Tweak XP Folder Protection

Hi all, my first post!
A while back i password protected a folder using Tweak Xp Pro v2, but
for the life of me, i can't remember the password. :o Could anyone
guide me (in general layman's terms), through the procedure for gaining
access through DOS?
Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Braindead
2 answers Last reply

    Braindead wrote:

    > Hi all, my first post!
    > A while back i password protected a folder using Tweak Xp Pro v2, but
    > for the life of me, i can't remember the password. :o Could anyone
    > guide me (in general layman's terms), through the procedure for
    > gaining access through DOS?
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    You cannot access this folder through DOS since there is no DOS in
    Windows XP. However, there is a very high probability that you can get
    the data in the folder by booting with Knoppix, a Linux distro that
    runs from cd. Here is information about doing that:

    An easy way to retrieve Windows files is to boot with Knoppix, a Linux
    distro on a live cd. You will need a computer with two cd drives, one
    of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb drive with enough capacity to
    hold your data. To get Knoppix, you need a computer with a fast
    Internet connection and third-party burning software. Download the
    Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable cd. Then
    boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. If you will
    be using the usb thumb drive to copy your data, plug it in before you
    boot the system with Knoppix. Otherwise, use the K3b burning program to
    burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.

    If the above seems daunting, then take the machine to a professional
    computer repair shop where they will be able to get your data (not your
    local equivalent of BigStoreUSA). If that is the only issue on the
    machine, it will be a quick and easy process and probably fairly
    inexpensive.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    That is precisely why Windows XP does not natively support
    password-protecting files or folders. Sorry, but you're out
    of luck....there is no DOS in Windows XP.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Braindead" wrote:

    | Hi all, my first post!
    | A while back i password protected a folder using Tweak Xp Pro v2, but
    | for the life of me, i can't remember the password. :o Could anyone
    | guide me (in general layman's terms), through the procedure for gaining
    | access through DOS?
    | Thanks in advance for any help.
    |

    | --
    | Braindead