Idiotic ATI website

Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks away
from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs, incidentally.
Something is definitety severely wrong with these morons. I'm shocked
they're smart enough to put out any sort of product at all...

J wrote:

> Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks away
> from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs,
> incidentally.
> Something is definitety severely wrong with these morons. I'm shocked
> they're smart enough to put out any sort of product at all...

I count 5 clicks from the homepage to the Windows "open or save" box. Where
do you get "like 17"?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

J <speechee2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks
> away from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs,
> incidentally. Something is definitety severely wrong with these
> morons. I'm shocked they're smart enough to put out any sort of
> product at all...

I agree that the site is hard to use. The fonts are too small to read on
any high res system, and the layout too big to read on a system that doesn't
have any drivers installed. The menus are designed for IE only, and often
freak out with Mozilla or Thunderbird.
I gave up trying to find a BIOS on the site -- if anyone has managed to
navigate to that, you're far more patient than I am.

Mind, the nVidia site isn't *that* much better. And Matrox won't even let
you into their site unless you declare what business segment they should put
you in. Their driver download page, though, is something that both ATI and
nVidia should take a good look at. There's actual *text* descriptions that
help the customer make the right choice.
http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/
The ATI and nVidia sites, on the other hand, are horrible if you don't know
the exact jargon (and use the right browser and desktop resolution).

Regards,
--
*Art

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> J wrote:
>
> > Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks
away
> > from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs,
> > incidentally.
> > Something is definitety severely wrong with these morons. I'm shocked
> > they're smart enough to put out any sort of product at all...
>
> I count 5 clicks from the homepage to the Windows "open or save" box.
Where
> do you get "like 17"?

I hope you're not serious! I got it from a dictionary...it's called
hyperbole.

Anyway at first I couldn't even find any mention of a WindowsMe driver I
needed. Until I noticed a "more..." which you have to click to get to the
full list for the category. That's so plainly idiotic I conclude that they
or their web designer was on heroin at the time. The design they had before
was really quite good and that model should have been kept. What made them
go to huge dumb and cluttered bulleted text lists? Really quite stupid I
say.

Also, once you tell it what system you have, it could list all the available
downloads. Why do you have to go to 18 different pages to get drivers, then
MMC, then, etc.? Not smart.

This reminds me of Multimedia Center. That trashware changes each version
to suddenly include completely random new bugs for no apparent reason.

Arthur Hagen wrote:

> J <speechee2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks
>> away from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs,
>> incidentally. Something is definitety severely wrong with these
>> morons. I'm shocked they're smart enough to put out any sort of
>> product at all...
>
> I agree that the site is hard to use. The fonts are too small to read on
> any high res system,

I didn't have any trouble adjusting the font size.

> and the layout too big to read on a system that
> doesn't
> have any drivers installed.

Viewing at full screen at 640x480 wasn't any great burden for me under IE or
FireFox--didn't try it with any others.

> The menus are designed for IE only, and often
> freak out with Mozilla or Thunderbird.

Works fine for me under Konqueror and Mozilla. Took me a while to get
anywhere with Lynx, but that's probably because I don't know Lynx very
well. Still was able to navigate to the drivers with no trouble.

> I gave up trying to find a BIOS on the site -- if anyone has managed to
> navigate to that, you're far more patient than I am.

When did they _ever_ have a BIOS on the site for anything but Macs?

> Mind, the nVidia site isn't *that* much better. And Matrox won't even let
> you into their site unless you declare what business segment they should
> put
> you in. Their driver download page, though, is something that both ATI
> and
> nVidia should take a good look at. There's actual *text* descriptions
> that help the customer make the right choice.
> http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/
> The ATI and nVidia sites, on the other hand, are horrible if you don't
> know the exact jargon (and use the right browser and desktop resolution).

Now let's see, on the ATI site you need to know your OS, your video board,
and whether you want MMC. Doesn't seem that hard to me.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Apparently the site is designed to work with product registration, so you'll
get custom-filtered driver downloads and support FAQs.

Interesting enough it uses SSL, and will log you off after 10 minutes of
inactivity.

> Apparently the site is designed to work with product registration, so
you'll
> get custom-filtered driver downloads and support FAQs.

