Script Errors Running In Group Policy Edit

Hi all,

I just went into GPedit to go over some changes and I am continuously
getting an IE Script Error for ecery click I make. The following is what I am
receiving:

res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm

It will not let me do a thing. I am running XP Pro SP2 . I am not on a LAN,
this machine is in my home office only, DSL, dedicated gateway with NAT
firewall and software firewall. Also have several spywares that I scan with.

Thanks!
9 answers Last reply
More about script errors running group policy edit

    Is that the entire text of the error?

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:DF5B83D1-15E9-4099-A2C2-58353DF1EB54@microsoft.com...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just went into GPedit to go over some changes and I am continuously
    > getting an IE Script Error for ecery click I make. The following is what I am
    > receiving:
    >
    > res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm
    >
    > It will not let me do a thing. I am running XP Pro SP2 . I am not on a LAN,
    > this machine is in my home office only, DSL, dedicated gateway with NAT
    > firewall and software firewall. Also have several spywares that I scan with.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Hi Doug,

    This is the entire text I received on the "Internet Explorer Script Error"
    Message Box. Sorry, there is also the following:
    An error has occurred in the script on this page.

    Line: 30
    Char: 12
    Error: Unspecified error
    Code: 0

    Now, why would I be getting this when I am just opening up Services from
    Admin Tools? I am not accessing this through the net, so I am quite confused.

    Thanks!

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Is that the entire text of the error?

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:DF5B83D1-15E9-4099-A2C2-58353DF1EB54@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I just went into GPedit to go over some changes and I am continuously
    > > getting an IE Script Error for ecery click I make. The following is what I am
    > > receiving:
    > >
    > > res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm
    > >
    > > It will not let me do a thing. I am running XP Pro SP2 . I am not on a LAN,
    > > this machine is in my home office only, DSL, dedicated gateway with NAT
    > > firewall and software firewall. Also have several spywares that I scan with.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    Tim,

    Have you tried Help and Support, by any chance? Does it give a similar error? If so, the following may be applicable to you.

    1) Click Start, Run and enter CMD, then click OK.

    2) Enter NET STOP HELPSVC and press Enter.

    3) Enter CD \WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore and press Enter.

    4) Enter DIR *.CAB and press Enter. Note if any CAB files are found.

    5) Enter CD .. and press Enter.

    If you had any CAB files in the PackageStore Directory continue with Step 6. If not, skip to step 7.

    6) Enter REN PackageStore PackageStoreOld and press Enter.

    7) Enter CD BINARIES and press Enter.

    8) Enter START /W HELPSVC /SVCHOST NETSVCS /REGSERVER /INSTALL and press Enter.

    If the MMC components (Services, GPEDIT, etc.) and Help and Support work, then you can delete the PackageStoreOld folder.

    "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:2369256B-FC14-4C9C-A228-961215A3FFE6@microsoft.com...
    > Hi Doug,
    >
    > This is the entire text I received on the "Internet Explorer Script Error"
    > Message Box. Sorry, there is also the following:
    > An error has occurred in the script on this page.
    >
    > Line: 30
    > Char: 12
    > Error: Unspecified error
    > Code: 0
    >
    > Now, why would I be getting this when I am just opening up Services from
    > Admin Tools? I am not accessing this through the net, so I am quite confused.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Is that the entire text of the error?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:DF5B83D1-15E9-4099-A2C2-58353DF1EB54@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > I just went into GPedit to go over some changes and I am continuously
    >> > getting an IE Script Error for ecery click I make. The following is what I am
    >> > receiving:
    >> >
    >> > res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm
    >> >
    >> > It will not let me do a thing. I am running XP Pro SP2 . I am not on a LAN,
    >> > this machine is in my home office only, DSL, dedicated gateway with NAT
    >> > firewall and software firewall. Also have several spywares that I scan with.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

    Doug,

    No I have not tried that. I will now. My e-mail has been down, sorry for the
    delayed responses.

