explore
> device, but again its showing nothing on the disk, not even any
> hidden files or system files. I suspect that its been corrupted or
> interupted when ive been downloading something to it, and i cant
> erase it and get the space back. Does anyone know how i can reformat
> the card to reclaim the lost space. Ive tried using flash format, but
> it will only work on sd cards integral to the ipaq. I dont have a
> memory card reader for my pc so that option is out, and i dont really
> want to have to buy one as i dont really need it.
[SNIP]

Softwinter's Storage Tools is a PPC utility that will scan, defrag and
format storage cards, get it on our downloads page at
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Download...
--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com

There is probably little, if any, benefit in defragmenting solid state
memory. It adds a possible risk of failure during movement of files.

Remember that memory cards are solid state- it takes the same time to access
any sector, but with hard disks you have the time taken for head movement
over the disk platters so can get decent speed improvements. A slight
improvement may be possible where files are badly fragmented compared to
contiguous files as the index does not need to be read for each block, but
this will not really be noticeable to the user in the way disk fragmentation
may be. Disk access is in milliseconds, in memory it will be measured in
nanoseconds- orders of magnitude faster.

If you do it, fine, but remember you may see no benefit and there is the
potential for damaged data.
It is possible to defragment the cards using a Windows utility and a card
reader if you want to do it.

"Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld" <darren@pocketgpsworld.invalid> wrote in
message news:uELO%23%23nLEHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> grazzc wrote:
> > Possibly off topic- if so apologies, but my pocketpc running pocket
> > windows 2003 is having problems with one of my compact flash cards
> > (integralmemory 512mb). My pocketpc is telling me that there are no
> > files on the card, but that 341.62 megs of it are being used. Ive
> > tried to look at it on my Xp desktop using activesynch and explore
> > device, but again its showing nothing on the disk, not even any
> > hidden files or system files. I suspect that its been corrupted or
> > interupted when ive been downloading something to it, and i cant
> > erase it and get the space back. Does anyone know how i can reformat
> > the card to reclaim the lost space. Ive tried using flash format, but
> > it will only work on sd cards integral to the ipaq. I dont have a
> > memory card reader for my pc so that option is out, and i dont really
> > want to have to buy one as i dont really need it.
> [SNIP]
>
> Softwinter's Storage Tools is a PPC utility that will scan, defrag and
> format storage cards, get it on our downloads page at

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Download...
> --
> Darren Griffin
> Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
> The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums

Anonymous
April 30, 2004 5:53:42 PM

Sandisk along with another company (LC Tech) have a very handy program
called RescuePro that will read a card in almost any shape and tell you what
is wrong. Also lets you un-delete files: Info Below
http://www.sandisk.com/retail_rescuePRO.html

You can download a version of the program that will look at your card and do
everything the full one does, except the free one does not fix anything, but
at least in using it, you can see what is wrong. Download for it is here,
Click the large Icon near the bottom and left that says "LC Tech, Download
now"
http://www.lc-tech.com/rescuepro.htm

Hope this helps !

--