  • LED Monitor
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 28, 2004 2:21:26 AM

I've been reading about the new $30 pocket Wi-Fi sensors: The Kensington
WiFi Finder, the WiFiSeeker, and the Wifi Detector from Smartid (Singapore).
The reviews I've been able to find suggest the four-LED WiFi Finder and
WiFiSeeker are similar and superior to the three-LED Kensington.

Has anyone information about comparing the WiFi Detector
(www.smartid.com.sg) with the WiFiSeeker (www.wifiseeker.com)?

More about : pocket sized signal detector

June 28, 2004 2:22:51 PM

"Paul DeVivo" <pdevivo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o jMqHbLXEHA.1584@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I've been reading about the new $30 pocket Wi-Fi sensors: The Kensington
> WiFi Finder, the WiFiSeeker, and the Wifi Detector from Smartid
(Singapore).
> The reviews I've been able to find suggest the four-LED WiFi Finder and
> WiFiSeeker are similar and superior to the three-LED Kensington.

well of course they are superior, they have one more led!
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 11:50:33 AM

It's a waiste of money...
You can easely build one yourselve for less then 5$ in
components.... antenna, few diodes, one IC and a few
LED's....done...

July 4, 2004 1:19:10 AM

care to post some diagrams for us?
m9876c at yahoo dot com

----------------------------
a waiste of money...
You can easely build one yourselve for less then 5$ in
components.... antenna, few diodes, one IC and a few
LED's....done...

July 5, 2004 9:12:38 PM

If you can settle for a laptop-sized detector, you can use a laptop with a
PCMCIA wireless card and NetStumbler software to find Wi-Fi signals. I've
done this from inside a car. Works amazingly well.

"Al Dente" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> care to post some diagrams for us?
> m9876c at yahoo dot com
>
> ----------------------------
> a waiste of money...
> You can easely build one yourselve for less then 5$ in
> components.... antenna, few diodes, one IC and a few
> LED's....done...

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 2:38:00 AM

Adding a high-gain antenna would make the detector even more sensitive.

"Box134" <box134@wooky.invalid> wrote in message
> If you can settle for a laptop-sized detector, you can use a laptop with a
> PCMCIA wireless card and NetStumbler software to find Wi-Fi signals. I've
> done this from inside a car. Works amazingly well.
>

> "Al Dente" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> > care to post some diagrams for us?
> > m9876c at yahoo dot com
> >
> > ----------------------------
> > a waiste of money...
> > You can easely build one yourselve for less then 5$ in
> > components.... antenna, few diodes, one IC and a few
> > LED's....done...

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:20:21 AM

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:21:26 -0400, "Paul DeVivo" <pdevivo@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I've been reading about the new $30 pocket Wi-Fi sensors: The
Kensington
>WiFi Finder, the WiFiSeeker, and the Wifi Detector from Smartid
(Singapore).
>The reviews I've been able to find suggest the four-LED WiFi Finder
and
>WiFiSeeker are similar and superior to the three-LED Kensington.
>
>Has anyone information about comparing the WiFi Detector
>(www.smartid.com.sg) with the WiFiSeeker (www.wifiseeker.com)?

The first version of the Kensington was a piece of junk. Mine died
after a short time and the "life time warranty" was appearantly the
"lifetime" of the device not the purchaser. I have not replaced it.
There are some clever sounding approaches available.
August 31, 2005 8:34:01 AM

Review of pocket Wi-Fi detectors
http://www.handtops.com/show/news/68

And a newer, more expensive one