Catalyst 5.3 = character size problem

Andre

Hi,

I just in,stalled the new Catalyst 5.3 after unisntalling the previuos ones.

Now, I just can use Small characters.
If I set the character size to 120%, it stays to small characters in Windows
XP.

I tried to use a different size manually but it comes back automatically to
small.

What can I do ?

Thanks

Andre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just in,stalled the new Catalyst 5.3 after unisntalling the previuos ones.
>
> Now, I just can use Small characters.
> If I set the character size to 120%, it stays to small characters in Windows
> XP.
>
> I tried to use a different size manually but it comes back automatically to
> small.
>
> What can I do ?
>
> Thanks

I usually use:
Display->Properties->Settings->Advanced->General

Change the "DPI setting" using "Custom setting..." to what your monitor
real DPI is. This allow you to have all you 10point fonts to look the
same on all monitors.

"Minh Tran-Le" <tranle@hotmail.com> :11368kv8grn4j5f@news.supernews.com...
> Andre wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just in,stalled the new Catalyst 5.3 after unisntalling the previuos
>> ones.
>>
>> Now, I just can use Small characters.
>> If I set the character size to 120%, it stays to small characters in
>> Windows XP.
>>
>> I tried to use a different size manually but it comes back automatically
>> to small.
>>
>> What can I do ?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I usually use:
> Display->Properties->Settings->Advanced->General
>
> Change the "DPI setting" using "Custom setting..." to what your monitor
> real DPI is. This allow you to have all you 10point fonts to look the same
> on all monitors.

Does this work for you using the Catalyst 5.3 drivers?

After I installed the Cat 5.3 drivers I had the same problem as the original
poster.
No matter what DPI I choose, after a re-boot everything is back to 96 DPI,
even though it still shows e.g. 120 DPI under
"Display->Properties->Settings->Advanced->General".

Now I am back to the Cat 5.2 drivers.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:31:31 +0100, "Mirko" <mirko@pchome.com.tw>
wrote:

>Does this work for you using the Catalyst 5.3 drivers?
>
>After I installed the Cat 5.3 drivers I had the same problem as the original
>poster.
>No matter what DPI I choose, after a re-boot everything is back to 96 DPI,
>even though it still shows e.g. 120 DPI under
>"Display->Properties->Settings->Advanced->General".
>
>Now I am back to the Cat 5.2 drivers.

I read somewhwere else that the Cat 5.3's are stuck at 96 DPI. Looks
like ATI goofed up.

Andre

It turns automatically back to 96 dpi what ever I can set in the display
properties, even manually.

I re-installed the 5.2 and no problem.

Hope that the next release will fix it.

d0vchu$d2d$05$1@news.t-online.com...

Mirko wrote:

> Does this work for you using the Catalyst 5.3 drivers?
>
> After I installed the Cat 5.3 drivers I had the same problem as the
> original poster.
> No matter what DPI I choose, after a re-boot everything is back to 96
> DPI, even though it still shows e.g. 120 DPI under
> "Display->Properties->Settings->Advanced->General".
>
> Now I am back to the Cat 5.2 drivers.

Yes you are right the resolution setting setting is stuck to 96dpi on
Cat 5.3. I have not noticed it right away as my desktop monitor is
103dpi so it is not too far from 96dpi, but on my notebook it is 125dpi
so it is not really readable at 96dpi.

> Now, I just can use Small characters.
> If I set the character size to 120%, it stays to small characters in
> Windows XP.

Yes it's an awful bug. It's not only that character size setting is ignored
and stuck to 96 dpi, applications which get the screen resolution from
Windows API (so some of mine) will not display correctly. You can use the
new driver only with 96 dpi set. I really wonder how such a bug is not seen
in beta testings. No one using 120 dpi ?

Winfried Posur wrote:
>> Now, I just can use Small characters.
>> If I set the character size to 120%, it stays to small characters in
>> Windows XP.
>
> Yes it's an awful bug. It's not only that character size setting is
> ignored and stuck to 96 dpi, applications which get the screen
> resolution from Windows API (so some of mine) will not display
> correctly. You can use the new driver only with 96 dpi set. I really
> wonder how such a bug is not seen in beta testings. No one using 120
> dpi ?