That seems to be the case. I've never been a big fan of giving personal
information to those who don't really need it, and I really hate those
custom-filtering things. They're great for those who have one computer,
don't know much about this stuff, and want to have their hand held, but it's
a pain for those of us who work on more than one computer, assist friends
and family, or add aftermarket stuff. Dell's site has caused me much
annoyance. I installed a mini-PCI network/modem in a Dell laptop that
didn't come with one from the factory, and even though this was a Dell part
from another model, finding the right driver for it was pure hell, made
worse when that custom stuff kept filtering out everything else.

> Interesting enough it uses SSL, and will log you off after 10 minutes of
> inactivity.

That, too, is a pain, and I hope they drop it. Try having more than one
window open on their sight. heh

Pagan

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:01:02 -0800, "Pagan" <DirtySanchez@chonch.com>
wrote:

>"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Apparently the site is designed to work with product registration, so
>you'll
>> get custom-filtered driver downloads and support FAQs.
>
>That seems to be the case. I've never been a big fan of giving personal
>information to those who don't really need it, and I really hate those
>custom-filtering things. They're great for those who have one computer,
>don't know much about this stuff, and want to have their hand held, but it's
>a pain for those of us who work on more than one computer, assist friends
>and family, or add aftermarket stuff. Dell's site has caused me much
>annoyance. I installed a mini-PCI network/modem in a Dell laptop that
>didn't come with one from the factory, and even though this was a Dell part
>from another model, finding the right driver for it was pure hell, made
>worse when that custom stuff kept filtering out everything else.
>
>> Interesting enough it uses SSL, and will log you off after 10 minutes of
>> inactivity.
>
>That, too, is a pain, and I hope they drop it. Try having more than one
>window open on their sight. heh
>
>Pagan

Discussion about the changes to the download page.. the vote so far is
4139 to 1062..

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=69940&page=1&pp=15

Pluvious

"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:01:02 -0800, "Pagan" <DirtySanchez@chonch.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Apparently the site is designed to work with product registration, so
> >you'll
> >> get custom-filtered driver downloads and support FAQs.
> >
> >That seems to be the case. I've never been a big fan of giving personal
> >information to those who don't really need it, and I really hate those
> >custom-filtering things. They're great for those who have one computer,
> >don't know much about this stuff, and want to have their hand held, but
it's
> >a pain for those of us who work on more than one computer, assist friends
> >and family, or add aftermarket stuff. Dell's site has caused me much
> >annoyance. I installed a mini-PCI network/modem in a Dell laptop that
> >didn't come with one from the factory, and even though this was a Dell
part
> >from another model, finding the right driver for it was pure hell, made
> >worse when that custom stuff kept filtering out everything else.
> >
> >> Interesting enough it uses SSL, and will log you off after 10 minutes
of
> >> inactivity.
> >
> >That, too, is a pain, and I hope they drop it. Try having more than one
> >window open on their sight. heh
> >
> >Pagan
> >

> Discussion about the changes to the download page.. the vote so far is
> 4139 to 1062..
>

> http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=69940&page=1&pp=15

Thanks for the link.

Pagan

"J" <speechee2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks away
> from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs,
incidentally.
> Something is definitety severely wrong with these morons. I'm shocked
> they're smart enough to put out any sort of product at all...

They've also established a new help centre which doesn't let you contact
them by email anymore. I was in the middle of an email discussion with a
customer care contact when 'kaboom', I got an automated "unmanned address"
message and a link to the new no-help centre. End of discussion!

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"J" <speechee2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks away
> from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs,
> incidentally.
> Something is definitety severely wrong with these morons. I'm shocked
> they're smart enough to put out any sort of product at all...

I agree - the old layout was far easier for downloading drivers etc ..

Pagan wrote:

> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Apparently the site is designed to work with product registration, so
> you'll
>> get custom-filtered driver downloads and support FAQs.
>
> That seems to be the case. I've never been a big fan of giving personal
> information to those who don't really need it, and I really hate those
> custom-filtering things. They're great for those who have one computer,
> don't know much about this stuff, and want to have their hand held, but
> it's a pain for those of us who work on more than one computer, assist
> friends
> and family, or add aftermarket stuff. Dell's site has caused me much
> annoyance. I installed a mini-PCI network/modem in a Dell laptop that
> didn't come with one from the factory, and even though this was a Dell
> part from another model, finding the right driver for it was pure hell,
> made worse when that custom stuff kept filtering out everything else.

The machine I used to access the ATI site does not have an ATI video board
in it and is not "registered" with ATI in any fashion. Yet I seem to have
no trouble navigating the site.

