9700PRO Catalyst 4.8 and UnrealTourny 2003

I just got this card... I have noticed some flakiness with UT2k3.
There are strange lines around the players images on screen...
sometimes a square, almost shadow like effect except it doesn't match
the player outline at all... and flickering in the setup screens.
Speed is fast, though.

I was originally using Cat 4.11 drivers... I changed to 4.8 when I
read some people have had better luck with them in 9700Pro/NP boards.

Is this a problem with game setup or driver setup? Any suggested fixes
is it just a typical example of ATI driver flakiness?

I have also read the Cat 5 series aren't recommended for Radeon 9xxx
boards and earlier. Correct?

tia
BuddyWh

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:49:39 -0500, BuddyWh <root@localhost.> wrote:

>I just got this card... I have noticed some flakiness with UT2k3.
>There are strange lines around the players images on screen...
>sometimes a square, almost shadow like effect except it doesn't match
>the player outline at all... and flickering in the setup screens.
>Speed is fast, though.
>
>I was originally using Cat 4.11 drivers... I changed to 4.8 when I
>read some people have had better luck with them in 9700Pro/NP boards.
>
>Is this a problem with game setup or driver setup? Any suggested fixes
>is it just a typical example of ATI driver flakiness?
>
>I have also read the Cat 5 series aren't recommended for Radeon 9xxx
>boards and earlier. Correct?
>
>tia
>BuddyWh

I would suggest you stop using 7 month old drivers and get the current
5.3's.

Pluvious

Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote:

>I would suggest you stop using 7 month old drivers and get the current
>5.3's.
>
>Pluvious

Just tried UT2K3 on my Radeon 9700 Pro with Cat 5.3 installed - works
good.

Ak

BuddyWh wrote:
> I have also read the Cat 5 series aren't recommended for Radeon 9xxx
> boards and earlier. Correct?

Not true. Somebody mentioned that recently and it's just made up.

There are various game fixes still being produced and put into the
drivers. The drivers are unified, so they are fine with "older" cards.

Ben

Are there any specific advantages to the Cat 5 drivers? I mean, for a
9700 user.

I generally don't like updating drivers unless I have really good
reason to. Fixing my UT2k3 problem would be one... but only if I knew
it would. Since no one offers this as a specific remedy it seems a
gamble at this point. If I knew there were other benefits from
upgrading, I'd do so.

What's the best way to upgrade? Just run the driver installer
executable and let it figure everything out?
do the old drivers need to be uninstalled and "cleaned up" first?
what's the best way?

Is there a site with a good FAQ I could read all about this?

Thanks...

BuddyWh wrote:
> Are there any specific advantages to the Cat 5 drivers? I mean, for a
> 9700 user.

Well, yeah, if it fixes a problem in a game you have.

> I generally don't like updating drivers unless I have really good
> reason to. Fixing my UT2k3 problem would be one... but only if I knew
> it would. Since no one offers this as a specific remedy it seems a
> gamble at this point. If I knew there were other benefits from
> upgrading, I'd do so.

Specific benefits for each driver version from 4.9 onwards:

4.9: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_49_Release_Notes.html
4.10: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_410_Release_Notes.html
4.11: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_411_Release_Notes.html
4.12: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_412_Release_Notes.html
5.1: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_51_Release_Notes.html
5.2: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_52_Release_Notes.html
5.3: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_53_Release_Notes.html

> What's the best way to upgrade? Just run the driver installer
> executable and let it figure everything out?
> do the old drivers need to be uninstalled and "cleaned up" first?
> what's the best way?

The release notes tell you how the best way to install the drivers.

> Is there a site with a good FAQ I could read all about this?

www.ati.com :p

Oh, something they won't tell you though... Don't bother with the CCC
drivers. Don't even think about it. Get the smaller, faster, better
control panel drivers.

We don't mind people asking here.

