adminstrator password

I purchased a computer at a garage sale and I do not have the administrator
password to download and update my computer. When I do so under my user
name, it does not let me and states "you need administrator privileges". How
can I reset and change the administrator password? Thanks for your help.
3 answers Last reply
More about adminstrator password

    sfbayscorpian wrote:
    > I purchased a computer at a garage sale and I do not have the administrator
    > password to download and update my computer. When I do so under my user
    > name, it does not let me and states "you need administrator privileges". How
    > can I reset and change the administrator password? Thanks for your help.

    Well, you could get the Administrator account's password from whomever
    sold you the computer. If the seller doesn't know it, you might want to
    check with you local law enforcement agencies to make sure that you
    haven't inadvertently purchased stolen goods.

    However, with second-hand computers, especially if acquired from
    strangers but perhaps even if acquired from a family member or friend,
    your wisest course of action would probably be to format the hard drives
    and start fresh. You don't want to get in trouble because the original
    owner may have filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems
    because the original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other
    malware. This will also allow you to set the Administrator's password
    for yourself.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > sfbayscorpian wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased a computer at a garage sale and I do not have the
    >> administrator password to download and update my computer. When I do
    >> so under my user name, it does not let me and states "you need
    >> administrator privileges". How can I reset and change the
    >> administrator password? Thanks for your help.
    >

    > Well, you could get the Administrator account's password from
    > whomever sold you the computer. If the seller doesn't know it, you
    > might want to check with you local law enforcement agencies to make sure
    > that you haven't inadvertently purchased stolen goods.
    >
    > However, with second-hand computers, especially if acquired from
    > strangers but perhaps even if acquired from a family member or friend,
    > your wisest course of action would probably be to format the hard drives
    > and start fresh. You don't want to get in trouble because the original
    > owner may have filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems
    > because the original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other
    > malware. This will also allow you to set the Administrator's password
    > for yourself.

    See the below link and read only the third or fourth option as
    the first two are not relevant to your problem.
    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

    Alan wrote:
    > Bruce Chambers wrote:
    >
    >> sfbayscorpian wrote:
    >>
    >>> I purchased a computer at a garage sale and I do not have the
    >>> administrator password to download and update my computer. When I do
    >>> so under my user name, it does not let me and states "you need
    >>> administrator privileges". How can I reset and change the
    >>> administrator password? Thanks for your help.
    >>

    >> Well, you could get the Administrator account's password from
    >> whomever sold you the computer. If the seller doesn't know it, you
    >> might want to check with you local law enforcement agencies to make
    >> sure that you haven't inadvertently purchased stolen goods.
    >>
    >> However, with second-hand computers, especially if acquired from
    >> strangers but perhaps even if acquired from a family member or friend,
    >> your wisest course of action would probably be to format the hard
    >> drives and start fresh. You don't want to get in trouble because the
    >> original owner may have filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or
    >> have problems because the original owner downloaded/installed viruses
    >> or other malware. This will also allow you to set the Administrator's
    >> password for yourself.
    >>

    > See the below link and read only the third or fourth option as the first
    > two are not relevant to your problem.
    > http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm
    I should have added that my preference is the EBCD (Emergency
    Boot CD) as it provides additional functionality that everyone
    would find helpful.

Security Computers Microsoft Windows XP