Script Errors Running In Group Policy Edit

June 24, 2005 4:46:03 AM

Hi all,

I just went into GPedit to go over some changes and I am continuously
getting an IE Script Error for ecery click I make. The following is what I am
receiving:

res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm

It will not let me do a thing. I am running XP Pro SP2 . I am not on a LAN,
this machine is in my home office only, DSL, dedicated gateway with NAT
firewall and software firewall. Also have several spywares that I scan with.

Thanks!
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:22:45 AM

Is that the entire text of the error?

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:D F5B83D1-15E9-4099-A2C2-58353DF1EB54@microsoft.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I just went into GPedit to go over some changes and I am continuously
> getting an IE Script Error for ecery click I make. The following is what I am
> receiving:
>
> res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm
>
> It will not let me do a thing. I am running XP Pro SP2 . I am not on a LAN,
> this machine is in my home office only, DSL, dedicated gateway with NAT
> firewall and software firewall. Also have several spywares that I scan with.
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 5:36:07 AM

Hi Doug,

This is the entire text I received on the "Internet Explorer Script Error"
Message Box. Sorry, there is also the following:
An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 30
Char: 12
Error: Unspecified error
Code: 0

Now, why would I be getting this when I am just opening up Services from
Admin Tools? I am not accessing this through the net, so I am quite confused.

Thanks!

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Is that the entire text of the error?

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:D F5B83D1-15E9-4099-A2C2-58353DF1EB54@microsoft.com...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just went into GPedit to go over some changes and I am continuously
> > getting an IE Script Error for ecery click I make. The following is what I am
> > receiving:
> >
> > res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm
> >
> > It will not let me do a thing. I am running XP Pro SP2 . I am not on a LAN,
> > this machine is in my home office only, DSL, dedicated gateway with NAT
> > firewall and software firewall. Also have several spywares that I scan with.
> >
> > Thanks!

June 27, 2005 5:43:51 PM

Tim,

Have you tried Help and Support, by any chance? Does it give a similar error? If so, the following may be applicable to you.

1) Click Start, Run and enter CMD, then click OK.

2) Enter NET STOP HELPSVC and press Enter.

3) Enter CD \WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore and press Enter.

4) Enter DIR *.CAB and press Enter. Note if any CAB files are found.

5) Enter CD .. and press Enter.

If you had any CAB files in the PackageStore Directory continue with Step 6. If not, skip to step 7.

6) Enter REN PackageStore PackageStoreOld and press Enter.

7) Enter CD BINARIES and press Enter.

8) Enter START /W HELPSVC /SVCHOST NETSVCS /REGSERVER /INSTALL and press Enter.

If the MMC components (Services, GPEDIT, etc.) and Help and Support work, then you can delete the PackageStoreOld folder.

"TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:2369256B-FC14-4C9C-A228-961215A3FFE6@microsoft.com...
> Hi Doug,
>
> This is the entire text I received on the "Internet Explorer Script Error"
> Message Box. Sorry, there is also the following:
> An error has occurred in the script on this page.
>
> Line: 30
> Char: 12
> Error: Unspecified error
> Code: 0
>
> Now, why would I be getting this when I am just opening up Services from
> Admin Tools? I am not accessing this through the net, so I am quite confused.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Is that the entire text of the error?
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:D F5B83D1-15E9-4099-A2C2-58353DF1EB54@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I just went into GPedit to go over some changes and I am continuously
>> > getting an IE Script Error for ecery click I make. The following is what I am
>> > receiving:
>> >
>> > res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm
>> >
>> > It will not let me do a thing. I am running XP Pro SP2 . I am not on a LAN,
>> > this machine is in my home office only, DSL, dedicated gateway with NAT
>> > firewall and software firewall. Also have several spywares that I scan with.
>> >
>> > Thanks!

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:31:01 AM

Doug,

No I have not tried that. I will now. My e-mail has been down, sorry for the
delayed responses.

Tim

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Tim,
>
> Have you tried Help and Support, by any chance? Does it give a similar error? If so, the following may be applicable to you.
>
> 1) Click Start, Run and enter CMD, then click OK.
>
> 2) Enter NET STOP HELPSVC and press Enter.
>
> 3) Enter CD \WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore and press Enter.
>
> 4) Enter DIR *.CAB and press Enter. Note if any CAB files are found.
>
> 5) Enter CD .. and press Enter.
>
> If you had any CAB files in the PackageStore Directory continue with Step 6. If not, skip to step 7.
>
> 6) Enter REN PackageStore PackageStoreOld and press Enter.
>
> 7) Enter CD BINARIES and press Enter.
>
> 8) Enter START /W HELPSVC /SVCHOST NETSVCS /REGSERVER /INSTALL and press Enter.
>
> If the MMC components (Services, GPEDIT, etc.) and Help and Support work, then you can delete the PackageStoreOld folder.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:2369256B-FC14-4C9C-A228-961215A3FFE6@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> > This is the entire text I received on the "Internet Explorer Script Error"
> > Message Box. Sorry, there is also the following:
> > An error has occurred in the script on this page.
> >
> > Line: 30
> > Char: 12
> > Error: Unspecified error
> > Code: 0

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 3:48:15 AM

No problem, Tim. A number of users report that this works for them.

"TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:C2DC22DC-422A-498D-A03B-EA4288807CFE@microsoft.com...
> Doug,
>
> No I have not tried that. I will now. My e-mail has been down, sorry for the
> delayed responses.
>
> Tim
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Tim,
>>
>> Have you tried Help and Support, by any chance? Does it give a similar error? If so, the following may be applicable to you.
>>
>> 1) Click Start, Run and enter CMD, then click OK.
>>
>> 2) Enter NET STOP HELPSVC and press Enter.
>>
>> 3) Enter CD \WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore and press Enter.
>>
>> 4) Enter DIR *.CAB and press Enter. Note if any CAB files are found.
>>
>> 5) Enter CD .. and press Enter.
>>
>> If you had any CAB files in the PackageStore Directory continue with Step 6. If not, skip to step 7.
>>
>> 6) Enter REN PackageStore PackageStoreOld and press Enter.
>>
>> 7) Enter CD BINARIES and press Enter.
>>
>> 8) Enter START /W HELPSVC /SVCHOST NETSVCS /REGSERVER /INSTALL and press Enter.
>>
>> If the MMC components (Services, GPEDIT, etc.) and Help and Support work, then you can delete the PackageStoreOld folder.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:2369256B-FC14-4C9C-A228-961215A3FFE6@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Doug,
>> >
>> > This is the entire text I received on the "Internet Explorer Script Error"
>> > Message Box. Sorry, there is also the following:
>> > ------------------------------------------------------
>> > An error has occurred in the script on this page.
>> >
>> > Line: 30
>> > Char: 12
>> > Error: Unspecified error
>> > Code: 0

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 3:48:16 AM

Doug,

Well, this is as far as it would let me go. I copied this from the cmd window:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.NORTHGASECURITY>net stop helpsvc
The Help and Support service is not started.

**( I already stopped it before I copied & pasted)

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.NORTHGASECURITY>cd
\windows\temp\pchealth\helpctr\packagestore

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>dir *.cab
Volume in drive C is NGSP 101
Volume Serial Number is 9C0F-A845

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore

File Not Found

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>dir *.CAB
Volume in drive C is NGSP 101
Volume Serial Number is 9C0F-A845

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore

File Not Found

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>

It says file not found but I see Package_2.cab thru package_8.cab listed &
instance_Professional_32_1033.cab. (All hidden files) When I look thru
explorer. This is as far as I went.

Then there is also CRC_Disk w/no file ext & SkuStore.bin

While we are in here, my msconfig.exe file is located in pchealth\binaries.
Is that where it should not be?

Also, do you know what I need to do to correct this from showing all over
these pages? >>

Never used to look like this :o )

Thanks!
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:33:11 AM

Hi Tim,

If the CAB files are hidden, as shown in Explorer, you need to use the /A switch on the DIR command so that they'll show up in the command prompt window

DIR *.CAB /A

You can also rename the PackageStore folder from within Explorer, as long as you're showing hidden files/folders. I think the process was written with the assumption that most users don't have hidden files and folders visible, by default.

And yes, MSCONFIG resides in C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries. This is its normal location.

"TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message news:B6823751-A7C1-45DC-844D-E92FA7D022AA@microsoft.com...
> Doug,
>
> Well, this is as far as it would let me go. I copied this from the cmd window:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.NORTHGASECURITY>net stop helpsvc
> The Help and Support service is not started.
>
> **( I already stopped it before I copied & pasted)
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.NORTHGASECURITY>cd
> \windows\temp\pchealth\helpctr\packagestore
>
> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>dir *.cab
> Volume in drive C is NGSP 101
> Volume Serial Number is 9C0F-A845
>
> Directory of C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore
>
> File Not Found
>
> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>dir *.CAB
> Volume in drive C is NGSP 101
> Volume Serial Number is 9C0F-A845
>
> Directory of C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore
>
> File Not Found
>
> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>
>

> It says file not found but I see Package_2.cab thru package_8.cab listed &
> instance_Professional_32_1033.cab. (All hidden files) When I look thru
> explorer. This is as far as I went.
>
> Then there is also CRC_Disk w/no file ext & SkuStore.bin
>
> While we are in here, my msconfig.exe file is located in pchealth\binaries.
> Is that where it should not be?
>
> Also, do you know what I need to do to correct this from showing all over
> these pages? >>
>
> Never used to look like this :o )
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:33:12 AM

Ok, what am I doing wrong? :o ) I am not fluent with DOS commands, sorry! I
have an idea but I don't want to execute the wrong thing. This is what I am
getting now:

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>dir *cab/a
Volume in drive C is NGSP 101
Volume Serial Number is 9C0F-A845

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore

08/04/2004 08:00 AM 2,737,914 instance_Professional_32_1033.cab
06/05/2005 01:57 AM 727 package_1.cab
06/05/2005 01:57 AM 19,854 package_2.cab
06/05/2005 01:57 AM 244,933 package_3.cab
08/04/2004 08:00 AM 7,068 package_4.cab
08/04/2004 08:00 AM 68,327 package_5.cab
08/04/2004 08:00 AM 305,145 package_6.cab
06/06/2005 06:02 AM 11,347 package_7.cab
06/06/2005 06:03 AM 14,930 package_8.cab
9 File(s) 3,410,245 bytes
0 Dir(s) 7,452,827,648 bytes free

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>cd
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\pchealth\helpctr\PackageStore>ren packagestore packagestoreold

PS Doug, do you know why my display in here looks like this?

gt;> >
>> > This is the entire text I received on the "Internet Explorer Script Error"
>> > Message Box. Sorry, there is also the following:
>> > An error has occurred in the script on this page.
>> >
>> > Line: 30
>> > Char: 12
>> > Error: Unspecified error
>> > Code: 0

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:55:20 AM

You need to execute a CD .. command. That's CD followed by a space and two periods. That takes you back one directory level. Then you can rename the PackageStore folder.

!