Can You Upgrade RADEON Cards Without Re-installing Drivers?

In one computer I have a RADEON 9800 Pro 128 that I want to upgrade to
RADEON 9800 Pro 256. Can I simply swap the new card in place without
re-installing the drivers, or does the driver install look for specific
RADEON variations and record those in some form, thus potentially requiring
a new install when an upgraded RADEON is installed?

I realize that one driver installation program will service all RADEON
flavors, but this is not the same thing as saying that the *installed*
driver can adjust itself to all RADEON versions at run-time.

--
Will

Kent_Diego

> In one computer I have a RADEON 9800 Pro 128 that I want to upgrade to
> RADEON 9800 Pro 256. Can I simply swap the new card in place without
> re-installing the drivers,
I have changed several different Radeon cards and it has always been plug
and play. New hardware found, new driver installed. Automatic.

-Kent

In my experience, no. In fact, I've had HUGE problems changing from one
ATI card to another (both "Built-by ATI" cards), the computer wouldn't
even boot to a desktop except in safe mode.

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> In one computer I have a RADEON 9800 Pro 128 that I want to upgrade to
> RADEON 9800 Pro 256. Can I simply swap the new card in place without
> re-installing the drivers, or does the driver install look for specific
> RADEON variations and record those in some form, thus potentially
> requiring a new install when an upgraded RADEON is installed?
>
> I realize that one driver installation program will service all RADEON
> flavors, but this is not the same thing as saying that the *installed*
> driver can adjust itself to all RADEON versions at run-time.

The installed driver is not adjusting dynamically - uninstall the old driver
first, then plug in the new card and boot. If u are lucky it will work but
usually Windows starts coughing after some time.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0510-1, 11/03/2005
Tested on: 12/03/2005 1:44:32 PM

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <4232628C.2040407@neo.rr.com>, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
>In my experience, no. In fact, I've had HUGE problems changing from one
>ATI card to another (both "Built-by ATI" cards), the computer wouldn't
>even boot to a desktop except in safe mode.

But in this instance, he can do it and will work just fine since it is njust
going from a 128MB card to a 256 mb card of the same core.