    Tim

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Tim,
    >
    > Have you tried Help and Support, by any chance? Does it give a similar error? If so, the following may be applicable to you.
    >
    > 1) Click Start, Run and enter CMD, then click OK.
    >
    > 2) Enter NET STOP HELPSVC and press Enter.
    >
    > 3) Enter CD \WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore and press Enter.
    >
    > 4) Enter DIR *.CAB and press Enter. Note if any CAB files are found.
    >
    > 5) Enter CD .. and press Enter.
    >
    > If you had any CAB files in the PackageStore Directory continue with Step 6. If not, skip to step 7.
    >
    > 6) Enter REN PackageStore PackageStoreOld and press Enter.
    >
    > 7) Enter CD BINARIES and press Enter.
    >
    > 8) Enter START /W HELPSVC /SVCHOST NETSVCS /REGSERVER /INSTALL and press Enter.
    >
    > If the MMC components (Services, GPEDIT, etc.) and Help and Support work, then you can delete the PackageStoreOld folder.

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:2369256B-FC14-4C9C-A228-961215A3FFE6@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi Doug,
    > >
    > > This is the entire text I received on the "Internet Explorer Script Error"
    > > Message Box. Sorry, there is also the following:
    > > An error has occurred in the script on this page.
    > >
    > > Line: 30
    > > Char: 12
    > > Error: Unspecified error
    > > Code: 0

    No problem, Tim. A number of users report that this works for them.

    "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:C2DC22DC-422A-498D-A03B-EA4288807CFE@microsoft.com...
    > Doug,
    >
    > No I have not tried that. I will now. My e-mail has been down, sorry for the
    > delayed responses.
    >
    > Tim
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Tim,
    >>
    >> Have you tried Help and Support, by any chance? Does it give a similar error? If so, the following may be applicable to you.
    >>
    >> 1) Click Start, Run and enter CMD, then click OK.
    >>
    >> 2) Enter NET STOP HELPSVC and press Enter.
    >>
    >> 3) Enter CD \WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore and press Enter.
    >>
    >> 4) Enter DIR *.CAB and press Enter. Note if any CAB files are found.
    >>
    >> 5) Enter CD .. and press Enter.
    >>
    >> If you had any CAB files in the PackageStore Directory continue with Step 6. If not, skip to step 7.
    >>
    >> 6) Enter REN PackageStore PackageStoreOld and press Enter.
    >>
    >> 7) Enter CD BINARIES and press Enter.
    >>
    >> 8) Enter START /W HELPSVC /SVCHOST NETSVCS /REGSERVER /INSTALL and press Enter.
    >>
    >> If the MMC components (Services, GPEDIT, etc.) and Help and Support work, then you can delete the PackageStoreOld folder.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:2369256B-FC14-4C9C-A228-961215A3FFE6@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hi Doug,
    >> >
    >> > This is the entire text I received on the "Internet Explorer Script Error"
    >> > Message Box. Sorry, there is also the following:
    >> > ------------------------------------------------------
    >> > An error has occurred in the script on this page.
    >> >
    >> > Line: 30
    >> > Char: 12
    >> > Error: Unspecified error
    >> > Code: 0

    Doug,

    Well, this is as far as it would let me go. I copied this from the cmd window:

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.NORTHGASECURITY>net stop helpsvc
    The Help and Support service is not started.

    **( I already stopped it before I copied & pasted)

    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.NORTHGASECURITY>cd
    \windows\temp\pchealth\helpctr\packagestore

    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>dir *.cab
    Volume in drive C is NGSP 101
    Volume Serial Number is 9C0F-A845

    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore

    File Not Found

    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>dir *.CAB
    Volume in drive C is NGSP 101
    Volume Serial Number is 9C0F-A845

    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore

    File Not Found

    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>

    It says file not found but I see Package_2.cab thru package_8.cab listed &
    instance_Professional_32_1033.cab. (All hidden files) When I look thru
    explorer. This is as far as I went.

    Then there is also CRC_Disk w/no file ext & SkuStore.bin

    While we are in here, my msconfig.exe file is located in pchealth\binaries.
    Is that where it should not be?

    Also, do you know what I need to do to correct this from showing all over
    these pages? >>

    Never used to look like this :o)

    Thanks!

    Hi Tim,

    If the CAB files are hidden, as shown in Explorer, you need to use the /A switch on the DIR command so that they'll show up in the command prompt window

    DIR *.CAB /A

    You can also rename the PackageStore folder from within Explorer, as long as you're showing hidden files/folders. I think the process was written with the assumption that most users don't have hidden files and folders visible, by default.

    And yes, MSCONFIG resides in C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries. This is its normal location.