>> Interesting enough it uses SSL, and will log you off after 10 minutes of
>> inactivity.
>
> That, too, is a pain, and I hope they drop it. Try having more than one
> window open on their sight. heh

Works fine for me.

--

J wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> J wrote:
>>
>> > Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks
> away
>> > from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs,
>> > incidentally.
>> > Something is definitety severely wrong with these morons. I'm shocked
>> > they're smart enough to put out any sort of product at all...
>>
>> I count 5 clicks from the homepage to the Windows "open or save" box.
> Where
>> do you get "like 17"?
>
> I hope you're not serious! I got it from a dictionary...it's called
> hyperbole.
>
> Anyway at first I couldn't even find any mention of a WindowsMe driver I
> needed.

What driver was this? "Windows ME" is right there 2/3 of the way down the
driver page.

> Until I noticed a "more..." which you have to click to get to the
> full list for the category. That's so plainly idiotic I conclude that
> they
> or their web designer was on heroin at the time. The design they had
> before
> was really quite good and that model should have been kept. What made
> them
> go to huge dumb and cluttered bulleted text lists? Really quite stupid I
> say.

I see no "bulleted text lists". Perhaps you are using some nonstandard
definition of "bullet"?

> Also, once you tell it what system you have, it could list all the
> available
> downloads. Why do you have to go to 18 different pages to get drivers,
> then
> MMC, then, etc.? Not smart.

More hyperbole? There's a page for the video driver and another for MMC.
Two clicks. You remind of George Jetson complaining of his gruelling day
at work at which he actually had to push the button.

> This reminds me of Multimedia Center. That trashware changes each version
> to suddenly include completely random new bugs for no apparent reason.

So why do you upgrade it?

--

> J wrote:
>

> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > I hope you're not serious! I got it from a dictionary...it's called
> > hyperbole.
> >
> > Anyway at first I couldn't even find any mention of a WindowsMe driver I
> > needed.
>
> What driver was this? "Windows ME" is right there 2/3 of the way down the
> driver page.

See below.

> > Until I noticed a "more..." which you have to click to get to the
> > full list for the category. That's so plainly idiotic I conclude that
> > they
> > or their web designer was on heroin at the time. The design they had
> > before
> > was really quite good and that model should have been kept. What made
> > them
> > go to huge dumb and cluttered bulleted text lists? Really quite stupid
> > say.
>
> I see no "bulleted text lists". Perhaps you are using some nonstandard
> definition of "bullet"?

Only the main list on the right side after clicking "drivers &
software"--the one under the Knowledge Base heading. And in fact this is
what I was using at first that led to the frustration. Click through the
cluttered lists (or whatever they're called) and try to find AIW Radeon
drivers for WinMe. You'll see the "more..." nonsense. It's all very
clumsy.

However using the navigation bar, or whatever, on the left, makes things
much easier. I just ignored/didn't notice it at first. Still not
particuarly logical IMO, but much better.

> > Also, once you tell it what system you have, it could list all the
> > available
> > downloads. Why do you have to go to 18 different pages to get drivers,
> > then
> > MMC, then, etc.? Not smart.
>
> More hyperbole? There's a page for the video driver and another for MMC.
> Two clicks. You remind of George Jetson complaining of his gruelling day
> at work at which he actually had to push the button.

Nope. To do the full install I needed Remote Wonder junk too. That's 3
separate locations for files that should be all in one place. And it's far
more than 3 clicks after all the going back and switching categories, etc.
How many clicks would there have to be before you considered it a problem?
And why should your arbitrary number be the acceptable one? You might have
a higher tolerance for stupidity--fine; I'm only asking for best efficiency.

> > This reminds me of Multimedia Center. That trashware changes each
version
> > to suddenly include completely random new bugs for no apparent reason.
>
> So why do you upgrade it?

This is funny actually...I don't! Or rather I can't...at least not this
version. I just tried to go to 9.06 today and no matter what I try, the TV
app won't start. So back to 9.02 which still works for me. This is another
whole story in itself though, this utter MMC mess. File player happened to
work in 9.06 and the FF/RW volume bug is still there! That's part of the
reason I was trying to upgrade. Explain that one, or let's just admit that
that whoever's in charge is either really really dumb or extraordinarily
clumsy.

Gonzo

This thread is yet another perfect example our American education system
going to hell.

Some people simply do not know how to read. And some who do know how to
read have zero comprehension skills.

In ten more years we will be another third world nation. Trully Sad.

J wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> J wrote:
>>

>> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I hope you're not serious! I got it from a dictionary...it's called
>> > hyperbole.
>> >
>> > Anyway at first I couldn't even find any mention of a WindowsMe driver
>> > I needed.
>>
>> What driver was this? "Windows ME" is right there 2/3 of the way down
>> the driver page.
>
> See below.
>

>> > Until I noticed a "more..." which you have to click to get to the
>> > full list for the category. That's so plainly idiotic I conclude that
>> > they
>> > or their web designer was on heroin at the time. The design they had
>> > before
>> > was really quite good and that model should have been kept. What made
>> > them
>> > go to huge dumb and cluttered bulleted text lists? Really quite stupid
>> > say.
>>
>> I see no "bulleted text lists". Perhaps you are using some nonstandard
>> definition of "bullet"?
>
> Only the main list on the right side after clicking "drivers &
> software"--the one under the Knowledge Base heading. And in fact this is
> what I was using at first that led to the frustration. Click through the
> cluttered lists (or whatever they're called) and try to find AIW Radeon
> drivers for WinMe. You'll see the "more..." nonsense. It's all very
> clumsy.

What I see is that below "Knowledge base" there are 11 lines, not counting
blanks. The ninth is "Windows ME Drivers and Software". That's using
Konqueror. The same using Mozilla. The same on Lynx. The same on IE.
The same on Firefox. The same at 640x480. I see no "more...".

> However using the navigation bar, or whatever, on the left, makes things
> much easier. I just ignored/didn't notice it at first. Still not
> particuarly logical IMO, but much better.
>
>> > Also, once you tell it what system you have, it could list all the
>> > available
>> > downloads. Why do you have to go to 18 different pages to get drivers,
>> > then
>> > MMC, then, etc.? Not smart.
>>
>> More hyperbole? There's a page for the video driver and another for MMC.
>> Two clicks. You remind of George Jetson complaining of his gruelling day
>> at work at which he actually had to push the button.
>
> Nope. To do the full install I needed Remote Wonder junk too. That's 3
> separate locations for files that should be all in one place.

Why should the Remote Wonder stuff be in the same place as the rest of the
drivers? It's not specific to a video board, the Remote wonder is shipped
with tuner boards as well.

> And it's
> far more than 3 clicks after all the going back and switching categories,
> etc. How many clicks would there have to be before you considered it a
> problem?
> And why should your arbitrary number be the acceptable one? You might
> have a higher tolerance for stupidity--fine; I'm only asking for best
> efficiency.

There's no "arbitrary number". I just don't find it burdensome to click a
mouse button.

>> > This reminds me of Multimedia Center. That trashware changes each
> version
>> > to suddenly include completely random new bugs for no apparent reason.
>>
>> So why do you upgrade it?
>
> This is funny actually...I don't! Or rather I can't...at least not this
> version. I just tried to go to 9.06 today and no matter what I try, the
> TV
> app won't start. So back to 9.02 which still works for me. This is
> another
> whole story in itself though, this utter MMC mess. File player happened
> work in 9.06 and the FF/RW volume bug is still there! That's part of the
> reason I was trying to upgrade. Explain that one, or let's just admit
> that that whoever's in charge is either really really dumb or
> extraordinarily clumsy.

Personally I use MCE.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Mike

Splendid

I got the xp drivers in 2 clicks, typed ATI in google, clicked the top ATI
link, then clicked 5.3 XP drivers on the left side of the page. You might
want to count a 3rd click, to let windows download from the site. But
that's not an ATI thing of course, it's an i.e. security setting...

Mike

"J" <speechee2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks away
> from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs,
> incidentally.
> Something is definitety severely wrong with these morons. I'm shocked
> they're smart enough to put out any sort of product at all...

"J" <speechee2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks away
> from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs,
> incidentally.
> Something is definitety severely wrong with these morons. I'm shocked
> they're smart enough to put out any sort of product at all...

I get there in 5 clicks for XP or 6 for ME.

1. At the site ATI.COM, click on the Drivers and Software button (the
fourth gray button across the top)
2. The Knowledge Base Screen will come up which lists the various OSes.
Choose your OS.
3. A list of Product types comes up (RADEON, All In Wonder, etc.) Click on
the type of your graphics card.
4. For ME, click more...
5. Now you're at the screen that allows you to choose either the Catalyst
drivers or MMC. Click on one of those two
6. Choose if you want the CCC or the old Control Panel and there you go.