Ben

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:19:29 +0000, Ben Pope
<ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote:

>BuddyWh wrote:
>> Are there any specific advantages to the Cat 5 drivers? I mean, for a
>> 9700 user.
>
>Well, yeah, if it fixes a problem in a game you have.
>
>> I generally don't like updating drivers unless I have really good
>> reason to. Fixing my UT2k3 problem would be one... but only if I knew
>> it would. Since no one offers this as a specific remedy it seems a
>> gamble at this point. If I knew there were other benefits from
>> upgrading, I'd do so.
>
>Specific benefits for each driver version from 4.9 onwards:
>
>4.9: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_49_Release_Notes.html
>4.10: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_410_Release_Notes.html
>4.11: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_411_Release_Notes.html
>4.12: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_412_Release_Notes.html
>5.1: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_51_Release_Notes.html
>5.2: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_52_Release_Notes.html
>5.3: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_53_Release_Notes.html
>
>> What's the best way to upgrade? Just run the driver installer
>> executable and let it figure everything out?
>> do the old drivers need to be uninstalled and "cleaned up" first?
>> what's the best way?
>
>The release notes tell you how the best way to install the drivers.
>
>> Is there a site with a good FAQ I could read all about this?
>
>www.ati.com :p
>
>Oh, something they won't tell you though... Don't bother with the CCC
>drivers. Don't even think about it. Get the smaller, faster, better
>control panel drivers.
>
>We don't mind people asking here.
>
>Ben

I second that, don't install the CCC panel (which needs .NET from M$
too) and just get the one ; Version 5.3 with ATI Control Panels
(23MB).

Pluvious

"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message

> I second that, don't install the CCC panel (which needs .NET from M$
> too) and just get the one ; Version 5.3 with ATI Control Panels
> (23MB).
>
> Pluvious

I in turn third that!!!

NightSky 421 wrote:
> "Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>I second that, don't install the CCC panel (which needs .NET from M$
>>too) and just get the one ; Version 5.3 with ATI Control Panels
>>(23MB).
>>
>>Pluvious
>

> I in turn third that!!!

I fourth it. :p

(or is that cheating)

Ben

I dl'd and installed the CAT5.3's... they fixed the minor problem with
UT2k3, but completely toasted FarCry in binocular views, which are
kinda critical in this game. I read it had problems with some
settings causing ground texture corruption... I avoided those settings
but I still had problems with the binocular views.

Went to CAT5.2's and that seems to be working OK.

I guess part of the mystique of computer gaming is trying to find
drivers that work with all games.

Oh well....

BuddyWh

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:19:29 +0000, Ben Pope
<ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote:

>BuddyWh wrote:
>> Are there any specific advantages to the Cat 5 drivers? I mean, for a
>> 9700 user.
>
>Well, yeah, if it fixes a problem in a game you have.
>
>> I generally don't like updating drivers unless I have really good
>> reason to. Fixing my UT2k3 problem would be one... but only if I knew
>> it would. Since no one offers this as a specific remedy it seems a
>> gamble at this point. If I knew there were other benefits from
>> upgrading, I'd do so.
>
>Specific benefits for each driver version from 4.9 onwards:
>
>4.9: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_49_Release_Notes.html
>4.10: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_410_Release_Notes.html
>4.11: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_411_Release_Notes.html
>4.12: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_412_Release_Notes.html
>5.1: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_51_Release_Notes.html
>5.2: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_52_Release_Notes.html
>5.3: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_53_Release_Notes.html
>
>> What's the best way to upgrade? Just run the driver installer
>> executable and let it figure everything out?
>> do the old drivers need to be uninstalled and "cleaned up" first?
>> what's the best way?
>
>The release notes tell you how the best way to install the drivers.
>
>> Is there a site with a good FAQ I could read all about this?
>
>www.ati.com :p
>
>Oh, something they won't tell you though... Don't bother with the CCC
>drivers. Don't even think about it. Get the smaller, faster, better
>control panel drivers.
>
>We don't mind people asking here.
>
>Ben

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:36:59 -0500, BuddyWh <root@localhost.> wrote:

>I dl'd and installed the CAT5.3's... they fixed the minor problem with
>UT2k3, but completely toasted FarCry in binocular views, which are
>kinda critical in this game. I read it had problems with some
>settings causing ground texture corruption... I avoided those settings
>but I still had problems with the binocular views.
>
>Went to CAT5.2's and that seems to be working OK.
>
>I guess part of the mystique of computer gaming is trying to find
>drivers that work with all games.
>
>Oh well....

I thought FarCry's 1.3 patch fixed that Binocular bug, are you patched
with it? I'm having no problems with the binos with 5.3's.

Pluvious