Pocket-Sized Wi-Fi Signal Detector

I've been reading about the new $30 pocket Wi-Fi sensors: The Kensington
WiFi Finder, the WiFiSeeker, and the Wifi Detector from Smartid (Singapore).
The reviews I've been able to find suggest the four-LED WiFi Finder and
WiFiSeeker are similar and superior to the three-LED Kensington.

Has anyone information about comparing the WiFi Detector
(www.smartid.com.sg) with the WiFiSeeker (www.wifiseeker.com)?
7 answers Last reply
More about pocket sized signal detector

    "Paul DeVivo" <pdevivo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've been reading about the new $30 pocket Wi-Fi sensors: The Kensington
    > WiFi Finder, the WiFiSeeker, and the Wifi Detector from Smartid
    (Singapore).
    > The reviews I've been able to find suggest the four-LED WiFi Finder and
    > WiFiSeeker are similar and superior to the three-LED Kensington.

    well of course they are superior, they have one more led!

    It's a waiste of money...
    You can easely build one yourselve for less then 5$ in
    components.... antenna, few diodes, one IC and a few
    LED's....done...

    care to post some diagrams for us?
    m9876c at yahoo dot com

    ----------------------------
    a waiste of money...
    You can easely build one yourselve for less then 5$ in
    components.... antenna, few diodes, one IC and a few
    LED's....done...

    If you can settle for a laptop-sized detector, you can use a laptop with a
    PCMCIA wireless card and NetStumbler software to find Wi-Fi signals. I've
    done this from inside a car. Works amazingly well.

    "Al Dente" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    > care to post some diagrams for us?
    > m9876c at yahoo dot com
    >
    > ----------------------------
    > a waiste of money...
    > You can easely build one yourselve for less then 5$ in
    > components.... antenna, few diodes, one IC and a few
    > LED's....done...

    Adding a high-gain antenna would make the detector even more sensitive.

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:21:26 -0400, "Paul DeVivo" <pdevivo@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I've been reading about the new $30 pocket Wi-Fi sensors: The
    Kensington
    >WiFi Finder, the WiFiSeeker, and the Wifi Detector from Smartid
    (Singapore).
    >The reviews I've been able to find suggest the four-LED WiFi Finder
    and
    >WiFiSeeker are similar and superior to the three-LED Kensington.
    >
    >Has anyone information about comparing the WiFi Detector
    >(www.smartid.com.sg) with the WiFiSeeker (www.wifiseeker.com)?

    The first version of the Kensington was a piece of junk. Mine died
    after a short time and the "life time warranty" was appearantly the
    "lifetime" of the device not the purchaser. I have not replaced it.
    There are some clever sounding approaches available.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Review of pocket Wi-Fi detectors
    http://www.handtops.com/show/news/68

    And a newer, more expensive one
    http://digital-lifestyles.info/display_page.asp?section=distribution&id=2478
    Ted

    "Antenna Erector" <antenna69@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:21:26 -0400, "Paul DeVivo" <pdevivo@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've been reading about the new $30 pocket Wi-Fi sensors: The
    > Kensington
    >>WiFi Finder, the WiFiSeeker, and the Wifi Detector from Smartid
    > (Singapore).
    >>The reviews I've been able to find suggest the four-LED WiFi Finder
    > and
    >>WiFiSeeker are similar and superior to the three-LED Kensington.
    >>
    >>Has anyone information about comparing the WiFi Detector
    >>(www.smartid.com.sg) with the WiFiSeeker (www.wifiseeker.com)?
    >>

    > The first version of the Kensington was a piece of junk. Mine died
    > after a short time and the "life time warranty" was appearantly the
    > "lifetime" of the device not the purchaser. I have not replaced it.
    > There are some clever sounding approaches available.

WiFi LED Monitor Wireless Networking