Tom Lake

> J wrote:

> > Only the main list on the right side after clicking "drivers &
> > software"--the one under the Knowledge Base heading. And in fact this
is
> > what I was using at first that led to the frustration. Click through
the
> > cluttered lists (or whatever they're called) and try to find AIW Radeon
> > drivers for WinMe. You'll see the "more..." nonsense. It's all very
> > clumsy.
>
> What I see is that below "Knowledge base" there are 11 lines, not counting
> blanks. The ninth is "Windows ME Drivers and Software". That's using
> Konqueror. The same using Mozilla. The same on Lynx. The same on IE.
> The same on Firefox. The same at 640x480. I see no "more...".

This is pointless. Even if I re-explain, that the "more" thing comes later
*as you click thru and try to find the drivers* (as I said), you'll just say
it's not really that bad, or "well, you found it didn't you" or some such
thing.

> > Nope. To do the full install I needed Remote Wonder junk too. That's 3
> > separate locations for files that should be all in one place.
>
> Why should the Remote Wonder stuff be in the same place as the rest of the
> drivers? It's not specific to a video board, the Remote wonder is shipped
> with tuner boards as well.

Who cares? Once it knows my system (board/OS) I think it would be simpler
and more efficient to list *all downloads for my system* on the same page.
To answer your question then, re-read the previous sentence.

I'm not sure what it is we're discussing here. Web design is subjective,
but I'm only stating that I think improvments can be made. Do you assert
that no improvements are possible? The fact that others have problems with
this site, shows that this isn't the case. Unless you think that fewer
people having trouble with it wouldn't represent an improvement! Obviously
absurd. What is your standpoint then? Assuming little expense is required,
should ATI make any improvments to the site? The only alternative would be
to think the designers are so inept that any attempt would fail and only
make things worse.

J wrote:
> Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks
> away from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs,
> incidentally. Something is definitety severely wrong with these
> morons. I'm shocked they're smart enough to put out any sort of
> product at all...

well, somethings up with you.

I typed ati.com into my address bar and on the left of the main page is the
latest drivers, both the CCC and control panel versions. One click of the
mouse and it was downloading.

So I thought you must be talking about going through to the download area.
Took 5 clicks from the main page to download the driver.

Not too shabby really.

"cowboyz" <me@here.now> wrote in message

> J wrote:
> > Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks
> > away from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs,
> > incidentally. Something is definitety severely wrong with these
> > morons. I'm shocked they're smart enough to put out any sort of
> > product at all...
>
> well, somethings up with you.
>
> I typed ati.com into my address bar and on the left of the main page is
the
> latest drivers, both the CCC and control panel versions. One click of
the
> mouse and it was downloading.
>
> So I thought you must be talking about going through to the download area.
> Took 5 clicks from the main page to download the driver.
>
> Not too shabby really.

It's the site. On one computer, it only took a few clicks to get to the
downloads. On another, it took many more, because for some reason I have to
go through the old menus first before getting to the new ones. It was even
more exciting getting the older drivers for the 8500dv, because you have to
look very carefully to see there's yet another almost hidden menu,
especially when your video drivers aren't loaded yet.

The CCC is a mess, and the new CP version isn't much better. Lord help you
if you choose large fonts.

Pagan

Pagan wrote:

> "cowboyz" <me@here.now> wrote in message
>>

>> J wrote:
>> > Why did they go and change it again? Now you're only like 17 clicks
>> > away from finding your download--which contains 17 brand new bugs,
>> > incidentally. Something is definitety severely wrong with these
>> > morons. I'm shocked they're smart enough to put out any sort of
>> > product at all...
>>
>> well, somethings up with you.
>>
>> I typed ati.com into my address bar and on the left of the main page is
> the
>> latest drivers, both the CCC and control panel versions. One click of
> the
>> mouse and it was downloading.
>>
>> So I thought you must be talking about going through to the download
>> area. Took 5 clicks from the main page to download the driver.
>>
>> Not too shabby really.
>
> It's the site. On one computer, it only took a few clicks to get to the
> downloads. On another, it took many more, because for some reason I have
> go through the old menus first before getting to the new ones.

Then you should fix whatever has your browsing hosed up on that machine.
Maybe flush the browser cache.

> It was
> even more exciting getting the older drivers for the 8500dv, because you
> have to look very carefully to see there's yet another almost hidden menu,
> especially when your video drivers aren't loaded yet.

