How can I retain ability to save to my portable disk's roo..

a b 8 Security
June 27, 2005 2:35:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hello
How can I retain ability to save to my portable disk's root on other
computers? My portable disk file system is NTFS. Only two accounts on two my
computers have access to my portable disk. Giving grants to the CREATOR
OWNER does not allow me saving to my disk's root on other computers.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 27, 2005 2:35:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Dmitry,

We earlier tried to explain to you that Creator Owner is only
a placeholder, stating what permissions will be granted to the
account that defines something new. For that account to define
something new it however needs a direct grant to it or one of
the groups it is in. Look at how the root of C is permissioned
in XP or W2k3 and you will see Users have special grants
allowing defining new folders at the root of C and that the
Creator Owner has Full, which means if an account named
Dmitry is in Users then it can define a new folder NewFolder
and (due to the Creator Owner grant) then NewFolder will
have a grant of Full to the account Dmitry.

Before we told you that you either need to grant to the
accounts on each machine, while that device is mounted
there, or, you need to grant to a pre-defined group like
Administrators or Users (as these are recognized by all
instances of Windows).

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

"Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
> Hello
> How can I retain ability to save to my portable disk's root on other
> computers? My portable disk file system is NTFS. Only two accounts on two
my
> computers have access to my portable disk. Giving grants to the CREATOR
> OWNER does not allow me saving to my disk's root on other computers.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 27, 2005 5:31:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

The Users' Special Permissions are grayed out at the root of C in My Windows
XP Pro, so I do not see the "defining new folders". How to allow "Everyone"
defining new folders at the root of my portable disk?

news:o lx%23j2ueFHA.1036@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Dmitry,
>
> We earlier tried to explain to you that Creator Owner is only
> a placeholder, stating what permissions will be granted to the
> account that defines something new. For that account to define
> something new it however needs a direct grant to it or one of
> the groups it is in. Look at how the root of C is permissioned
> in XP or W2k3 and you will see Users have special grants
> allowing defining new folders at the root of C and that the
> Creator Owner has Full, which means if an account named
> Dmitry is in Users then it can define a new folder NewFolder
> and (due to the Creator Owner grant) then NewFolder will
> have a grant of Full to the account Dmitry.
>
> Before we told you that you either need to grant to the
> accounts on each machine, while that device is mounted
> there, or, you need to grant to a pre-defined group like
> Administrators or Users (as these are recognized by all
> instances of Windows).
>

> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
>
> "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
>> Hello
>> How can I retain ability to save to my portable disk's root on other
>> computers? My portable disk file system is NTFS. Only two accounts on two
> my
>> computers have access to my portable disk. Giving grants to the CREATOR
>> OWNER does not allow me saving to my disk's root on other computers.

a b 8 Security
June 27, 2005 5:31:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Use the Advanced button so that you see the detail view of
the grants. In the generic view the Special box just indicates
that all of the grants cannot be shown in that view. When
you get to the Advanced view, notice that the dropbox at
top can control to what a grant (or deny) applies, like
Files only, or Subfolders and files, etc.
A grant only shows in the generic view if it is for This
folder, subfolders, and files

--

> The Users' Special Permissions are grayed out at the root of C in My
Windows
> XP Pro, so I do not see the "defining new folders". How to allow
"Everyone"
> defining new folders at the root of my portable disk?
>
> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> news:o lx%23j2ueFHA.1036@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Dmitry,
> >
> > We earlier tried to explain to you that Creator Owner is only
> > a placeholder, stating what permissions will be granted to the
> > account that defines something new. For that account to define
> > something new it however needs a direct grant to it or one of
> > the groups it is in. Look at how the root of C is permissioned
> > in XP or W2k3 and you will see Users have special grants
> > allowing defining new folders at the root of C and that the
> > Creator Owner has Full, which means if an account named
> > Dmitry is in Users then it can define a new folder NewFolder
> > and (due to the Creator Owner grant) then NewFolder will
> > have a grant of Full to the account Dmitry.
> >
> > Before we told you that you either need to grant to the
> > accounts on each machine, while that device is mounted
> > there, or, you need to grant to a pre-defined group like
> > Administrators or Users (as these are recognized by all
> > instances of Windows).
> >

> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> >
> > "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
> >> Hello
> >> How can I retain ability to save to my portable disk's root on other
> >> computers? My portable disk file system is NTFS. Only two accounts on
two
> > my
> >> computers have access to my portable disk. Giving grants to the CREATOR
> >> OWNER does not allow me saving to my disk's root on other computers.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 28, 2005 5:01:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Permission Entry for Local Disk (C:)  (Name: Everyone) does not contain
"defining new folders". How to allow anybody saving to my portable drive
root? Should I grant full access to my drive's root to "Everyone" or
"Anonymous logon"?
> Use the Advanced button so that you see the detail view of
> the grants. In the generic view the Special box just indicates
> that all of the grants cannot be shown in that view. When
> you get to the Advanced view, notice that the dropbox at
> top can control to what a grant (or deny) applies, like
> Files only, or Subfolders and files, etc.
> A grant only shows in the generic view if it is for This
> folder, subfolders, and files
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
>
> "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
>> The Users' Special Permissions are grayed out at the root of C in My
> Windows
>> XP Pro, so I do not see the "defining new folders". How to allow
> "Everyone"
>> defining new folders at the root of my portable disk?
>>
>> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
>> news:o lx%23j2ueFHA.1036@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > Dmitry,
>> >
>> > We earlier tried to explain to you that Creator Owner is only
>> > a placeholder, stating what permissions will be granted to the
>> > account that defines something new. For that account to define
>> > something new it however needs a direct grant to it or one of
>> > the groups it is in. Look at how the root of C is permissioned
>> > in XP or W2k3 and you will see Users have special grants
>> > allowing defining new folders at the root of C and that the
>> > Creator Owner has Full, which means if an account named
>> > Dmitry is in Users then it can define a new folder NewFolder
>> > and (due to the Creator Owner grant) then NewFolder will
>> > have a grant of Full to the account Dmitry.
>> >
>> > Before we told you that you either need to grant to the
>> > accounts on each machine, while that device is mounted
>> > there, or, you need to grant to a pre-defined group like
>> > Administrators or Users (as these are recognized by all
>> > instances of Windows).
>> >

>> > --
>> > Roger Abell
>> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
>> >
>> > "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
> two
>> > my

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 28, 2005 5:32:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I would use such as Administrators Full and Users Modify
These are "well-known identifiers" that will be recognized
on any system, but would leave the disk open to access on
whatever machine it is attached.

--

> Permission Entry for Local Disk (C:)  (Name: Everyone) does not contain
> "defining new folders". How to allow anybody saving to my portable drive
> root? Should I grant full access to my drive's root to "Everyone" or
> "Anonymous logon"?
> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > Use the Advanced button so that you see the detail view of
> > the grants. In the generic view the Special box just indicates
> > that all of the grants cannot be shown in that view. When
> > you get to the Advanced view, notice that the dropbox at
> > top can control to what a grant (or deny) applies, like
> > Files only, or Subfolders and files, etc.
> > A grant only shows in the generic view if it is for This
> > folder, subfolders, and files
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> >
> > "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
> >> The Users' Special Permissions are grayed out at the root of C in My
> > Windows
> >> XP Pro, so I do not see the "defining new folders". How to allow
> > "Everyone"
> >> defining new folders at the root of my portable disk?
> >>
> >> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> >> news:o lx%23j2ueFHA.1036@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> > two

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 30, 2005 1:35:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Will Users be able to save new files to my portable drive root with the
Modify rights?
>I would use such as Administrators Full and Users Modify
> These are "well-known identifiers" that will be recognized
> on any system, but would leave the disk open to access on
> whatever machine it is attached.
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
>
> "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
>> Permission Entry for Local Disk (C:)  (Name: Everyone) does not contain
>> "defining new folders". How to allow anybody saving to my portable drive
>> root? Should I grant full access to my drive's root to "Everyone" or
>> "Anonymous logon"?
>> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
>> > Use the Advanced button so that you see the detail view of
>> > the grants. In the generic view the Special box just indicates
>> > that all of the grants cannot be shown in that view. When
>> > you get to the Advanced view, notice that the dropbox at
>> > top can control to what a grant (or deny) applies, like
>> > Files only, or Subfolders and files, etc.
>> > A grant only shows in the generic view if it is for This
>> > folder, subfolders, and files
>> >
>> > --
>> > Roger Abell
>> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
>> >
>> > "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
>> > Windows
>> > "Everyone"

> on
>> > two

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 30, 2005 1:35:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

yes, if it is a generic modify

--

> Will Users be able to save new files to my portable drive root with the
> Modify rights?
> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> >I would use such as Administrators Full and Users Modify
> > These are "well-known identifiers" that will be recognized
> > on any system, but would leave the disk open to access on
> > whatever machine it is attached.
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> >
> > "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
> >> Permission Entry for Local Disk (C:)  (Name: Everyone) does not contain
> >> "defining new folders". How to allow anybody saving to my portable
drive
> >> root? Should I grant full access to my drive's root to "Everyone" or
> >> "Anonymous logon"?
> >> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message

> > on

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 1, 2005 11:31:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thanks Roger!
> yes, if it is a generic modify
>
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
>
> "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
>> Will Users be able to save new files to my portable drive root with the
>> Modify rights?
>> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
>> >I would use such as Administrators Full and Users Modify
>> > These are "well-known identifiers" that will be recognized
>> > on any system, but would leave the disk open to access on
>> > whatever machine it is attached.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Roger Abell
>> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
>> >
>> > "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
> drive

> accounts
>> > on

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 2, 2005 2:12:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

por nada Dmitry

--
Roger
> Thanks Roger!
> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > yes, if it is a generic modify
> >
> > --
> > Roger Abell
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> >
> > "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
> >> Will Users be able to save new files to my portable drive root with the
> >> Modify rights?
> >> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message

> > drive

> > accounts

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 11, 2005 10:24:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

How can I get access to my files and folders on the portable drive on other
computers? I do not want to give access to a group because I don't want
Administrators of our domain have direct access to my files on the drive.
They will not take ownership because I will see this.

!