Preventing Downloads.

Is there a way to gray out the Run and Save options to prevent users from
downloading? We have a small lab of 5 machines and the software they use
requires them to have Administrator rights so the machines are loaded with
spyware and programs like Webroot Spysweeper and EmpirePoker etc. Is there
a registry key that will stop users from downloading?
2 answers Last reply
More about preventing downloads

    Mike Kruzel wrote:

    > Is there a way to gray out the Run and Save options to prevent users
    > from
    > downloading? We have a small lab of 5 machines and the software they
    > use requires them to have Administrator rights so the machines are
    > loaded with
    > spyware and programs like Webroot Spysweeper and EmpirePoker etc. Is
    > there a registry key that will stop users from downloading?

    If you have XP Pro you can use the Group Policy Editor and set very
    fine-grained permissions. However, any administrator will be able to
    change that. Suggestions:

    1. See if the programs they use have any upgrades or workarounds to
    enable the users to be Power Users or Limited Users. Contact the
    software mftrs.' tech support for the information. You may be able to
    just give permissions on a few registry keys instead of making the
    users Administrators.

    2. If #1 doesn't work, look for programs that are written properly and
    switch.

    3. If #1 and #2 aren't feasible, consider using third-party software
    such as DeepFreeze from Faronics to reset your workstations every
    night.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "Mike Kruzel" <mike.kruzel@saintpaul.edu> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to gray out the Run and Save options to prevent users
    from
    > downloading? We have a small lab of 5 machines and the software they
    use
    > requires them to have Administrator rights so the machines are loaded
    with
    > spyware and programs like Webroot Spysweeper and EmpirePoker etc. Is
    there
    > a registry key that will stop users from downloading?

    Our software Folder Guard lets you revoke the "Allow to download files
    with Internet Explorer" permission for some (or all) user accounts, as
    described here:

    http://www.winability.com/folderguard/users-guide_dlg-permissions-ie.htm

    If you use some other web browser, you can stop downloads by configuring
    appropriate file and folder permissions, for example:

    http://www.winability.com/folderguard/restrict-downloads-opera.htm

    Note that Folder Guard can protect both the Home and XP Editions of
    Windows, on both NTFS and FAT/FAT32 drives.

    --
    HTH

    Andrei Belogortseff
    WinAbility(r) Software Corp. [ http://www.winability.com/ ]
    "Useful Windows Utilities and Security Software"

Security Microsoft Windows XP