A rare newsgroup thank you to those posting in this thread so far. I
normally update my ATi drivers each time. You have saved me a lot of grief.

jk

Just reporting that I had the same problem with the cat 5.3's. I have a 19
inch monitor running at 1280x1024 resolution and am using 120 dpi fonts.
Installation of the 5.3's results in 96 dpi fonts and there is no way you
can get it to produce 120 dpi fonts. Yes, a huge bug. I'm sure with the
higher resolution screens in use these days, that many people are using
something other than the standard 96 fonts.

To make the proble worse, when you try to roll back the drivers to the
previous version you get the message that no drivers were backed up and
therefore they cannot be rolled back. Had to find the previous drivers and
reinstall them. All is fine now.

JK

"Bioboffin" <Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote in message
> Winfried Posur wrote:
>>> Now, I just can use Small characters.
>>> If I set the character size to 120%, it stays to small characters in
>>> Windows XP.
>>
>> Yes it's an awful bug. It's not only that character size setting is
>> ignored and stuck to 96 dpi, applications which get the screen
>> resolution from Windows API (so some of mine) will not display
>> correctly. You can use the new driver only with 96 dpi set. I really
>> wonder how such a bug is not seen in beta testings. No one using 120
>> dpi ?
>
> A rare newsgroup thank you to those posting in this thread so far. I
> normally update my ATi drivers each time. You have saved me a lot of
> grief.

Even worse: I did an uninstall of the driver in order to do a clean
reinstall. After this uninstall XP wanted to be activated again within three
days due to changed hardware. But it was only a driver uninstall.

> To make the proble worse, when you try to roll back the drivers to the
> previous version you get the message that no drivers were backed up and
> therefore they cannot be rolled back. Had to find the previous drivers
> and reinstall them. All is fine now.

jk

In all the years that I have owned ATI cards, I only once uninstalled the
previous drivers before installing the new ones. That one time I had
nothing but problems, so I reverted to my practice of just installing the
new drivers over the old ones. I have never had a problem doing that and
would recommend it to everyone. I reinstalled the 5.2's right over the
5.3's and was good to go in minutes.

But wow, that bug in the 5.3's is fundamental. Somebody dropped the ball
big time.

JK

"Winfried Posur" <emailmuell@posur.com> wrote in message
> Even worse: I did an uninstall of the driver in order to do a clean
> reinstall. After this uninstall XP wanted to be activated again within
> three days due to changed hardware. But it was only a driver uninstall.
>

>> To make the proble worse, when you try to roll back the drivers to the
>> previous version you get the message that no drivers were backed up and
>> therefore they cannot be rolled back. Had to find the previous drivers
>> and reinstall them. All is fine now.

<d14fks$ptu$01$1@news.t-online.com>:

>Yes it's an awful bug. It's not only that character size setting is ignored
>and stuck to 96 dpi, applications which get the screen resolution from
>Windows API (so some of mine) will not display correctly. You can use the
>new driver only with 96 dpi set. I really wonder how such a bug is not seen
>in beta testings. No one using 120 dpi ?

I have the same problem. I'm using the large fonts. After installation,
the Windows task bar is much much smaller. Changing the advanced screen
settings or the appearance (instead of "normal", to "big fonts") doesn't
help. I gave up (!), and deinstalled everything from ATI. Now I'm using
the Windows XP default driver, which results in too many crashes while
working, but at least the fonts are like before.

Additionally, installation hangs when installing the WDM drivers. (No
idea if I need them). I have Windows XP SP2 with all patches.

I'm really angry. I liked ATI because of their unified drivers that were
so easy to install. If this won't get corrected fast, I'll never buy an
ATI product in my life again.

