Half Life 1.1.2.0 (sub)56k

I want to upgrade HL1 to Steam version only for the purpose of viewing a demo
recorded in that version. First, is there a way to do this without the full 200+
meg download? As I am pretty sure the answer to that is "no": does anyone know
where I can find a *resumable* download for the file? Fileplanet, Filefront, etc
do not allow resuming even for subscribers (or occasionally it's possible, but
then resuming gets blocked at a later time).

Finally, is it a relatively simple process to get it up and running with Steam
already installed with HL2? My purposes are limited, so I'd like to know if it's
worth the trouble.

TIA.

nutt wrote:
> I want to upgrade HL1 to Steam version only for the purpose of viewing a demo
> recorded in that version. First, is there a way to do this without the full 200+
> meg download? As I am pretty sure the answer to that is "no": does anyone know
> where I can find a *resumable* download for the file? Fileplanet, Filefront, etc
> do not allow resuming even for subscribers (or occasionally it's possible, but
> then resuming gets blocked at a later time).
>
> Finally, is it a relatively simple process to get it up and running with Steam
> already installed with HL2? My purposes are limited, so I'd like to know if it's
> worth the trouble.

If you already have Steam installed, why are you trying to download it
again?

Steam will automatically convert your existing HL1 files to the Steam
format, and then download the 1120 update.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

"Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
> nutt wrote:

> > Finally, is it a relatively simple process to get it up and running with
Steam
> > already installed with HL2? My purposes are limited, so I'd like to know if
it's
> > worth the trouble.
>
> If you already have Steam installed, why are you trying to download it
> again?
>
> Steam will automatically convert your existing HL1 files to the Steam
> format, and then download the 1120 update.

Oh really? How convenient. I couldn't find any info on this on the
Steam site. So I would move my Half-Life folder into SteamApps?

..

nutt wrote:

>>If you already have Steam installed, why are you trying to download it
>>again?
>>
>>Steam will automatically convert your existing HL1 files to the Steam
>>format, and then download the 1120 update.
>

> Oh really? How convenient. I couldn't find any info on this on the
> Steam site. So I would move my Half-Life folder into SteamApps?

No, everything is done through the Steam UI.. you need to have HL
'active' on your account though. Logon to Steam (online mode) and in
'browse games', click the button which says "Register a product I
already own".. then put in your CD Key, this will allow you to Install
& update the game on that Steam account

*Note* - when you do this, the CD Key is permanently tied to your
account. If you ever wish to re-sell HL2, which is already tied to that
account, you may prefer to have your HL1 CD Key on a seperate/new
account, otherwise for convenience purposes you can just put both games
on the same Steam account.

To copy the files over: From the main menu, click "play games" and
right-click on Half-Life, and choose Install game. Steam will then
find your HL1 install and convert it over for you (it does this
automatically as part of the 'install' process).

It will also ask you if you want to remove your old HL1 installation.
I'd reccomend leaving the old installation intact if you can spare the
HD space - this way you can still play the older version of HL1

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

Ben Cottrell wrote:

> *Note* - when you do this, the CD Key is permanently tied to your
> account. If you ever wish to re-sell HL2, which is already tied to that
> account, you may prefer to have your HL1 CD Key on a seperate/new
> account, otherwise for convenience purposes you can just put both games
> on the same Steam account.

Oh, another quick note - if you use Offline mode alot, then put both
games under the same account. As far as i know, Offline mode can only
ever work for one account at a time

--

> > I couldn't find any info on this on the
> > Steam site. So I would move my Half-Life folder into SteamApps?
>
> No, everything is done through the Steam UI.. you need to have HL
> 'active' on your account though. Logon to Steam (online mode) and in
> 'browse games', click the button which says "Register a product I
> already own".. then put in your CD Key, this will allow you to Install
> & update the game on that Steam account

That doesn't work. The CD key for my Half-Life GOTY is of the
format 1111-22222-3333, which I assume is why Steam won't
recognize it as valid.

Oh never mind. Typed it in wrong.

Nothing to see here. Move along...