    "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:B6823751-A7C1-45DC-844D-E92FA7D022AA@microsoft.com...
    > Doug,
    >
    > Well, this is as far as it would let me go. I copied this from the cmd window:
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    > (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.NORTHGASECURITY>net stop helpsvc
    > The Help and Support service is not started.
    >
    > **( I already stopped it before I copied & pasted)
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.NORTHGASECURITY>cd
    > \windows\temp\pchealth\helpctr\packagestore
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>dir *.cab
    > Volume in drive C is NGSP 101
    > Volume Serial Number is 9C0F-A845
    >
    > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore
    >
    > File Not Found
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>dir *.CAB
    > Volume in drive C is NGSP 101
    > Volume Serial Number is 9C0F-A845
    >
    > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore
    >
    > File Not Found
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>
    >

    > It says file not found but I see Package_2.cab thru package_8.cab listed &
    > instance_Professional_32_1033.cab. (All hidden files) When I look thru
    > explorer. This is as far as I went.
    >
    > Then there is also CRC_Disk w/no file ext & SkuStore.bin
    >
    > While we are in here, my msconfig.exe file is located in pchealth\binaries.
    > Is that where it should not be?
    >
    > Also, do you know what I need to do to correct this from showing all over
    > these pages? >>
    >
    > Never used to look like this :o)
    >
    > Thanks!

    Ok, what am I doing wrong? :o) I am not fluent with DOS commands, sorry! I
    have an idea but I don't want to execute the wrong thing. This is what I am
    getting now:

    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>dir *cab/a
    Volume in drive C is NGSP 101
    Volume Serial Number is 9C0F-A845

    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore

    08/04/2004 08:00 AM 2,737,914 instance_Professional_32_1033.cab
    06/05/2005 01:57 AM 727 package_1.cab
    06/05/2005 01:57 AM 19,854 package_2.cab
    06/05/2005 01:57 AM 244,933 package_3.cab
    08/04/2004 08:00 AM 7,068 package_4.cab
    08/04/2004 08:00 AM 68,327 package_5.cab
    08/04/2004 08:00 AM 305,145 package_6.cab
    06/06/2005 06:02 AM 11,347 package_7.cab
    06/06/2005 06:03 AM 14,930 package_8.cab
    9 File(s) 3,410,245 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 7,452,827,648 bytes free

    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>cd
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore

    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>ren packagestore packagestoreold

    PS Doug, do you know why my display in here looks like this?

    gt;> >
    >> > This is the entire text I received on the "Internet Explorer Script Error"
    >> > Message Box. Sorry, there is also the following:
    >> > ------------------------------------------------------
    >> > An error has occurred in the script on this page.
    >> >
    >> > Line: 30
    >> > Char: 12
    >> > Error: Unspecified error
    >> > Code: 0

    You need to execute a CD .. command. That's CD followed by a space and two periods. That takes you back one directory level. Then you can rename the PackageStore folder.

    "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:10B55E63-5B24-464D-AF16-ECB3F0B05656@microsoft.com...
    > Ok, what am I doing wrong? :o) I am not fluent with DOS commands, sorry! I
    > have an idea but I don't want to execute the wrong thing. This is what I am
    > getting now:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>dir *cab/a
    > Volume in drive C is NGSP 101
    > Volume Serial Number is 9C0F-A845
    >
    > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore
    >
    > 08/04/2004 08:00 AM 2,737,914 instance_Professional_32_1033.cab
    > 06/05/2005 01:57 AM 727 package_1.cab
    > 06/05/2005 01:57 AM 19,854 package_2.cab
    > 06/05/2005 01:57 AM 244,933 package_3.cab
    > 08/04/2004 08:00 AM 7,068 package_4.cab
    > 08/04/2004 08:00 AM 68,327 package_5.cab
    > 08/04/2004 08:00 AM 305,145 package_6.cab
    > 06/06/2005 06:02 AM 11,347 package_7.cab
    > 06/06/2005 06:03 AM 14,930 package_8.cab
    > 9 File(s) 3,410,245 bytes
    > 0 Dir(s) 7,452,827,648 bytes free
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>cd
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>ren packagestore packagestoreold
    >

    > PS Doug, do you know why my display in here looks like this?
    >
    > gt;> >

Windows XP