Tilman

Tilman Hausherr wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:57:37 +0100, "Winfried Posur"
> <emailmuell@posur.com> wrote:
>
> "Winfried Posur" <emailmuell@posur.com> wrote in
> <d14fks$ptu$01$1@news.t-online.com>:
>
>> Yes it's an awful bug. It's not only that character size setting is
>> ignored and stuck to 96 dpi, applications which get the screen
>> resolution from Windows API (so some of mine) will not display
>> correctly. You can use the new driver only with 96 dpi set. I really
>> wonder how such a bug is not seen in beta testings. No one using 120
>> dpi ?
>
> I have the same problem. I'm using the large fonts. After
> installation, the Windows task bar is much much smaller. Changing the
> advanced screen settings or the appearance (instead of "normal", to
> "big fonts") doesn't help. I gave up (!), and deinstalled everything
> from ATI. Now I'm using the Windows XP default driver, which results
> in too many crashes while working, but at least the fonts are like
> before.
>
> Additionally, installation hangs when installing the WDM drivers. (No
> idea if I need them). I have Windows XP SP2 with all patches.
>
> I'm really angry. I liked ATI because of their unified drivers that
> were so easy to install. If this won't get corrected fast, I'll never
> buy an ATI product in my life again.
>
> Tilman

I'd reply, but my characters are too small for my old eyes to read...

:)

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:29:14 +0100, Tilman Hausherr <tilman@snafu.de>
wrote:

>I have the same problem. I'm using the large fonts. After installation,
>the Windows task bar is much much smaller. Changing the advanced screen
>settings or the appearance (instead of "normal", to "big fonts") doesn't
>help. I gave up (!), and deinstalled everything from ATI. Now I'm using
>the Windows XP default driver, which results in too many crashes while
>working, but at least the fonts are like before.
>
>Additionally, installation hangs when installing the WDM drivers. (No
>idea if I need them). I have Windows XP SP2 with all patches.
>
>I'm really angry. I liked ATI because of their unified drivers that were
>so easy to install. If this won't get corrected fast, I'll never buy an
>ATI product in my life again.
>
>Tilman

Get the ATI driver cleaner from their website and run that. Download
and install the Cat 5.2 drivers, not the CC ones that require .NET to
be installed. You should be fine after that.

jk

ATI has an archive of old drivers. Download the CAT 5.2's and install them.

JK

"Tilman Hausherr" <tilman@snafu.de> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:57:37 +0100, "Winfried Posur"
> <emailmuell@posur.com> wrote:
>
> "Winfried Posur" <emailmuell@posur.com> wrote in
> <d14fks$ptu$01$1@news.t-online.com>:
>
>>Yes it's an awful bug. It's not only that character size setting is
>>ignored
>>and stuck to 96 dpi, applications which get the screen resolution from
>>Windows API (so some of mine) will not display correctly. You can use the
>>new driver only with 96 dpi set. I really wonder how such a bug is not
>>seen
>>in beta testings. No one using 120 dpi ?
>
> I have the same problem. I'm using the large fonts. After installation,
> the Windows task bar is much much smaller. Changing the advanced screen
> settings or the appearance (instead of "normal", to "big fonts") doesn't
> help. I gave up (!), and deinstalled everything from ATI. Now I'm using
> the Windows XP default driver, which results in too many crashes while
> working, but at least the fonts are like before.
>
> Additionally, installation hangs when installing the WDM drivers. (No
> idea if I need them). I have Windows XP SP2 with all patches.
>
> I'm really angry. I liked ATI because of their unified drivers that were
> so easy to install. If this won't get corrected fast, I'll never buy an
> ATI product in my life again.
>
> Tilman

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

This can happen. It happened to me too. Every time you change your
driver config, it changes something called activation votes. Once you cross
a threshold it initiates the re-activation. When it happened to me the MS
activation failed saying I had activated the key too many times. I was
like, "WTF? All I did was update a driver". I called MS and they gave me a
key sequence and that had me up going again.

DaveL

"Winfried Posur" <emailmuell@posur.com> wrote in message
> Even worse: I did an uninstall of the driver in order to do a clean
> reinstall. After this uninstall XP wanted to be activated again within
> three days due to changed hardware. But it was only a driver uninstall.
>

>> To make the proble worse, when you try to roll back the drivers to the
>> previous version you get the message that no drivers were backed up and
>> therefore they cannot be rolled back. Had to find the previous drivers
>> and reinstall them. All is fine now.

RickyF

I've had similar headaches with Catalyst 5.3. I was able to resolve my
screen font issues by not "installing" the drivers using the ATI "exe"
file.

First uninstall all ATI software.

Next, rather then use the ATI file to install, I unpacked the file to
the default location "C:\ATI\Support\..." and then canceled the
install. Then I rebooted and when Windows XP told me that it had found
new hardware, I told it to install the drivers from the
C:\ATI\SUPPORT\...Driver\2KXP_INF subdirectory.

