Need help with security

I am a beginner in the field of computer security. I had my two
computers networked to a router by a someone recommended by a friend so
that I can keep my files and information private if anyone needed to
get online. How do I make sure that;

1. My network is set up completely. Nothing was left open so that the
installer can get into my network.

2. HOw do I set it up where I can share files/printer with the other
computer but restrict access to certain folders.

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about need security

    In news:1119597894.363850.287700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
    Will_in_SF <willinsf@gmail.com> had this to say:

    > 1. My network is set up completely. Nothing was left open so that the
    > installer can get into my network.

    Use a firewall. Either the Windows Firewall provided with Service Pack 2 or
    a third party firewall product such as this:

    www.agnitum.com (Or a firewall of your choice though your router may offer
    some additional protection depending on the brand. That information will be
    contained in the product manual.) You can check your configurations at a
    number of sites. Here's one:

    Security Scan - Sygate Online Services (sos):
    http://scan.sygatetech.com/

    > 2. HOw do I set it up where I can share files/printer with the other
    > computer but restrict access to certain folders.

    By only allowing file and print sharing to be done on addresses in the
    correct address range. Using a product such as Outpost Firewall Pro you'd be
    setting your LAN (local area network) into the trusted zone. It would, by
    default, prevent unauthorized access to your files and folders from IP
    addresses not belonging to the proper range.

    No firewall, not even OP, will be configured for your specific needs right
    out of the box. Using this one as an example you'd probably want to use it
    in it's "Rules Mode" for a while until you had pretty much setup the
    application to block based on your specific needs. After that you could
    simply place it in the "Block Most" mode and generally pretty much forget
    that it's running but all good third party firewalls will need to be
    configured based on your needs. For that specific product there's a forum:
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com which is pretty handy to have around.
    ..
    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes