9800 pro overclocking

Antec server case
2 80cm fans no other cooling
ati 9800 pro stock cooling no heat-sinks on mem
P4 3.2 478 800 fsb
1gig pc 3200mem

dont know if i have ddr I II or III just bought card at comp usa last week

right now overclocked to 381clock 345mem

need some feedback for max overclocking with stock cooling

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

" Jeff McNulty" <bilyzoom@gte.net> wrote in message
> Antec server case
> 2 80cm fans no other cooling
> ati 9800 pro stock cooling no heat-sinks on mem
> P4 3.2 478 800 fsb
> 1gig pc 3200mem

I've run my ATI 9800 Pro 128Mb at XT clocks (412, 365) since day one on the
stock cooler. Never a glitch when running Far Cry or whatever.

In article <x1aYd.62903$EL5.43900@trnddc05>, Jeff McNulty says...
> Antec server case
> 2 80cm fans no other cooling
> ati 9800 pro stock cooling no heat-sinks on mem
> P4 3.2 478 800 fsb
> 1gig pc 3200mem
>
> dont know if i have ddr I II or III just bought card at comp usa last week
>
> right now overclocked to 381clock 345mem
>
> need some feedback for max overclocking with stock cooling

Use ATI Tool. Itr has a nice overclocking utility which gradually
increases speeds then runs a stress test with ever increasing time
lengths until you hit the barrier.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Jeff McNulty wrote:
> Antec server case
> 2 80cm fans no other cooling
> ati 9800 pro stock cooling no heat-sinks on mem
> P4 3.2 478 800 fsb
> 1gig pc 3200mem
>
> dont know if i have ddr I II or III just bought card at comp usa last week
>
> right now overclocked to 381clock 345mem
>
> need some feedback for max overclocking with stock cooling

I can get around 450/360MHz with Zalman ZM80C... I know it's not stock,
but it is passive.

What you get will depend on the memory and temps inside your case, as
well as other things such as the phase of the moon.

You should be able to get over 420MHz core, and if your RAM is 2.86ns,
approximately 350MHz and 333MHz if it's 3.0ns.

ATI Tool should sort it all out for you.

Ben

I removed the stock heatsink, replaced the dried-out useless TIM w/Arctic
Silver III and added an old ball-bearing Pentium fan, my 9800 Pro is now
running at 428/371. I don't know if I'll be able to maintain these speeds
during the summer. I guess I'll find out though.

--
Remove nospam to email
" Jeff McNulty" <bilyzoom@gte.net> wrote in message
> Antec server case
> 2 80cm fans no other cooling
> ati 9800 pro stock cooling no heat-sinks on mem
> P4 3.2 478 800 fsb
> 1gig pc 3200mem
>
> dont know if i have ddr I II or III just bought card at comp usa last week
>
> right now overclocked to 381clock 345mem
>
> need some feedback for max overclocking with stock cooling

" Jeff McNulty" <bilyzoom@gte.net> wrote in message
> Antec server case
> 2 80cm fans no other cooling
> ati 9800 pro stock cooling no heat-sinks on mem
> P4 3.2 478 800 fsb
> 1gig pc 3200mem
>
> dont know if i have ddr I II or III just bought card at comp usa last week
>
> right now overclocked to 381clock 345mem
>
> need some feedback for max overclocking with stock cooling
>Now have card clocked to 381/365. Has been running all weekend fine. Bought
>my son NFS underground 2 last night and he played for about 8 hours
>straight. 1024x768 all settings maxed out. Not a single hicup. 3Dmark 2003
>went from 6006 to 6550. For all intents isnt this card running like a
>9800xt? I love this card!!!!

" Jeff McNulty" <bilyzoom@gte.net> wrote in message
> Antec server case
> 2 80cm fans no other cooling
> ati 9800 pro stock cooling no heat-sinks on mem
> P4 3.2 478 800 fsb
> 1gig pc 3200mem
>
> dont know if i have ddr I II or III just bought card at comp usa last week
>
> right now overclocked to 381clock 345mem
>
> need some feedback for max overclocking with stock cooling
>last post mistake oc'd to 421/365

I had to back off my core clock because I was getting sparkling in Doom3.
OTOH, I cranked up the mem clock. I'm
now running (w/stock heatsink and Pentium ball-bearing fan w/arctic silver
III TIM) @ 416/381.

There is one person who has taken his 9800 Pro to new heights though (he's a
poster on Rage3d):

9800pro 8E@ 500/400(voltmodded 1.9v) +80watt TEC
the above guy is using a peltier on his 9800 PRO!!!

I don't know how he got his memory to 400 though. Maybe the TEC cools his
memory AND core?
--
Remove nospam to email