Now my screen fonts are almost back to the way they were before this
"upgrade".

I do have a collateral issue in that when I resume from hibernation I
hear the sound from the ATI TV tuner card channel even though no
application is running.

Hope this helps all of you suffering with the "upgrade software" blues.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:10:43 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
wrote:

>This can happen. It happened to me too. Every time you change your
>driver config, it changes something called activation votes. Once you cross
>a threshold it initiates the re-activation. When it happened to me the MS
>activation failed saying I had activated the key too many times. I was
>like, "WTF? All I did was update a driver". I called MS and they gave me a
>key sequence and that had me up going again.
>
>DaveL

It shouldn't do that. It is only supposed to do that if you physically
change the hardware too many times. You have an OEM copy of XP?

On 16 Mar 2005 11:05:10 -0800, "RickyF" <richardfrisch@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I do have a collateral issue in that when I resume from hibernation I
>hear the sound from the ATI TV tuner card channel even though no
>application is running.

Use power saving mode instead of hibernation.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

"Connected" <connected@somewhere.here> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:10:43 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>This can happen. It happened to me too. Every time you change your
>>driver config, it changes something called activation votes. Once you
>>cross
>>a threshold it initiates the re-activation. When it happened to me the MS
>>activation failed saying I had activated the key too many times. I was
>>like, "WTF? All I did was update a driver". I called MS and they gave me
>>key sequence and that had me up going again.
>>
>>DaveL
>
> It shouldn't do that. It is only supposed to do that if you physically
> change the hardware too many times. You have an OEM copy of XP?

It's a full oem version of XP pro I bought from newegg back in the fall of
2002. It cost about $150. You had to buy it with some hardware.

DaveL

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:40:34 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
wrote:

>It's a full oem version of XP pro I bought from newegg back in the fall of
>2002. It cost about $150. You had to buy it with some hardware.
>
>DaveL

Yea, I have a friend who bought an OEM copy of XP with some hardware
too and he gets flagged to call MS to activate for similar reasons to
you and I have a retail version and don't get flagged. The retail
version and OEM version are not the same when it comes to activation
flagging. I only got flagged once when I installed the same copy of XP
on two different harddrives, they didn't like that. :)

An OEM copy is actually supposed to be preinstalled on a computer and
it's supposed to stay with that computer, even if you sell the
computer. The OEM XP serial number is supposed to be stuck on the
outside of the computer too. According to MS anyway. My retail copy
can go on any computer so long as it's only on one computer at a time
and I can change the hardware so long as it's only something like 6
pieces in a 6 month period. If I go over that I will get flagged to
call them. I've never been flagged for changing hardware but my friend
with the OEM copy gets flagged all the time. But it's no big deal as I
heard in the U.S. the courts said MS's policy is unacceptable so you
can do as you please with your OEM copy and screw MS.

wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:57:37 +0100, "Winfried Posur"
><emailmuell@posur.com> wrote:
>
>"Winfried Posur" <emailmuell@posur.com> wrote in
><d14fks$ptu$01$1@news.t-online.com>:
>
>>Yes it's an awful bug. It's not only that character size setting is ignored
>>and stuck to 96 dpi, applications which get the screen resolution from
>>Windows API (so some of mine) will not display correctly. You can use the
>>new driver only with 96 dpi set. I really wonder how such a bug is not seen
>>in beta testings. No one using 120 dpi ?
>
>I have the same problem. I'm using the large fonts. After installation,
>the Windows task bar is much much smaller. Changing the advanced screen
>settings or the appearance (instead of "normal", to "big fonts") doesn't
>help. I gave up (!), and deinstalled everything from ATI. Now I'm using
>the Windows XP default driver, which results in too many crashes while
>working, but at least the fonts are like before.
>
>Additionally, installation hangs when installing the WDM drivers. (No
>idea if I need them). I have Windows XP SP2 with all patches.
>
>I'm really angry. I liked ATI because of their unified drivers that were
>so easy to install. If this won't get corrected fast, I'll never buy an
>ATI product in my life again.

The font problem seems to be solved with 5.4. Note that they don't
mention it as "solved issues" in the release notes. So much for honesty
:-(