Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

adminstrator password

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 24, 2005 11:17:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I purchased a computer at a garage sale and I do not have the administrator
password to download and update my computer. When I do so under my user
name, it does not let me and states "you need administrator privileges". How
can I reset and change the administrator password? Thanks for your help.

More about : adminstrator password

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 24, 2005 1:24:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

sfbayscorpian wrote:
> I purchased a computer at a garage sale and I do not have the administrator
> password to download and update my computer. When I do so under my user
> name, it does not let me and states "you need administrator privileges". How
> can I reset and change the administrator password? Thanks for your help.


Well, you could get the Administrator account's password from whomever
sold you the computer. If the seller doesn't know it, you might want to
check with you local law enforcement agencies to make sure that you
haven't inadvertently purchased stolen goods.

However, with second-hand computers, especially if acquired from
strangers but perhaps even if acquired from a family member or friend,
your wisest course of action would probably be to format the hard drives
and start fresh. You don't want to get in trouble because the original
owner may have filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems
because the original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other
malware. This will also allow you to set the Administrator's password
for yourself.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
June 24, 2005 4:23:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> sfbayscorpian wrote:
>
>> I purchased a computer at a garage sale and I do not have the
>> administrator password to download and update my computer. When I do
>> so under my user name, it does not let me and states "you need
>> administrator privileges". How can I reset and change the
>> administrator password? Thanks for your help.
>
>
>
> Well, you could get the Administrator account's password from
> whomever sold you the computer. If the seller doesn't know it, you
> might want to check with you local law enforcement agencies to make sure
> that you haven't inadvertently purchased stolen goods.
>
> However, with second-hand computers, especially if acquired from
> strangers but perhaps even if acquired from a family member or friend,
> your wisest course of action would probably be to format the hard drives
> and start fresh. You don't want to get in trouble because the original
> owner may have filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems
> because the original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other
> malware. This will also allow you to set the Administrator's password
> for yourself.
>
>
See the below link and read only the third or fourth option as
the first two are not relevant to your problem.
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.ht...
June 24, 2005 4:54:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Alan wrote:
> Bruce Chambers wrote:
>
>> sfbayscorpian wrote:
>>
>>> I purchased a computer at a garage sale and I do not have the
>>> administrator password to download and update my computer. When I do
>>> so under my user name, it does not let me and states "you need
>>> administrator privileges". How can I reset and change the
>>> administrator password? Thanks for your help.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Well, you could get the Administrator account's password from
>> whomever sold you the computer. If the seller doesn't know it, you
>> might want to check with you local law enforcement agencies to make
>> sure that you haven't inadvertently purchased stolen goods.
>>
>> However, with second-hand computers, especially if acquired from
>> strangers but perhaps even if acquired from a family member or friend,
>> your wisest course of action would probably be to format the hard
>> drives and start fresh. You don't want to get in trouble because the
>> original owner may have filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or
>> have problems because the original owner downloaded/installed viruses
>> or other malware. This will also allow you to set the Administrator's
>> password for yourself.
>>
>>
> See the below link and read only the third or fourth option as the first
> two are not relevant to your problem.
> http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.ht...
I should have added that my preference is the EBCD (Emergency
Boot CD) as it provides additional functionality that everyone
would find helpful.
!