Hidden where? Under "previous drivers and software"? If you call that
"hidden" you need new glasses.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
<snip>
> The bottom line is that while the ATI site may not be up for any Web
> excellence awards the criticisms I see are mere carping.

Bitching common on newsgroups. It's a fine way to blow off steam.

On the other hand, while not exactly rare, it's somewhat uncommon for a
poster to run around telling everybody that they're wrong, and that what
they see as difficult, tedious, and annoying is really exceedingly easy.

So what is it, exactly, that you are hoping to accomplish with your posts?
I'm certainly not trying to be offensive or imply somehow that you are doing
something wrong, but I am curious as to why you feel the need to tell
everybody, repeatedly, how easy it is for you to navigate ATI's site.

Frankly, it's foolish to be critical of a user of a web site because they
find it difficult to navigate. The whole point of the WWW is to make things
easier to find, and until it was developed, most folks stayed away from the
internet as well as BBS's due to the complexity and confusion of text based
'surfing'. If a web site isn't easily used by the least experienced of
users, the developer has failed in his job. The same applies when a web
site is radically different from others of it's type. I've assembled half a
dozen computers in the past week, and not one of the sites I downloaded
drivers and applications from is even remotely similar to ATI's new site,
nor did I have any trouble instantly finding what I need.

The fact that at least four thousand other people in the past few days have
the same issues shows that it's not a browser, vision, or IQ problem.

Apparently, you don't agree, so I'm quite interested as to why.

Pagan

Pagan wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> The bottom line is that while the ATI site may not be up for any Web
>> excellence awards the criticisms I see are mere carping.
>
> Bitching common on newsgroups. It's a fine way to blow off steam.

And so is bitching at the bitchers.

> On the other hand, while not exactly rare, it's somewhat uncommon for a
> poster to run around telling everybody that they're wrong, and that what
> they see as difficult, tedious, and annoying is really exceedingly easy.

I don't see how 5 clicks of the mouse is "difficult, tedious, and annoying"
for even the most deeply rooted couch potato.

> So what is it, exactly, that you are hoping to accomplish with your posts?

I'm not "hoping to accomplish" _anything_.

> I'm certainly not trying to be offensive or imply somehow that you are
> doing something wrong, but I am curious as to why you feel the need to
> tell everybody, repeatedly, how easy it is for you to navigate ATI's site.

Because each poster has had a different complaint and when I checked it out
I found that the behavior of the site was not as described.

> Frankly, it's foolish to be critical of a user of a web site because they
> find it difficult to navigate. The whole point of the WWW is to make
> things easier to find, and until it was developed, most folks stayed away
> from the internet as well as BBS's due to the complexity and confusion of
> text based
> 'surfing'. If a web site isn't easily used by the least experienced of
> users, the developer has failed in his job.

"The least experienced of users" shouldn't be upgrading video drivers
without someone to hold their hand.

> The same applies when a web
> site is radically different from others of it's type. I've assembled half
> a dozen computers in the past week, and not one of the sites I downloaded
> drivers and applications from is even remotely similar to ATI's new site,
> nor did I have any trouble instantly finding what I need.

I don't consider a navigation frame to be a "radical difference".

> The fact that at least four thousand other people in the past few days
> have the same issues shows that it's not a browser, vision, or IQ problem.

I notice that the choices given were "Is a total disaster id like the old
one back please" and "I love it, I dont know what all the fuss is about".
It would have been interesting to see how many hits they got on "I don't
give a hoot in Hell, they both work fine for me".

> Apparently, you don't agree, so I'm quite interested as to why.

Because my observations are different from those of the people who are
complaining.

--

> Pagan wrote:

> > Frankly, it's foolish to be critical of a user of a web site because
they
> > find it difficult to navigate. The whole point of the WWW is to make
> > things easier to find, and until it was developed, most folks stayed
away
> > from the internet as well as BBS's due to the complexity and confusion
of
> > text based
> > 'surfing'. If a web site isn't easily used by the least experienced of
> > users, the developer has failed in his job.
>
> "The least experienced of users" shouldn't be upgrading video drivers
> without someone to hold their hand.

Unfair. Anyone should be able to upgrade video drivers. It's hardly very
complex, although ATI stupidity--including the website itself,
ironically--makes it harder than it should be. And it's not just drivers.
Anyone should be able to update say Multimedia Center, which sometimes adds
significant new features that anyone who has an AIW card would want. But at
least you seem to concede that navigating the site requires hand-holding,
which it shouldn't.